Anyone prefer the Aria size over the bigger phones?

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty interested in this phone simply due to its size. I don't like to notice the phone in my pocket and the Aria seems to fit this bill.

That said, the blocking of side-loaded apps dampens my excitement. Are you still getting one?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty interested in this phone simply due to its size. I don't like to notice the phone in my pocket and the Aria seems to fit this bill.

That said, the blocking of side-loaded apps dampens my excitement. Are you still getting one?

Let me preface this by saying I currently have a Treo 680, and haven't used one of the "bigger phones". However, when I went to Best Buy and compared the Palm Pre (about the same size as the Treo) next to the Incredible and Evo, it was like a kid's toy vs. a real phone. I want a bigger phone than the Aria.

However, I carry my phone in my front pocket 90% of the time, so the larger size isn't as big of an issue for me.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I've always been one who wants a nice form-factor phone with great pda features.
Not a Pda that happens to be a phone. The size of Aria is perfect.
But now that we know it's locked down, I might be looking elsewhere.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer a larger (3.5-3.7 inch) screen than what the Aria has. Although, I am interested in seeing it in person.

That is where I was at. I saw one today and it just seemed too small to me. The store had one that they were checking out when I went in today. They would not let me hold it or check it out they said come back Sunday. But seeing it in the person's hands in person made me know it was too small.

dreDREb13

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
That is where I was at. I saw one today and it just seemed too small to me. The store had one that they were checking out when I went in today. They would not let me hold it or check it out they said come back Sunday. But seeing it in the person's hands in person made me know it was too small.
I went in today, and one of the reps got one out of the back and let me play around with it. I've never been that annoyed by smaller screens, and I think the Aria is actually a very easy-to-use phone with the amount of space you're given.

Even the resolution is great, as reviewers have said. Sure, it's not powerful, but I think it's a step in the right direction for a good Android device on AT&T. Still not sure if I want it, though.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I went in today, and one of the reps got one out of the back and let me play around with it. I've never been that annoyed by smaller screens, and I think the Aria is actually a very easy-to-use phone with the amount of space you're given.

Even the resolution is great, as reviewers have said. Sure, it's not powerful, but I think it's a step in the right direction for a good Android device on AT&T. Still not sure if I want it, though.

Agreed it is a step in the right direction just is it too late already. I like the specs of the captive but do not like the maker at all. And I am worried that will be the only higher end phone they offer for sometime short of the streak. Which is not a phone to me it is a mini tablet.
I just want a 1ghz processor phone with a 3.7-4.3 in screen running 2.1 or better from either HTC or Moto and I would be happy.

dreDREb13

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed it is a step in the right direction just is it too late already. I like the specs of the captive but do not like the maker at all. And I am worried that will be the only higher end phone they offer for sometime short of the streak. Which is not a phone to me it is a mini tablet.
I just want a 1ghz processor phone with a 3.7-4.3 in screen running 2.1 or better from either HTC or Moto and I would be happy.
Yeah, it sounded nice, but I've just never been a fan of Samsung phones. I don't know if it's just me, but none of them ever seem to be of a good quality that I can get behind 100%. I've seen nothing but good from HTC, though, and Motorola's stepped up the game, recently.

waltah#AC

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I kind of do in a way. The Captivate will be a good sized phone, but not quite as big as an Evo. I'm using a Pre Plus right now, so the screen on the Aria doesn't seem small to me at all. The software and UI speed is what sold it for me, and I also think it's a really great looking device.

starfish6k

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an Aria today. I liked the smaller size of the phone, similar to the Blackberry Perl I had a few years back. The Aria replaced a Blackberry Bold, and I never was happy with the size of that phone.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is not a high end phone. I only use my phone for light web browsing, email and google maps, so I don't need a powerful phone.

wibbic

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I, too, picked up the Aria today. To me, it wasn't too hard a decision, coming from a Nokia E71x. You want to talk about AT&T hobbling a good phone? I lived it for a year! Anyway, this screen is much larger than my Nokia's, (which is basically a Blackberry wannabe) so I'm happy!

This is the best chance for me to get a decent HTC Sense phone on AT&T, so I went for it. I'm sure I'm going to be much happier with this phone than I was with the Nokia! I hope AT&T runs out of them this week, before that OTHER phone comes out!

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I picked mine up on Sunday and I've been pretty happy with this phone. Its much faster than the specifications lead you to assume.

It feels as fast/smooth as the HTC Incredible. Webpages load slightly slower than a snapdragon/omap3 phone but the overall experience is solid. This phone is a keeper :)

Anyone want to buy a Palm Pre Plus? Haha

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought it because it is small and a good phone for work. I can't be carrying around a heavy or large phone at work.

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a Samsung Jack and then bought a iPod Touch to see if I would like an iPhone. To me, the iPhone was just enough bigger than my Jack that I never got one, however I liked the iPod/iPhone's keyboard.

When the Aria came out I went to check it out and the size it great! It a little narrower than my Jack and a little bit thinner and the keyboard is very usable, especially in landscape mode, so I ditched my Jack and got an Aria yesterday.

Tom

miki7

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
starfish said exactly the same as for me! except I've had a bold 2, was gonna wait for the new pearl to be released, but it's taken way too long for them to release it, and then I found the aria. I don't have any experience with the touch phone, so it's taking a bit for me to become used to it, but the size is just perfect for me since I do prefer the smaller form.

snarf77

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
i actually prefer the aria to the evo the evo while its a great phone its just too big for me the droid incredible and even the aria are the perfect size for me. thats why i went for a hero instead

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I think its the perfect size being that i put my phones in my pocket(coming from a Bold 9700 and Curve 8310). I was in an ATT store just yesterday comparing the sizes of the Aria, the iPhone and Bold 9700. It's not to small or too big, I know the other droids are big and thats the direction droids are going but it's not for me and I have linebacker hands...

ALSO....for all of you worried about it being locked down(AT&T) or slower than snapdragon prcssr..look at the benchmark test Phil does for the Aria, not too bad...Someone has already rooted the Aria (no more ball and chain) and from what I understand it will be getting Froyo(2.2 speed)...just something to think about. Just think, if enough droids are bought maybe AT&T would take the line of droid phones alot more serious(wishful thinking on my part):(.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
They can not sell enough devices to make up this ground without a top of the line android.
Android Devices: Droid Dominant, Evo Catches Nexus – Chitika Research

And I just find it so sad that Verizon got the Incredible next month will release the X and we are still waiting for something other than the iPhone as a contender. The Captive has a chance as long as Samsung will support it and AT&T will let them. But who knows when it will hit. At this point unless I see something with a hard release date other than the Captive by July 15th think I will be heading to the X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze