Aria can't sideload apps

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Only if they root this device. Though if its anything similar to the EVO and Incredible software wise, we should have root after a few weeks.

barkode15

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I was at the HTC event tonight in SF. They had about 20 Aria's setup to play with along with HTC reps to answer questions. I went into the application setting screen on my hero and on the aria and held them side by side to the rep, showing the missing "Unknown Sources" menu. First he was impressed that I knew there would be a difference. Then he shrugged and said ATT made them do it. But he also said as soon as it's rooted it wouldn't be a problem.

I did like the lighter weight and snappier software compared to my hero. All the places where my hero lags this thing flew. Not a droid or Evo, but it seems like a nice midrange phone for those on AT&T.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there is gonna be a root to bypass this. If not this phone is made up epic fail sauce. But why would At&t want to do this?! It CRIPPLES the android phone. If I wasn't allowed non-market apps, then I would never have been able to get swype on my phone.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there is gonna be a root to bypass this. If not this phone is made up epic fail sauce. But why would At&t want to do this?! It CRIPPLES the android phone. If I wasn't allowed non-market apps, then I would never have been able to get swype on my phone.

It is the way that AT&T is doing android. They learned the walled garden from the best and guess they like the control. I am sure that the fact of how the CEO of AT&T feels towards google does not help.
AT&T CEO Obviously Not a Fan of Google | AndroidGuys

But just look at where AT&Ts marketshare is with android it is very sad.
Android Devices: Droid Dominant, Evo Catches Nexus – Chitika Research
Granted the N1 was counted with t-mobile but still. There is a regional that has a greater share than AT&T.

wibbic

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Woot for the root!

I hope AT&T realizes sooner than later that they're dealing with an open source community here. The more they try to exert their control over this environment (with an iron grip), the Android townspeople will slip right through their fingers and circumvent WHATEVER AT&T think they're trying to accomplish.

I think AT&T's application R&D money would be put to better use if they would try to actually find a way to complement what Google is doing, instead of competing with them! Do they actually think I'm gonna shell out 10 MORE dollars/month on AT&T Nav when Google Maps works great and is constantly being updated? Also, just drop that silly video clip viewer, "MobiTV". I'm looking forward to seeing how Hulu works.

Otherwise, all we have to do is just wait for the root, and then ALL of the AT&T apps will be wiped off our phones, anyway!

Woot for the root! :p :D

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
In the meantime you CAN sideload apps via ADB if you install the SDK. Its not too bad once you get used to it, but you'll need a computer to install stuff like PDAnet or Android Tether.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I hope AT&T realizes sooner than later that they're dealing with an open source community here. The more they try to exert their control over this environment (with an iron grip), the Android townspeople will slip right through their fingers and circumvent WHATEVER AT&T think they're trying to accomplish.

I think AT&T's application R&D money would be put to better use if they would try to actually find a way to complement what Google is doing, instead of competing with them! Do they actually think I'm gonna shell out 10 MORE dollars/month on AT&T Nav when Google Maps works great and is constantly being updated? Also, just drop that silly video clip viewer, "MobiTV". I'm looking forward to seeing how Hulu works.

Otherwise, all we have to do is just wait for the root, and then ALL of the AT&T apps will be wiped off our phones, anyway!

Woot for the root! :p :D

The worry that I would have with "waiting on the root" would be whether there were enough AT&T Android users to have someone good enough to figure it out. It happens quickly on VZW and Sprint because there are a lot of Android fans already there. And I don't think the Aria is going to draw a lot of folks just to root it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The worry that I would have with "waiting on the root" would be whether there were enough AT&T Android users to have someone good enough to figure it out. It happens quickly on VZW and Sprint because there are a lot of Android fans already there. And I don't think the Aria is going to draw a lot of folks just to root it.

If the Backflip was rooted the Aria will be. All other midrange devices have been.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Will the Aria be getting the Froyo 2.2 update?

I read somewhere that HTC said any phone released this year will get the update, but I haven't seen the Aria mentioned specifically by name.

I wouldn't see why they wouldn't do it, though.

aliendroid

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
In the meantime you CAN sideload apps via ADB if you install the SDK. Its not too bad once you get used to it, but you'll need a computer to install stuff like PDAnet or Android Tether.

Ok I am new to Android so I dont know how or what you are talking about. If you have a link I can use to learn more about this process let me know. I want to able to sideload apps. Thanks!

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok I am new to Android so I dont know how or what you are talking about. If you have a link I can use to learn more about this process let me know. I want to able to sideload apps. Thanks!

What phone/network do you have. All android phones can sideload except those from AT&T.

ETA: I'm stupid I didn't realize this was the ARIA section!!!

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sideloading refers to downloading apps to your phone via some other form other than through the android market. For instance, if someone emails you an app, or a developer has a beta version on their website available for download, etc. That is sideloading.

For 90% of the users out there, it isn't a big deal, because just about every app you will want will be on the android market. However, every now and then there is an app, like Swype, that is not on the market yet.

Since you have the Aria, go to HTC's website and download the Sync update. This supposedly allows you to sideload by downloading the app to your desktop, then syncing it over to your phone. I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard from others who have.