So about Gingerbread...

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, since it's finally been announced, I figured I'd be the questions and share my thoughts on Gingerbread for the Aria.

First point:The Aria hardware most likely will support Gingerbread. I'm no expert, but none of the features seems to push the hardware requirements beyond what they are now. And that 1 Ghz minimum rumor is officially debunked. So now that I have your hopes up...

I would bet a lot of money (that I don't have :)) that we will never see an official release for the Aria. It's a pretty telling sign when your phone doesn't have Froyo when the next version is released (not looking good for the Galaxy S). I would love to be wrong, but it's not likely

However, you WILL be able to get Gingerbread. It will probably first come through CyanogenMod, or some other AOSP ROM built for the Aria. I wouldn't count on a Sense version, although the Gratia could get a Gingerbread update (since it launched with Froyo) that could be flashed onto an Aria.

So, yeah. Feel free to call me an idiot or whatever, just thought I would try to avoid the mass of "will my phone get Gingerbread" threads.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I think you have a good point about the realism of the Aria or Captivate getting an update but I think it has more to do with AT&T than anything. It seems like they hold up the process of updating more than HTC or andriod. I could be wrong but the backflip just got 2.1 and we stopped selling that phone 2 months prior to the update. I think AT&T is worried about the abilities it gives the phone that they want to control.

Switching subjects. I feel kinda noobish that I still dont fully understand how to Root or add a ROM to my Aria( I've been eyeballin CM6?). Im tempted but still reserved because of the forewarned risk of turning my phone into a paper weight.

Any advice since I wont be seeing Froyo or Gingerbread through AT&T anytime soon?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the AT&T thing, I'm afraid of how they're going to support their devices long term. I'm sure Froyo passed through HTC awhile ago (see:Gratia), so atleast the support is coming from the manufacturer. You have to put some of the blame for the Galaxy S on Samsung, they probably could have launched with Froyo.

As for rooting, if you're completely comfortable with the voiding your warranty thing, the risk of bricking is very small. You can find the easiest method here:
NOOBZ: The EASY guide to rooting your Aria and Installing Attn1's ROM (Win XP/Vista) - xda-developers

Just stop before the directions to install the ROM (that ROM is out of date). It really is rather easy and low risk, and you can read through that thread in the event that something goes wrong (I guarantee someone has had the same problem and had it fixed).

And CM6...just do it. You won't regret it.

JudgeMAN#AC

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I think you have a good point about the realism of the Aria or Captivate getting an update but I think it has more to do with AT&T than anything. It seems like they hold up the process of updating more than HTC or andriod. I could be wrong but the backflip just got 2.1 and we stopped selling that phone 2 months prior to the update. I think AT&T is worried about the abilities it gives the phone that they want to control.

Switching subjects. I feel kinda noobish that I still dont fully understand how to Root or add a ROM to my Aria( I've been eyeballin CM6?). Im tempted but still reserved because of the forewarned risk of turning my phone into a paper weight.

Any advice since I wont be seeing Froyo or Gingerbread through AT&T anytime soon?

Its cake. Just drop by the XDA forums. To root, I used unrevoked, it was as simple as plugging in my phone after installing the updated driver. Then you download CM6.1 Stable, or any rom of your choice, and place it on your sd card as a zip like it came. Then boot into recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, advanced and wipe dalvik cache, then go back up and choose install from sd. Choose the rom and let the Aria do its thing.

I took the leap and it was completely worth it! I was using the Liberated FR006 rom, but I caved in and decided to try out CM6 and I was thoroughly impressed. I do miss sense, but the perks of CM6 far surpasses that of Sense, and now I am running CM6.1 Stable, and it is awesome so far!

Last edited:

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Worked like a charm. CM6.1 and rooted with unrevoked flawlessly whole way! loving it so far and I haven't really done anything to it lol

JudgeMAN#AC

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Worked like a charm. CM6.1 and rooted with unrevoked flawlessly whole way! loving it so far and I haven't really done anything to it lol

Glad to hear everything went off without a hitch! CM6.1 is pure awesomeness. I have came back to Liberated though. CM6.1 started to lag in refreshing my messages (Im a heavy texter), and Sense just seemed to handle the messaging better. Its a small thing, but I also like how on the Sense rom, I could use my trackball to navigate where I want to move a widget or anything on my homescren. It was a pain to do that on CM6. Have fun with your newly rooted phone!