Disappointed In The Lack of Interest In This Phone...

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I really thought there would be ore people interested in this phone, but the forums here and in xda are dead except for a few of us. Did HTC blow it again with a lack of marketing push? I know this isn't their "flagship", but it has "flagship" specs and I thought more people would be interested in. I picked up a One M8 Dev Edition on Tuesday for $499, I am going to compare the two, as I sold my old One M8 in May. The lack of community support may push me away from the Desire Eye...I really do like the phone though, just wish it had an IR blaster, the Boom Sound was better and that the blue color was available!

Y2J

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the focus on selfies kind of backfired. Granted, that's not the only feature, but I think that's what many people thought of it.

mar_mouso

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the focus on selfies kind of backfired. Granted, that's not the only feature, but I think that's what many people thought of it.

It certainly turned me off until I actually started reading the positive reviews. And just think, the average customer probably won't bother looking into a phone beyond the advertisement they see.

I wish it was marketed differently. This has me wondering if anyone will even be willing to develop a GPE ROM for the Eye..

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well guys, tomorrow is the last day to return, and I think I am going to jump ship. I got a One M8 GPE Edition for $450 brand new...I haven't opened it yet, but I have a feeling I will be happier with it. The Indoor camera performance just isn't enough for me to justify going with the Eye...

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
This lack of interest does not bode well for future support or updates.

Any news / date for L

Posted via the Android Central App

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
That is also part of the reason I am returning...Don't get me wrong, the phone is great, but I like tinkering, and I am afraid there will be no updates or they will be very slow, and I doubt we will get great ROMS like HD Rev ported to it...

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Seems a shame . looked at one from a bloke at work looked nice and seemed nice to use , camera looked OK just a shame about possible future support.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Seems a shame . looked at one from a bloke at work looked nice and seemed nice to use , camera looked OK just a shame about possible future support.

Didn't HTC come out recently and state that they'll support all phones for 2 years? Let me see if I can find that link...

Edit: In a reddit AMA, they said they are going to support all major flagship devices for two years. I'm pretty sure this one counts.

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame about the lack of interest as it's a great phone. However, the marketing and silly name don't do it any favors. I got it based on features, where it stands on it's on. It's easily better than the Galaxy S4 it replaced.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I considered getting the Desire Eye, but the selfie cam is distracting, there likely won't be much developer support and it only comes in white/red or navy blue/baby blue. Will probably just wait for the M9.

Sent from my G2 running SlimKat via Tapatalk

J Lohman

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Truthfully even though the next HTC One (M9 - I hope they rename) will likely come out March 2015, I don't want the color option AT&T has made available (Coral Reef). They should have also sold the 2-toned Submar Blue variety available outside USA.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Just grabbed me one after cancelling an order many times. Really like the phone. Like it more than the m8i had when it first came out. Sad not a lot of interest.

Michael Saxon

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I've really come to appreciate the Desire Eye. Sense 6.0 is really fantastic...does a much better job of tracking battery usage than stock, handles visual voicemail really well, handles dlna well, and a variety of other cool features.

Camera software maximizes the capabilities of the otherwise average imx214 sensor. HDR in particular works really well.

And as a phone...great reception, super speaker phone, great battery. My Note 4 and my Z3 Compact have been in my drawer for two weeks.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the interest of the phone is not so big because people kinda pass it off as a 'gimmick' phone. The main feature is the 13mp front facing camera and that's all they kind of notice about it. Right or wrong, I feel that's what the perception of the phone is. Granted it's more than just the front facing selfie camera, but I don't think people take time to look past that.

For me, to be honest I think the camera on the front of the Desire Eye just looks ugly. Like an all-seeing giant eye on top of the phone. Kind of ruins HTC's design aesthetic and with rumours of the Hima having a 13mp camera, I certainly hope it's not a gigantic camera module in the centre of the top bezel like on the Desire Eye.