To who upgraded directly from the One M8: any regrets?

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. :)

The title says it all. I'm still holding to my almost 3 year old M8 but I'm afraid I'll regret it if I buy the HTC 10. Am I dead wrong?

Cheers

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys. :)

The title says it all. I'm still holding to my almost 3 year old M8 but I'm afraid I'll regret it if I buy the HTC 10. Am I dead wrong?

Cheers

I loved my M8 too, but when my power jack broke for the second time they gave me a new M9. By that time they had fixed the camera and I really liked that phone. I got the M10 the day it came out on Sprint and that was almost a year ago. I don't regret it at all. Way better hardware, software, not to mention camera. I travel and take a lot of pictures, and this camera really rocks for me. In your position though, I would seriously wait a few weeks (May 16th) to see what the HTC U 11 looks like before making any decisions. It may be a step up from the 10 or it may be phone of the year......

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
HTC 10 is definitely not revolutionary but more evolutionary through refinements... It's not really an exciting phone but does the core things well... If you're an audiophile then this is one of the best sounding phones... I actually wished I'd waited for the V20 because of the removable battery...

fathom39

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The only things I miss from my M9 are the speakers and the HTC apps. (I know you asked about the M8 but the 8 and 9 are similar enough... I had both.) M9 speakers were excellent. But everything else about the 10 is better. I noticed that instantly when I activated it.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I loved my M8 too, but when my power jack broke for the second time they gave me a new M9. By that time they had fixed the camera and I really liked that phone. I got the M10 the day it came out on Sprint and that was almost a year ago. I don't regret it at all. Way better hardware, software, not to mention camera. I travel and take a lot of pictures, and this camera really rocks for me. In your position though, I would seriously wait a few weeks (May 16th) to see what the HTC U 11 looks like before making any decisions. It may be a step up from the 10 or it may be phone of the year......
I hate the glass back phones since I don't use cases and personally think it's one of the stupidest design decision manufacturers made so the HTC 11 U is not an option for me. Why buy a beautiful phone that we are most definitely going to be dropped sometime and simply hide it behind a case? I've dropped my m8 several times and got some dents but I will almost certainly not break and stop working. A glass screen protector is a must, of course. Those I've broke several ;)
But yeah, I'll wait for the review before buying, thanks for the suggestion.
HTC 10 is definitely not revolutionary but more evolutionary through refinements... It's not really an exciting phone but does the core things well... If you're an audiophile then this is one of the best sounding phones... I actually wished I'd waited for the V20 because of the removable battery...
I love the audio quality of the headphone jack from my HTC one m8 so I'll love the 10 in that department for sure since everyone says it's even better. But the lack of true stereo front speakers worries me a little.
The only things I miss from my M9 are the speakers and the HTC apps. (I know you asked about the M8 but the 8 and 9 are similar enough... I had both.) M9 speakers were excellent. But everything else about the 10 is better. I noticed that instantly when I activated it.
I love the HTC Gallery App, it's the only one I believe I'll miss but I've head we can sideload it, right?

Cheers

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I personally thought the M8 was a better overall experience than the M9. The screen was better. The speakers were better. The feel in hand was nicer and more seamless. That being said, the 10 is a complete upgrade with a revolutionary new feel. The software, camera and build are all creme de la creme. The only thing that's not on par is the speakers. They sound fantastic, they're just not as robust. I'm holding out for another upgrade until the end of the year. Either the U 11 or the Sony XZ Premium will be getting my money.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I personally thought the M8 was a better overall experience than the M9. The screen was better. The speakers were better. The feel in hand was nicer and more seamless. That being said, the 10 is a complete upgrade with a revolutionary new feel. The software, camera and build are all creme de la creme. The only thing that's not on par is the speakers. They sound fantastic, they're just not as robust. I'm holding out for another upgrade until the end of the year. Either the U 11 or the Sony XZ Premium will be getting my money.
Did you own every single one of those phones? Which one do you have now?
Cheers

mike146

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I had the MIDDLE and think the 10 is much better. Although not as loud as m8, the 10 I think has better overall sound. Everything else is so much better then the 8 in my opinion. I still have the m8 as a spare phone should the need arise. Currently use it in my garage as a music player. This way the music doesn't stop if I get a call or text from someone when just hanging out

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
After having both I think the 10 is the better phone. metal backsides rule IMO. Don't care about wireless charging enough to have to put up with a glass back. Really like my 10 although I'd give a very slight nod to the speakers on the M8 as being very slightly better. But not enough to stick with it. The speakers on the 10 are great. I seriously doubt I'd be able to pay big bucks for any phone that didn't have dual speakers. HTC has really spoiled me.

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
The 10 is a huge improvement over the M8. Negatives are the downgraded speakers and the dimmer, polarized screen. Pluses are the dramatically improved headphone audio, speed, and camera. I wouldn't think twice about it. I am using Bluetooth speakers and headphones now so the speakers aren't so important to me anymore, and for most use cases the screen is more enjoyable, at least to me. It's very sharp. I see myself hanging onto the 10 far into the future as a dedicated portable hi-fi audio rig.

One reason makers might be moving to glass backs is to improve signal strength and to avoid dealing with the problems of engineering antennae embedded into metal cases. Cynically, it's probably also to lower costs (Didn't HTC say it took 3 hours to manufacture the metal body of the 10?) and to raise the possibility of future revenue from each device as more repairs will be needed. Likewise, the removal of the headphone jack opens up more revenue possibilities, too. With Bluetooth 5 arriving, wireless hi-fi becomes possible, and if you're into high-end earphones, the headphone manufacturers won't mind selling you expensive headphones with batteries that will wear out over time.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
After having both I think the 10 is the better phone. metal backsides rule IMO. Don't care about wireless charging enough to have to put up with a glass back. Really like my 10 although I'd give a very slight nod to the speakers on the M8 as being very slightly better. But not enough to stick with it. The speakers on the 10 are great. I seriously doubt I'd be able to pay big bucks for any phone that didn't have dual speakers. HTC has really spoiled me.
Thanks for your answer. I also believe it's a better phone I just don't know if I'll regret buying it since my m8 still works great and smooth, apart from the top speaker which is distorting the sound on max volume (I replaced the battery)
The 10 is a huge improvement over the M8. Negatives are the downgraded speakers and the dimmer, polarized screen. Pluses are the dramatically improved headphone audio, speed, and camera. I wouldn't think twice about it. I am using Bluetooth speakers and headphones now so the speakers aren't so important to me anymore, and for most use cases the screen is more enjoyable, at least to me. It's very sharp. I see myself hanging onto the 10 far into the future as a dedicated portable hi-fi audio rig.

One reason makers might be moving to glass backs is to improve signal strength and to avoid dealing with the problems of engineering antennae embedded into metal cases. Cynically, it's probably also to lower costs (Didn't HTC say it took 3 hours to manufacture the metal body of the 10?) and to raise the possibility of future revenue from each device as more repairs will be needed. Likewise, the removal of the headphone jack opens up more revenue possibilities, too. With Bluetooth 5 arriving, wireless hi-fi becomes possible, and if you're into high-end earphones, the headphone manufacturers won't mind selling you expensive headphones with batteries that will wear out over time.
Yeah the so so screen is what worries me the most. I wished the HTC 11 U had a great amoled screen with high brightness, full metal chassis, headphone jack and front stereo speakers. I would get it for sure. But from the rumors it will have NONE of those features :(

Cheers

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I got mine off swappa when it was 3 months old. Saved $300 off new price and it was in excellent condition. Might be able to go that route and save even more by now.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Did you own every single one of those phones? Which one do you have now?
Cheers

Yes. I have owned every One series phone at launch. The M7 is the only one I sold off. Sometimes I regret it for nostalgia reasons only. The M8 I still have(broken screen after I stepped on it and crushed the thing into a rock). The M9 I still use as a media device. The 10 is my daily driver until winter time. Like I said, XZ premium or U 11. The 10 is the first device I've owned, in a long list, that has made me feel like I didn't need to upgrade to something else. It has the best overall experience. I currently also have owned a GS6 edge and now own the S7 edge. The S6 I gave up on after 7 days, for the M9, because I was trying to buy a phone for the camera. The S7 edge I now own I've had for a year but it was given to me through work. Never. Will I ever. Pay for a Samsung device. I hope HTC produces again this year so I don't have to buy Sony.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I have owned every One series phone at launch. The M7 is the only one I sold off. Sometimes I regret it for nostalgia reasons only. The M8 I still have(broken screen after I stepped on it and crushed the thing into a rock). The M9 I still use as a media device. The 10 is my daily driver until winter time. Like I said, XZ premium or U 11. The 10 is the first device I've owned, in a long list, that has made me feel like I didn't need to upgrade to something else. It has the best overall experience. I currently also have owned a GS6 edge and now own the S7 edge. The S6 I gave up on after 7 days, for the M9, because I was trying to buy a phone for the camera. The S7 edge I now own I've had for a year but it was given to me through work. Never. Will I ever. Pay for a Samsung device. I hope HTC produces again this year so I don't have to buy Sony.
So your advice is to wait for the official announcement of the HTC 11 U and if the rumors are correct (I would like metal chassis, headphone jack, amoled screen and front stereo speakers) just buy the HTC 10?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So your advice is to wait for the official announcement of the HTC 11 U and if the rumors are correct (I would like metal chassis, headphone jack, amoled screen and front stereo speakers) just buy the HTC 10?

Well, my main reason to upgrading to one of these phones is the X16 modem in the SD835 so I can leverage the new 600 band that T-Mobile recently purchased. If not for that, I would keep the 10 for sure. So yes, if the U 11 (which is being announced in a little over two weeks) doesn't produce what you want in a phone then get the 10 for sure.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I still use my M8 as my music player at work. Only cause I dont want to have something happen to my 10. Its still a solid device, but the 10 really is better in every aspect for me personally. For me, Ill be keeping my 10 for awhile unless the u11 really wows me. If it doesnt, Ill wait for the next HTC flagship the following year. The 10 is just really solid and I honestly have zero complaints.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Will the HTC 11 U modem be 600MHZ capable? I upgraded from my M8 to the 10 to get the sweet 700mhz on Tmobile, and figured i'd have to wait til 2018 for an HTC flagship that did 600MHZ.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, thanks for the all your input. I'll just wait for the official announcement of 11 but I will just buy the HTC 10 ;)

Cheers

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Will the HTC 11 U modem be 600MHZ capable? I upgraded from my M8 to the 10 to get the sweet 700mhz on Tmobile, and figured i'd have to wait til 2018 for an HTC flagship that did 600MHZ.
As a musician and audio engineer, it's still a giant rub when I see TMobile or any company using the 600 mhz bands. For years and years we spent tens of thousands of dollars for state of the art wireless microphones and wireless in ear monitor systems in the 600 and originally 700 mhz range. The government comes in and lies, telling us those frequencies are needed for first responders and it a year it will be illegal for you to use that equipment. Come to find out, they are selling it off to the highest bidder. It cost me over $15,000 just to comply for one band. More than a little frustrating and different perspective on that "sweet 700mhz" ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol