Phone screen not working

zoober

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my HTC Desire 816 twice today accidentally and the screen smashed.
The phone works fine but the touchscreen won't work. It lights up but it doesn't respond to touch. I have tried restarting the phone multiple times and everything.
Is there anything I can do to make the screen work (like maybe something has moved on the inside) or is the crack the issue and therefore I need to get it replaced? I'm fine having a smashed screen as long as the actual phone works.

Thanks!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The digitizer is a wonder, and I've seen some that are pretty smashed up still functioning. I even had one with chips out that still worked so it would be my guess that the serial cable has come partly out or you've really really smashed it. Although I think even if you cut it in half some portion of the screen would still work. This is why I'm leaning towards the serial cable more than the digitizer. Depending on how you are going to handle the issue, know if you open the device it voids your insurance. Having said that I've had pretty good luck with replacing them and they are surprisingly cheap on eBay and other on-line retailers.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The digitizer is a wonder, and I've seen some that are pretty smashed up still functioning. I even had one with chips out that still worked so it would be my guess that the serial cable has come partly out or you've really really smashed it. Although I think even if you cut it in half some portion of the screen would still work. This is why I'm leaning towards the serial cable more than the digitizer. Depending on how you are going to handle the issue, know if you open the device it voids your insurance. Having said that I've had pretty good luck with replacing them and they are surprisingly cheap on eBay and other on-line retailers.

The touch is in the glass so when it breaks it stops working.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my HTC Desire 816 twice today accidentally and the screen smashed.
The phone works fine but the touchscreen won't work. It lights up but it doesn't respond to touch. I have tried restarting the phone multiple times and everything.
Is there anything I can do to make the screen work (like maybe something has moved on the inside) or is the crack the issue and therefore I need to get it replaced? I'm fine having a smashed screen as long as the actual phone works.

Thanks!

Id say get it fixed.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The glass is the digitizer. It plugs in to the board in the phone. The LED is just a display.

Posted via Android Central App

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Sadly the Desire 816 isn't part of HTC's Advantage program where they'll replace the screen for you once.
I guess it can't hurt to call them since Advantage is for "flagship" phones but they do market the 816 as the midrange flagship.