Force all internet connections through wireless

Rorsch

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, first post here :)

I've decided to buy a Desire HD when it's released here in Portugal (end of Oct). My question is not specifically related to the HTC's phone, but I assume for the Android system as a whole.

I usually travel abroad, so having a phone that tries to connect to the internet several times a day will get me broke very quickly. I also don't want to pay for an internet package here at home.

Is there a way of setting Android phones (and the Desire HD especially) to work online only with Wireless? Block other ways of connecting to the internet completely?

Thanks

Last edited:

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Won't that application block phone calls as well?
Not it won't, it just does what you said you wanted, prevent 3G, it does that by modifying the APN names to be invalid.

Anyone knows what's he talking about?
Doesn't sound too helpful if he didn't say why, I'm on 2.1, it may be that 2.2 has an option specifically for that purpose (definitely needs one). Market page says "for all Android versions", could ask author or simply install and try.

Bye,
Dennis

m3kyd

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where the problem is at... I'm using 2.2 on my HD and I have an option in the Settings to disable mobile network connections.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Same you can disable mobile data connection and use WiFi, I'm using it ATM and have data off just voice active.

Sent from my HTC Glacier via WiFi

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Apart from being easier to use APNDROID gives you an onscreen visual indication of your 3G state so you can be sure it will be doing its job (but you could accidently turn if off also I suppose). For me a lot of the settings are cryptic and leave enough scope for misinterpretation that I'd rather have something that just stops the apps from working at all over data.

For the paranoid you'd also want to install "3G watchdog" and have it visible only when 3G is on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03