Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wantabe
  • 1 Post By wantabe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Still have no space!

I can't find anyone that is still having this problem since the update that let everyone put their apps on SD card (I have Android 2.2) so I thought I'd ask...

I've moved everything that can possibly be moved onto SD card, cleared all my caches, deleted a few smaller useless apps, and even though I probably have less apps on my aria now than I did a few months ago, I can't get rid of the 'low on space' notification. I only have about 18.5MB left and I can't install any updates which is REALLY irritating.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does it store my Gmail emails on the phone? If so would I have to mostly clear out my inbox? Also is it possible that I've downloaded updates and it's still storing them somewhere without installing them?

Right now the only apps not on SD are the pre-installed ones (FB, Gmail etc) and Astro, Advanced Task Killer, Lookout, 3G watchdog and APNdroid. None of these are very big apps!

I really hope someone can help because my phone is running SO slowly and it's really annoying!

Thanks

Default Re: Still have no space!

Go to your "Manage Applications" section, sort by size and look to see what you biggest apps are and how big they are.

I used to get the "out of storage" alert all the time before the update, even though I still had 100mb left. Since the update, I only get the alert when I get down below 20mb. I assumed the update fixed this problem, but maybe not for you?

Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Go to your "Manage Applications" section, sort by size and look to see what you biggest apps are and how big they are.

I used to get the "out of storage" alert all the time before the update, even though I still had 100mb left. Since the update, I only get the alert when I get down below 20mb. I assumed the update fixed this problem, but maybe not for you?
    I've got the same problem, only a handful of apps on the phone (mostly unmovable crapware, thanks AT&T), and I'm down to 20 MB on the phone.

I'm afraid, aislinnp, that there doesn't seem to be any real pleasant solution to the problem. If you haven't deleted all your text messages from the phone, do that. Then wait about 15 minutes to see if the "Low Space" notification goes away. If not, then delete any messages you might have in Google Voice (assuming you've got the app installed on your phone). Wait another 15 minutes, and if that doesn't eliminate the problem, then start deleting apps until you free up enough space.

You can thank AT&T and their ever expanding crapware for this problem. I've blocked all the updates to their stuff I can, and I'm still being forced to delete apps on a regular basis because the phone fills up and I get the "Low on Space" warning (BTW, when you get that, you lose the ability to receive text messages via Google Voice.)

Wink Re: Still have no space!

Hi, here's what I did.

Hope this helps.

One thing that I've done for a while now is update all the system apps in my rom and reflash the rom. All of the google apps (Gmail, GoogleVoice, Maps, Street, VoiceSearch, Vending aka Market, YouTube), Superuser and CifsManager. All of these apps steal a lot of user storage space for the updates and on the Aria we don't have room to give away if we don't have to. The way I look at it is they are already taking up system storage and I can't afford to lose the space in the users internal storage for updates. I've also put some user apps in the rom (setCpu, root explorer, autostarts, permissions), deleted filemanager and quickoffice. I use App 2 SD Pro and Titanium Backup Pro which can force apps to the sdcard. Counting the user apps I have in the rom, I have 45-50 apps (it varies) and 120-125 MB storage available.
    "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)

wantabe, your solution only works if you're able to root your phone. I don't know about the OP, but I've not been able to root my phone for some reason, and when I've asked for help on these boards to figure out what I'm doing wrong, I've gotten exactly zero replies.

You're right! My solution only works if you're rooted. I'm lucky (I think) because I got an Android 2.1 version of the Aria so it was easy as *** getting it rooted. Did it the first day. It's still s-on but I can do everything I need to like flash roms and radios. Don't know what problems you have or what Hboot you have. I do know one frequent problem is leaving HTC Sync on your computer, you just need it installed to get the drivers, afterward uninstall HTC Sync. If you have an Android 2.1 version I still have the files I used, and can find you a link or get them to you but like I said I don't have s-off which I can work around if needed. If your . If you already have s-off you need to get .
    Last edited by wantabe; 12-01-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)

Thanks, but I've been through all the advice on the boards and I can't get it to work, so until someone is willing to go step-by-step, in minute detail, with me on how to root the phone, I'm not even going to bother making any more attempts. I'm sure that my problem is some stupid setting somewhere that anyone who's done it a thousand times knows by instinct to check, but because I haven't, I don't know what it is, and since they operate by instinct, they don't think to tell me. (And believe me, I have tried all the steps in the threads on rooting an Aria, and haven't gotten it to work.)

The problem I had was a large (40mb) "dialer storage". Mostly from having 9000+ texts and dozens of pix in messaging app. I wiped my aria and set it so that texts get deleted after 300 per person and low storage notification went away. Steady at 70mb with a few apps.

I can't wait for my upgrade. 170mb of storage is such crap compared to the 2gb - 16gb on all new Android phones lol

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    I can't wait for my upgrade. 170mb of storage is such crap compared to the 2gb - 16gb on all new Android phones lol
    I hear you there. Everytime I download a new app or update an existing one it seems like I have to get make a choice about what to delete. I have an 8GB card, but there not enough apps will use it. I have an upgrade coming in March, looking forward to something bigger and bigger. Looking at either the Nexus or the Galaxy II, unless something better comes along between now and then.

How come you guys dont get "link2sd"? I had 80+ apps and 145 mb free!
    Last edited by ajt1995; 12-02-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: missed "?"

Are you on 2.2 or 2.1?

Here is the instructions for 2.2
    1. .

2. Run revolutionary

3. Download This

4. Unzip the file you just downloaded.

5. Run superoneclick.exe

6. Click "ROOT"

7. that should do it.

This phone sucks!!! I have no idea how to do anything to it that you are all talking about above... I am on my 3rd phone thanks to AT&T not knowing how to fix the low on space icon. I am getting very angry now I have the low on space icon back up on my phone, and I cant use my gmail or send pictures or even look at my photos for that matter! I am about to leave AT&T due to this... They just keep giving me the same phone, only I am sure its refurbished & after about 3 months its back to the low storage crap. My husband has the same phone and NEVER had this issue, He has about 10 more apps then I do. I only have 2 apps on my phone!!! Plz help before I leave AT&T!

Easy Killer! I can understand your frustration, the storage on these phones is ridiculously small. As mentioned before make sure your sms and mms are set to a sensible size. I have mine set fairly small at 25 sms and 10 mms per conversation. You can get to that by opening up text messaging and going to menu>settings>text message limit then multimedia message limit. Customer service should have already gone through that with you. Use an app like to clean your cache and everything out, this app is what I use but there are other choices. If none of the above solves your problem I would suggest doing a factory reset followed by resetting sms and mms. Let me/us know what the outcome is. Good luck!
    Last edited by wantabe; 02-27-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
    Thanked by:
    hdawg2789 likes this.

First thing you want to do is to make sure that you are running the latest release of Android for your phone. (Go to Settings>About phone>Software information). You should have version 2.2.2. If not, then you need to have the phone flashed with the latest release.

If you are on 2.2.2, then what you need to do is go to Settings>Connect to PC and change your default connection type to 'Disk drive'. Once you've done that, connect your phone to your computer and using Windows Explorer (or whatever they're calling it today) and look at your phone. Any directories you see for apps which you know you've deleted should be gotten rid of (if you're unsure, don't delete unless you're willing to do a factory reset if something goes horribly wrong). This will help free up space on your phone. Also, if you're not running App2SD, download and install that from the Market. This will allow you to push apps from your phone to the installed SD card, which will give you more room.

Quote Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
    Easy Killer! I can understand your frustration, the storage on these phones is ridiculously small. As mentioned before make sure your sms and mms are set to a sensible size. I have mine set fairly small at 25 sms and 10 mms per conversation. You can get to that by opening up text messaging and going to menu>settings>text message limit then multimedia message limit. Customer service should have already gone through that with you. Use an app like to clean your cache and everything out, this app is what I use but there are other choices. If none of the above solves your problem I would suggest doing a factory reset followed by resetting sms and mms. Let me/us know what the outcome is. Good luck!
    I did that and then I deleted a few of the apps I didn't realize that I downloaded to check out and forgot to delete right away... so now I have space. But still the second I can get rid of this phone I am getting a iPhone4 GS, I never should have given up my 3GS for this Aria! But now I have to wait it out a bit longer!!! But thank you for all your help Wantabe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerfan View Post
    Also, if you're not running App2SD, download and install that from the Market. This will allow you to push apps from your phone to the installed SD card, which will give you more room.
    Does this move EVERYTHING (like GMaps, Facebook, etc.) , or just apps that can already be moved to SD individually?

I'm glad to hear that you were able to open up some space on your phone. I can understand the desire for iOS, it pretty much just works but we can also all admit to the disadvantages of iOS which I won't get into. As far as comparing the Aria to the 3GS the Aria is thinner, lighter, has higher pixel density, more ram, same processor speed (600MHz stock, my phone is overclocked to 806 MHz), camera is 5MP vs 3.1MP. Both of my sisters have the 4GS and they're happy, fact is they are always giving me crap about my "little phone" as if 3.2 vs 3.5" is a huge difference. In all likelihood your phone is running Android 2.2, if you don't know for sure go to menu>settings> about phone> software information> and check under android version. There is a noticeable difference in performance between 2.1 and 2.2. Also 2.2 gives the ability to move apps to the sdcard. You do not have to have an app to move apps to the sdcard, you could go to menu> settings>applications>manage applications and move apps one at a time but using an app like App 2 SD (same developer that does 1Tap Cleaner) makes it much, much easier. You will NOT be able to move the google app updates (Maps, Gmail, Market, etc.) to the sdcard. Not all apps will allow moving to the card but if/when rooted you can use Titanium Backup to force apps to the sdcard, which I have done with a few apps. As an example on my phone (rooted and overclocked), I have right now, 24 apps on the card (16GB class 10), 15 on the phone and 5 apps I put in system/apps (autostarts, drocap2, autokiller memory optimizer, root explorer, setCpu) along with ALL the google updates and I have 109MB available of 185MB. Woo Hoo! Yes, it definitely takes more work than it should but these phones have the potential to work very, very well. I have to say my phone is very fast, absolutely no lag and storage is a non-issue. I'll replace this phone once there is a quad-core phone with decent verifiable battery life, I'm getting now 12 to 30 hrs depending on use.
    Last edited by wantabe; 02-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.

I am on the 2.2 system but I still hate the phone... I call it the mini me POS phone. lol.. its tooo small for me. lol

I agree it is small, especially for someone with clown thumbs like myself. I know for a lot of people it's a big change going from iOS to Android. And I have to admit, I have thought about going to a different phone (bigger). Problem is there is always something better that will be released in the future and I'm a little annoyed by the screen sizes getting out of hand, IMO. It's surprisingly hard to find a phone that is not bigger than 4.3" that has zero lag like my "mini me POS phone". Anyway.....when I win the lottery I'll buy everyone in this thread an , it's supposed to be getting updated to Android 4.0!
    hdawg2789 likes this.

well my man has the same phone and never had 1 issue with it besides it being to small. I just hate it. It doesn't really do the things I was hoping for. I am not gonna lie, the only reason I even got the phone was cuz of the on screen weather. Which I do still love, I love unlocking my phone and it snowing right on the screen i think its soo funny... BUT anything else I hate! lol. you can buy everyone else HTC Incredible S, but you can get me a iPhone whatever number is out at the moment! lol jk!

ROM
    2.2.2 HTC-provided upgrad

Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Does this move EVERYTHING (like GMaps, Facebook, etc.) , or just apps that can already be moved to SD individually?
    It moves only the apps that you installed from the market and that are capable of running from SD card. It won't move the factory installed apps.

I solved this for myself by rooting the phone, using Titanium Backup to delete the factory apps (Gmail, Maps, Adobe Reader, etc.) and then reinstalling them from the market. When I did that, then I could move them to SD card and freed up quite a bit of memory on the phone.