Address book recovery HTC desire 310 / screen crash

irina_ilieva

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Dear all, all the best wishes for 2015!
I hope someone can help me with this unpleasant case. The sreen of my HTC desire 310 gave up this morning, it shows all white.
When I connect it to my lappy, all files are inside, but I cannot see how to get my contacts.
Can anyone help me, please.
Phone is in guarantee yet and I will send it for a repair, but they don't guarantee I get my contacs back / the lady at Customer Heklp was so "nice"to warn me/
Thanks in advance

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Were your contacts associated with your Google account, or with the Phone account? If they're associated with your Google account, then it's no problem--they should be synced to your Google Contacts in the cloud. But if they were with the Phone account only, then you may be stuck. The file where the system stores that info is probably not accessible by the user unless the phone is rooted. This is why it's always best to associate your contacts with your Google account--either that, or use some 3rd party solution that syncs or backs up your Phone account contacts.

Sometimes, Phone account contacts are stored on the SIM card, so if your phone has a SIM, you could try swapping it with a new phone and see if it can read any contacts there. SIM cards can't store much, though--maybe about 200 contacts at the most.

irina_ilieva

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Dear B.Diddy, thanks to your answer I found out that my Google account could make an archive all all what is in the phone.
Now I have retrived information from the phone, incl. the pics.
In the "contacts"folder I see a file"allcontacts.vcf" which is 1KB. I guess these are the contacts???
But now I have no idea if I can import this file/ contacts in my phone once it is repaired?
ANy idea what to do next?
THANKS, THANKS, THANKS

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A 1 KB file is not going to contain all of your contacts. The vcf file you're referring to might have been a single contact that was imported or exported at some point. I'm not sure what you mean by Google archiving data--it will sync your data to your Google account in the cloud, but that requires the info to be associated with your Google account. As I mentioned in the first reply, those contacts have to be associated with the Google account, not the Phone account. This is done when you initially enter the information for that contact. If all of your contacts were only locally stored on the phone, the actual contact file that the system uses will not be accessible to you.