HTC Desire 500 root

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a HTC Desire 500 and was thinking of rooting it, new to the world of rooting and was finding it difficult to see where to get what i needed for my model.... any pointers or links would be appreciated ty.

DV :D

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC Desire 500 and was thinking of rooting it, new to the world of rooting and was finding it difficult to see where to get what i needed for my model.... any pointers or links would be appreciated ty.

DV :D

It's really easy.

You'll have to unlock your bootloader with HTCDev, flash a recovery like CWM or TWRP, and then flash SuperSU in recovery.

First step is to go to Welcome to HTCdev, sign up, and follow the instructions there.

If you get stuck on anything, just let me know, and I'll ya out! :)

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>

downloaded fastboot.exe to desktop unzipped it... followed c prompt instruction, got as far as here

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot oem get_identifier_token

C:\Windows\system32>

downloaded fastboot.exe to desktop unzipped it... followed c prompt instruction, got as far as here

You need to change the directory in CMD to the folder that has the fastboot.exe file.

For example, if I have a folder on my desktop named "fastboot" I would type

cd C:\Users\anyuser\Desktop\fastboot\

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
cd changed dir to _MACOSX (folder the file is in) still same result... i thought it was funny when i clicked on the binary for the fastboot exe it downloaded it in a folder named MACOSX even though it was the windows option i clicked .. i double checked

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
C:\>cd users

C:\Users>cd HOUSE

C:\Users\HOUSE>cd desktop

C:\Users\HOUSE\Desktop>cd fastboot

C:\Users\HOUSE\Desktop\fastboot>fastboot oem get_identifier_token

C:\Users\HOUSE\Desktop\fastboot>oem get_identifier_token
'oem' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\HOUSE\Desktop\fastboot>

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
cd changed dir to _MACOSX (folder the file is in) still same result... i thought it was funny when i clicked on the binary for the fastboot exe it downloaded it in a folder named MACOSX even though it was the windows option i clicked .. i double checked

Try these files and see if they work: https://copy.com/ZG2Mc7wDYXVt

They are the adb and fastboot files straight from the Android SDK by Google

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
htc sync backed up... copy paste files backed up and google cloud backed up.. lol.. I am in IT it was just 1st time i tried this rooting stuff... its unlocked now, restarted on factory defaults... will browse for roms tomorrow.. many thanks for all your help, keep up the good work

DV

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
htc sync backed up... copy paste files backed up and google cloud backed up.. lol.. I am in IT it was just 1st time i tried this rooting stuff... its unlocked now, restarted on factory defaults... will browse for roms tomorrow.. many thanks for all your help, keep up the good work

DV

You need to flash a recovery now!

You can't flash ROMs without a recovery!

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've unlocked it, restored backup for contacts etc, will wait til tomorrow before tackling any more, too tired... thanks again

DireVulf

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
was trying to get TWRP on google playstore but it isnt available, there is one called TWRP manager by JMZ and wondered if that is any use?.. or would it be better to download from pc and use a command to use it......

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
was trying to get TWRP on google playstore but it isnt available, there is one called TWRP manager by JMZ and wondered if that is any use?.. or would it be better to download from pc and use a command to use it......

No! You don't get it from the play store.

Go here: [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][TWRP 2.7]TWRP for the HTC Desire 500 - XDA Forum

Just for safety reasons, check to see if the phone matches with the recovery. In bootloader, at the very top, it should say z4u. I believe this is your phone so you're good to go.

Download the recovery and rename it TWRP.img

Put the file in the same folder containing the adb and fastboot files.

Open CMD and change the directory to that folder.

Put your phone in fastboot and connect it to your computer.

Wait until the red text on your phone changes to "fastboot USB"

In cmd, type

fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img

Then reboot the phone.

Now you have a recovery.

Anytime you want to boot into recovery, you can boot into it by powering the phone down, going into the bootloader menu, and select recovery. You should boot into TWRP then.

Hope this clears some things up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2