The Desire 526

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another new device that HTC has released, the 526. Nearly a carbon copy of the 626, aside form the smaller screen. I do like the fact that there is a choice in screen sizes, however, 8 GB of internal and a 2,000 mAh battery are the crippling sides tot he phone.

From the blog: HTC Desire 526 specs | Android Central

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Another new device that HTC has released, the 526. Nearly a carbon copy of the 626, aside form the smaller screen. I do like the fact that there is a choice in screen sizes, however, 8 GB of internal and a 2,000 mAh battery are the crippling sides tot he phone.

There is a 16gb model also available so that's good. But what's really crippling are no LTE, qHD display and only 1gb ram. Costs $150 and for that price might as well get Moto G 3rd Gen for $180 which has 720p display, better camera, LTE, waterproof body, and promise of future android updates.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I bought the Verizon 526 prepaid verizon version to use as a quick replacement until my G4 arrived.

That phone cost me 73 bucks out the door, had Lollipop 5.1, 4g LTE, less lag than the Galaxy S6 I sold right before buying it, AND it lasted 2 hours longer on that small battery than that same "super phone S6". Has anyone even used this phone besides me? HTC Sense 7 is perfect for budget processors and less than 2 gb of ram.

Say what you want, you won't find a better phone for 73 bucks and that includes everyone's favorite budget phone the Moto E.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Verizon 526 prepaid verizon version to use as a quick replacement until my G4 arrived.

That phone cost me 73 bucks out the door, had Lollipop 5.1, 4g LTE, less lag than the Galaxy S6 I sold right before buying it, AND it lasted 2 hours longer on that small battery than that same "super phone S6". Has anyone even used this phone besides me? HTC Sense 7 is perfect for budget processors and less than 2 gb of ram.

Say what you want, you won't find a better phone for 73 bucks and that includes everyone's favorite budget phone the Moto E.

Not saying it's a bad device. Just that the battery and the low storage are a couple crippling factors. Is this a good device to act as a backup, or in your case, something to get you through a few weeks till you can get something better? Sure. Absolutely. Is this a good daily driver? Most likely not, depending on use case.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Not saying it's a bad device. Just that the battery and the low storage are a couple crippling factors. Is this a good device to act as a backup, or in your case, something to get you through a few weeks till you can get something better? Sure. Absolutely. Is this a good daily driver? Most likely not, depending on use case.

I understand where you think you are coming from, but you have to understand your "crippling" comment is just a tad far fetched.

I got better battery life, including on screen time with that 526 than I ever got with the Galaxy s6 I used before it. In fact the 526 averaged 10 hours between charges while the same daily use barely got me 6 hours with the S6.

Storage wise, I used a 64 gb storage card with no problem whatsoever with the 526. And while onboard memory will always be faster and more reliable than any card, it far from cripples a device.

Bottom line is simple, I seriously doubt anyone that comes to Android Central on a regular basis, is going to want to use the 526 or a similar device as a daily driver. However, for 75 dollars, you are going to be hard pressed to find a smoother running device than the 526. Try it, and when you see it had/has less lag than the 600 dollar Galaxy S6 I used before it, you might not think it's so crippled.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
10 hours of use between charges is already unusable. A phone for me would need to last at least 3 more hours. I really don't think to say the size of the battery in this device is crippling is really that far fetched.

From my Nexus 5.
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case.... Unlike the high end phones coming from Samsung, Motorola, HTC, the last and upcoming Nexus, Asus, etc.... you could simply buy a spare, swap it out and have 20 hours of use.

Please try and tell me your Nexus 5 is getting 13 hours of high use battery life.... I need a good laugh.

Again I say, for 75 dollars there is nothing crippling about this phone.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I doubt this phone is $75 unlocked? The cheapest I've seen it go in my country is $140. That's way too much considering no LTE, only qHDand only 1gb ram because fof same price you can get something like Lenovo K3 note with 5.5' FHD display, LTE and 2gb ram.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
This phone is most definitely 69 dollars unlocked at my local Walmart.. With 4g LTE on the Verizon network and 1.5 gb of ram. Whether you believe it or not makes no difference to facts. I seriously think you have a different model in your country you are confusing this phone with.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I am actually looking to use this phone as my daily driver and here is why. I just completed my 2 years contract with Sprint using my HTC One M7. I love the M7 and it looks and acts just as good as the day I got it 2 years ago. But I am sick and tired of paying Sprint $92 per month for a crappy data network. I mean what good is unlimited data when it just doesn't work? So I am looking at Verizon prepaid. Instead of $92 per month my phone bill goes down to $45. ($30 if I go to Boost and a different phone which is another option for me) With my current Sprint plan I make maybe 4 or 5 short calls per month. That's it. I do text a lot and I use my wifi when I am at home. So I never come close to using 1GB of data. This HTC Desire 526 on Verizon prepaid would be perfect for me. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest new phone that comes out. And thank you for the link to WalMart. They are cheaper than buying this phone from Verizon.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
One question please. Someone in the comment section of WalMart stated this phone does not have a notification light on it. Is this true? because that would be a deal breaker for me. I need my notification light when receiving texts, etc.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
One question please. Someone in the comment section of WalMart stated this phone does not have a notification light on it. Is this true? because that would be a deal breaker for me. I need my notification light when receiving texts, etc.

Sadly it is true.... I didn't notice it as I only used it for a few weeks. So no notification light. (sorry for the late reply)

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread.... But I was at my local Fred's discount store here in Birmingham Alabama and just saw this phone, the HTC Desire 526 for verizon prepaid, (or use with Straight Talk BYOP or even Verizon post paid) for a whopping....

29.99 usd....

Are you kidding me? This was a steal at 69... It's armed robbery at 30 bucks.

Sharayah Swafford

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I understand where you think you are coming from, but you have to understand your "crippling" comment is just a tad far fetched.

I got better battery life, including on screen time with that 526 than I ever got with the Galaxy s6 I used before it. In fact the 526 averaged 10 hours between charges while the same daily use barely got me 6 hours with the S6.

Storage wise, I used a 64 gb storage card with no problem whatsoever with the 526. And while onboard memory will always be faster and more reliable than any card, it far from cripples a device.

Bottom line is simple, I seriously doubt anyone that comes to Android Central on a regular basis, is going to want to use the 526 or a similar device as a daily driver. However, for 75 dollars, you are going to be hard pressed to find a smoother running device than the 526. Try it, and when you see it had/has less lag than the 600 dollar Galaxy S6 I used before it, you might not think it's so crippled.

Would you happen to know anything about the HTC Desire 526? I'm having problems, on my lock screen when I get a notification of any kind it's saying content is hidden, I've searched all over the internet and still haven't figured out how to fix this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital