Hi guys, I have read online that one of the common issues with HTC 10 is the self-unmounting of the SD card. Unfortunately, mine is formatted as internal memory and encrypted. Yes, double whammy.

Facts:

1. My SD card unmounts itself after about 60-90 seconds of rebooting
    2. It sometimes mounts itself again but usually I have to reboot the phone
    3. I have some invaluable family videos/photos that I would like to transfer but the memory card doesn't remain mounted long enough for me to do anything
    4. My Mac does not recognise the SD card when inserted on its own, because of the encryption I guess
    5. I am currently on Android 6.0.1 and software number is 1.95.401.4
    6. My set indicates a software update available (2.41.401.3) around 1.17 GB but every time I try to download it I get this message:

"Your phone storage is not available to store the system software update because it is being used by your PC as USB storage. Disconnect USB and press OK to start the download, or press Cancel to exit."

This happens even when the phone is not connected to the PC/Mac so I am guessing its got something to do with the SD card being unmounted.

7. Any chance of this SD card issue going away after the update?
    8. Is there a way to update the phone offline?
    9. Is this a hardware or software issue?

I really need help here guys, I'm not sure what my options are at this point but I would really, really like to get access to my family media. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTC 10
    SanDisk 128GB microSD card
    04-01-2017 07:26 AM
    Wow man, that sounds terrible. I've never had an issue with my 64gb SanDisk ultra. So you have access to a Windows PC? I would recommend you do a chkdsk on a terminal emulator. See if there are any bad sectors that can be repaired. It's worked for me before on external storage containers. Just never had to do it with a SanDisk.
    04-01-2017 09:45 AM
    I think there are a few problems here. First and obviously there is an issue with the card itself. Probably no way around that one without replacing it with another (higher speed) one. Another problem is since you've formatted it as adoptive storage, I don't think any computer is able to recognize it. Thats a big reason I format mine as removable storage. Big safety net there...Third problem is, Macs no longer recognize phones as storage. Used to, not since they updated the IOS. You can still use Android File Transfer for Mac as well as HTC Sync Manager to transfer files. I don't think updating tour phone is going to have any affect on the SD card un mounting....
    04-01-2017 12:45 PM
    Wow man, that sounds terrible. I've never had an issue with my 64gb SanDisk ultra. So you have access to a Windows PC? I would recommend you do a chkdsk on a terminal emulator. See if there are any bad sectors that can be repaired. It's worked for me before on external storage containers. Just never had to do it with a SanDisk.
    Yeah I really did it this time. Right back when I was opting for the internal memory & encryption I was wondering if this was the right thing to do and I figured "What could go wrong?" and I just bet the guys at HTC were going "Challenge accepted!".

Never again!

Do you think Chkdsk could still work with the encryption on the card? I don't want to lose any bad sectors that could further complicate matters.
    04-01-2017 01:57 PM
    I think there are a few problems here. First and obviously there is an issue with the card itself. Probably no way around that one without replacing it with another (higher speed) one. Another problem is since you've formatted it as adoptive storage, I don't think any computer is able to recognize it. Thats a big reason I format mine as removable storage. Big safety net there...Third problem is, Macs no longer recognize phones as storage. Used to, not since they updated the IOS. You can still use Android File Transfer for Mac as well as HTC Sync Manager to transfer files. I don't think updating tour phone is going to have any affect on the SD card un mounting....
    I tried the HTC Sync Manager on the Mac but the thing is that my SD card unmounts so fast after reboot that there is just not enough time to do access the files and transfer them. The only thing I have not tried is using a Windows PC, but I don't have high hopes with that either. I know the internal memory and encryption option really complicates things.

I'm just hoping for a miracle at this point.
    04-01-2017 02:01 PM
    I hoping for a miracle for you too. Really sorry for this mess. The only thing irreplaceable on my sd card was my photos. I started using Google Photos which automatically backs them up to the cloud. I can view and edit them in my computer browser. I try and keep a relatively current copy of my contacts (.vcf file) exported to my sd card and then copied to my computer. If my card died today, there isn't much I would loose.....or really care about.
    04-01-2017 04:58 PM
    I hoping for a miracle for you too. Really sorry for this mess. The only thing irreplaceable on my sd card was my photos. I started using Google Photos which automatically backs them up to the cloud. I can view and edit them in my computer browser. I try and keep a relatively current copy of my contacts (.vcf file) exported to my sd card and then copied to my computer. If my card died today, there isn't much I would loose.....or really care about.
    I use both Google Drive and Dropbox for backups and I have most of the photos backed up but as it happened, the bigger sized photos and video files were never backed up because the SD card kept unmounting and would never stay mounted long enough for either service to upload them.
    04-02-2017 01:06 PM
    Google Photos backs up almost instantly.......
    04-02-2017 07:48 PM