Custom ROMs?

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of some good custom ROMs other than cyanogen and liberated aria?

Those are about the only choices you have at this point in time. If you like HTC Sense, then liberated ROM is the one to use, otherwise, you can run Froyo 2.2 with the cyanogen ROM.

Regards,

Tom

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I'm running liberated right now, but I was hoping someone had come up with a Froyo with Sense ROM. Guess I'll just have to wait for the carrier update or just deal with the lack of Sense on cyanogen.

thejdubb02

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using the Cyanogen Mod running 2.2 on the Aria and I freakin' love it! It works faster then I had expected and have yet to find any real bugs.

It took my a bit to get working but when it was finally installed, I like it more the sense mainly because it is a bare bones Android as you can get.

Death to manufacturer tinkering of the OS!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
How's the battery life with Cyanogen? The only thing keeping me from switching is some of the Sense widgets (most of which I've found replacements for) and the the big phone button at the bottom, but if it has even slightly better battery life, I'll switch in an instant.

resin99

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've gone back and forth from liberated to cyanogen several times but I think I'm going to stick with cyanogen now. With the recent release of LauncherPro Plus I have found awesome replacements for all my sense widgets. The people widget is even more useful and facebook/twitter are also great.

I am getting great battery life too. I use my phone varying amounts during the day and almost always plug it in after 16 hrs or so with at least 30% left.

mxcnvida#AC

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
What is a ROM (dumb question here: previous BB user until about three days ago...own an Aria now). If I read correctly, is this explaining how to run a different OS separate from the current one? I'm confused as to what cyanogen and liberated are. Thanks in advance =)

kudvu002#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
What is a ROM (dumb question here: previous BB user until about three days ago...own an Aria now). If I read correctly, is this explaining how to run a different OS separate from the current one? I'm confused as to what cyanogen and liberated are. Thanks in advance =)

rom is a custom version of the software that your phone runs on. Basically they take the shell of your os and remove and add custom features.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm from BB as well; Bold 9000. Don't have Android yet but hopefully will soon.
So I know what you're talking about with your term "OS". Yes, this is how Android users switch OS's, basically. They say "rom" instead of "OS", and in order to load a new OS, they have to make themselves a superuser of the phone, which is called "rooting" the phone. So, you root the phone, and then load a custom ROM on it.

I was under the impression I could buy any phone that I liked hardware-wise and then, if, say, I liked HTC Sense but my phone came with Touchwiz, I could I just load a custom rom with HTC Sense on my phone to get Sense. However, I just read I can't buy a Captivate (I'm on AT&T with their sh*tty Android lineup) and then load a custom Sense rom because apparently nobody has a custom Sense rom to load to it because "it would be incredibly time-consuming and difficult" (quote from some random user on this site). So, now I'm confused about that...:(

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression I could buy any phone that I liked hardware-wise and then, if, say, I liked HTC Sense but my phone came with Touchwiz, I could I just load a custom rom with HTC Sense on my phone to get Sense. However, I just read I can't buy a Captivate (I'm on AT&T with their sh*tty Android lineup) and then load a custom Sense rom because apparently nobody has a custom Sense rom to load to it because "it would be incredibly time-consuming and difficult" (quote from some random user on this site). So, now I'm confused about that...:(

Well since Android is built on an open source platform, in theory your assumptions are well founded. However, the vendors such as HTC, Motorola and Samsung have added their own custom features to the Android platform (aka Sense UI) and most of those features are not 'open source', so it without the working source code for Sense, it would be incredibly difficult and time-consuming to try get it running on a Samsung android kernel.

Regards,

Tom

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well since Android is built on an open source platform, in theory your assumptions are well founded. However, the vendors such as HTC, Motorola and Samsung have added their own custom features to the Android platform (aka Sense UI) and most of those features are not 'open source', so it without the working source code for Sense, it would be incredibly difficult and time-consuming to try get it running on a Samsung android kernel.

Regards,

Tom

Ohh, I see now. Thanks so much for helping me out and explaining it to me! :)

ravyn80

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using a Captivate, and had an Aria before that. I loved the Aria because of it's size, but I'm a geek and wanted something a little bigger. I missed having Sense on my phone until the day before yesterday when a friend showed me "Weather and Toggle Widget" in the app store. It's a couple of bucks, but so far, I love it. It has the weather effects like Sense does and actually has a few more features than Sense. It's also completely skinable.

It's definitely worth a try.

jmoral210

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Just Installed from zip ( cmw) Salsa Fresca today and it is awesome! Has new superuser on it as well.

I used the Revloutionary Method on my Aria 2.2.2 Stock phone today. I tested it on my old broken -screen device and had sucess .

I first dowloaded htc sync then uninstlled sync( but kept the HTC drivers)

Revolutionary

and

followed this Guide:

(GUIDE) How To S-Off and ROOT Aria 2.2.2 - xda-developers

then saved these roms to play with:

Liberated Aria 2.2.2
[ROM]Liberated Aria 2.2.2 - xda-developers

Salsa Fresca:
Salsa_Fresca_1.3_search.zip

this link is also very useful:

Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Question: Has anyone had success and or good results with this ROM ? they say it has ICS.

[ROM]CM9 4.0.4 ICS Liberty[07.Jun.2012] - xda-developers

HTC Aria- 2.3.3
Revolutionary S-OFF
Salsa Fresca custom ROM
:cool:

sgirard1991

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Just Installed from zip ( cmw) Salsa Fresca today and it is awesome! Has new superuser on it as well.

I used the Revloutionary Method on my Aria 2.2.2 Stock phone today. I tested it on my old broken -screen device and had sucess .

I first dowloaded htc sync then uninstlled sync( but kept the HTC drivers)

Revolutionary

and

followed this Guide:

(GUIDE) How To S-Off and ROOT Aria 2.2.2 - xda-developers

then saved these roms to play with:

Liberated Aria 2.2.2
[ROM]Liberated Aria 2.2.2 - xda-developers

Salsa Fresca:
Salsa_Fresca_1.3_search.zip

this link is also very useful:

Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Question: Has anyone had success and or good results with this ROM ? they say it has ICS.

[ROM]CM9 4.0.4 ICS Liberty[07.Jun.2012] - xda-developers

HTC Aria- 2.3.3
Revolutionary S-OFF
Salsa Fresca custom ROM
:cool:

Cyanogenmod 9 for the HTC Aria is awesome. I was running it on mine for months. Never once had any issues. By far the best android os ive ever used. After experiencing ics, i never want to use anything else lol.
Give it a try let me know how it works and if u have any trouble with it ill try to help

Sent from my MB612 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith