Aria vs. Captivate

TripperGetem

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I was deciding between the Aria & Captivate. I went with the Captivate. Aria is a nice phone, but it is just too small for me. I was leaning towards the Aria in the beginning. I went to AT&T 3 different times and played with both phones each time for atleast an hour and a half each time. But everytime I did, the Aria just seemed to get smaller and smaller. If the Aria was atleast the size of the iPhone, or the size of the Captivate, I would have definately went with the Aria. The size killed it for me

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
See the size doesn't bother me. It's the memory. I can get SD cases for media but I need more memory for apps. Other than that its a nice device

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

brandon261

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
See the size doesn't bother me. It's the memory. I can get SD cases for media but I need more memory for apps. Other than that its a nice device

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk
You can move apps to an SD card with Froyo on Captivate so I would think it has possibility to have more memory. Even though you could just buy a new SD card for your phone.

I started out with Aria and loved the phone. The only problem I had with it was the volume rocker on one and on every phone I had the call quality was not perfect. People on the other side could hear me but it was hard to hear them on my end even with all volumes up. I have had to problem other than the GPS with my Capivate. I love the phone and feel in love with the screen's size.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Well i've been using the aria for about week and love it. my wife and i were meeting a friend for dinner the other night and didn't know the area well. used gps without a flaw. LOVE LOVE LOVE HTC sense. so much better than touchwiz. i do miss the vibrant super AMOLED screen. i used the captivate briefly today to check something. opened maps and was reminded of how amazing it was. but doesn't do me much good when all i can say is how pretty it is but not know where i am.

I'm going to stick with the aria. it is very quick even with the lesser processor. and gps is very very responsive. sense ui and gps were the deciding factor

bikedogrun

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to stick with the aria. it is very quick even with the lesser processor. and gps is very very responsive. sense ui and gps were the deciding factor
You made the right decision ... ;)

I also have a Dinc on VZ and find myself using my Aria way more often... it is just so solid, so reliable and so fast & smooth (even without the 1GHZ Snapdragon) and I love how it fits my hand! You're right, Sense UI is simply awesome ///

/BD :cool:

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had both (right now I am using the captivate) I am actually not a huge fan of HTC sense...It covers up the Android experience a little too much.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I just spent an hour in an AT&T store constantly switching back and forth playing with each phone (they're right next to each other). I thought I would go straight for the captivate, but the Aria is actually pretty cool too! I loved Sense UI. But the keyboard was sooo small for me..I would probably get used to it, but I don't know. The Captivate's keyboard was easier for me, but that makes sense since the screen is so much larger.

lhinsz

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Aria for me because of size...

Here's my 2 cents worth: Had the Aria for about 3-4 months now, and I really like it because of the size; much lighter and easier to slip into pocket... I also love the HTC Sense.

For the "screen cracking," I can see where that would be a problem but I bought a rubber case and a relatively thin but very protective anti-glare screen cover and it seems to work great - although I haven't dropped it onto a hard surface from any distance, I have dropped it and no problem...

My one HUGE gripe is with AT&T and all the work-arounds necessary to side-load, backup, etc., so I think rooting is the next order of business for me (as soon as I feel brave enough to dig through the vast amount of options for rooting, that is!)

TheChefSLC

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
i prefer the captivate over the aria, though i really like the aria with cyanogen mod installed.

My wife likes the size of the aria over the captivate and I am just the oposite, most of the time lol.

I like the hardware of the captivate over the aria. It plays games so much better and plays media a lot better as well.

Personally if I could have both phones myself, I would most likely switch every couple days because some times having the smaller phone makes it easier to use, but other times I need the larger screen size.

TheChefSLC

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Here's my 2 cents worth: Had the Aria for about 3-4 months now, and I really like it because of the size; much lighter and easier to slip into pocket... I also love the HTC Sense.

For the "screen cracking," I can see where that would be a problem but I bought a rubber case and a relatively thin but very protective anti-glare screen cover and it seems to work great - although I haven't dropped it onto a hard surface from any distance, I have dropped it and no problem...

My one HUGE gripe is with AT&T and all the work-arounds necessary to side-load, backup, etc., so I think rooting is the next order of business for me (as soon as I feel brave enough to dig through the vast amount of options for rooting, that is!)

Rooting this device is actually really easy. When my wife said i can mod her phone, something I have been doing since my moto L7 days 4+ years ago, I started to look through all the information on it.

The easiest way is to ensure all your drivers are installed, including htc sync, witch if i read correctly it said to uninstall. For this i just plug in my phone and started the installation process until the drivers for adb were installed and then canceled it out.

This allowed me to easily root the phone with unrevoked and from there I installed rom manager, did a backup of the rom and then installed cyanogen mod.

This was very easy to do and took me a total of 30 minutes of reading and having cyanogen installed within the hour.

Once you do get it rooted you might want to look at getting a new host file installed that blocks advertisements. This allowed my wifes phone to play games with ad's so much better. Make angry birds almost as smooth as my captivate.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using the aria but am considering changing to the captivate. Bigger Bryden screen. Better camera quality.
The main thing is LOTS more space.
But it doesn't have a working gps till it gets 2.2. What would you do?

TripperGetem

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on how much you use GPS. I'm not the kind of person to go off to unknown places without someone with me who knows where we're going. I only use it to get phone numbers to places, and if GPS won't work, then I use YellowBook. My gps was crap when I first got my Captivate, but when I updated to 2.1 Update 1, it seems to work now.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I switched back to the captivate because I was tired of not being able to download any app I wanted and the camera on the aria sucks. But the captivate keeps lagging and has rebooted a couple times.

Now I'm considering changing back to the aria.

Opinions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

jdwhite87

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes the camera is horrible on the aria. I was actually sold on it bc I saw it had a 5 mp camera. But I am terribly disappointed in it (you try making a one year old sit still so the picture won't blur!). But overall I am more than satisfied with it. You can also root it with z4root. Only until you turn it off though :(

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk.

911jason

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've only had my aria for a few weeks but I love this phone! I rooted it last week and installed CyanogenMod with Android 2.2... It wasn't hard at all and was totally worth it just to get rid of all the AT&T apps and to be able to install any app I want. I'm using Swype to type this, which is awesome.

For those who don't like the camera, have you tried Camera 360?

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

myburm

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I am SOOO with the whole screen-cracking thing...mine is getting fixed right now.

As far as keyboard size, they sell capacitive styluses on Amazon, and I actually made one myself...works great! As long as you use a conductive material like a steel pen barrel and something smooth to slide on the screen you are golden. I made mine with a pen barrel, a copper connector I found in the garage and wedged a brass paper brad between the two on the end. I'll post a pic later. There are lots of YouTube vids up that show you how to make them too.

Smalls

Sep 24, 2010
mygamingnet.co.cc
I don't really care for screen size that much. Reading the text on the phone (Even with my glasses off) is clear. I also flashed CyanogenMod 6.1 a few days after I got it. Not only that...

11kkp3n.jpg

Quadrant rates the device usually between 800 and 900. Ouch. I could care less about playing games on the Aria (or any phone), with the exception of Angry Birds. I have a computer, an Xbox 360, and iPod Touch, but that's just me. To be honest, Android isn't the best with games and that's not a bad thing.