Why is the HTC Status labeled the way it is?

ozahran

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Status (aka Cha Cha) has been out for a few days now and every review about it around the web seems to automatically label this phone as a device for tweens and teens. The reasons vary, some say its the price point, the lack of screen real estate, the portrait keyboard, and of course the facebook button. As a former blackberry user, this device is refreshing if nothing else. It has a form factor that Android has not had, as they have been dominated by large black slabs. I see this phone as a potentially decent emailing and messaging device, which is what a lot of people use their phones for nowadays, not just teenage girls. Its not the most spec laden phone out, but for people who use their phones as communication devices and not as multimedia demons this phone doesn't seem like too bad of an option if you're on AT&T. What do you guys think? Do you think this is a good communication device? Or is it just a gimmick to get feature phone users onto Android?

Kiyanayah

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
That sums it up pretty well, I think. I got it for those very reasons. It's a little different, I didn't need a powerhouse, and the keyboard is fabulous. I came from a Palm Pixi, which was also quite small, so I don't really miss having a big screen. In fact, my husband has an Atrix, and to be honest, I don't really care for the super sized screen. He likes what he likes, and I like what I like. I am a little tired of it being labeled as something strictly for teenagers. It's a well-made device and it suits my needs quite well.

jeffcrn

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't be happier with mine. As a messaging device it's a dream, regardless of the medium. I have large hands, and I love the keyboard, perhaps even more than I loved the old BB 9000. The device is very snappy and quick responding as well, I think fewer pixels on the screen requires less horse power on the cpu side of things.
I saw the display model at BestBuy and they did not have a working model up yet, but they took one out of the box and let me play around with it and my SIM card. I sat in one of their chairs and played with it for about 30 minutes and I was hooked.
I have had a few crashes on mine, and have used the feedback system that HTC built in the forward the information to them so hopefully they fix those in an update, but I honestly can't complain about that too much considering the new form factor.
Bottom line, I love the phone and the facebook stuff had nothing to do with my decision to buy it.

ozahran

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with you there, that damn Facebook button just screams teenage marketing to so many people, when in actuality it is a solid communication device

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased this device.... Well got it for free from best buy.

I really enjoy the form factor, and god-bless this keyboard. BEST mobile keyboard ive used. Thumbs down! Haha

I almost didnt buy it though because of the way it was being marketed.

They should create a "Status Pro", with a darker color scheme (i.e. not white and silver), no facebook button, and less theme and skin bloatware. Also, a trackpad instead of a DPAD would be nice.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have this phone as I needed a public phone meant for messaging (my Sensation XE is a private phone) and I have a lot of love for it. If it weren't for the low internal memory, I wouldn't have any problems with it. The only reason why I use the XE for going about on forums is because the device has low memory. Which is a shame... The ChaCha is the best QWERTY phone I've ever experienced.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk