1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Desire and comperable phone in the states

what model in the states is the closest or the same as the desire? is the desire considered a toy or or a legit player in the smart phone arena?

My desire feels a bit like a toy mainly due to the fact I play with it all the time and my three year old plays with it all the time, as well as the fact that the business apps just don't seem there, oh ya and the massive power drain when it is used for what it seems it was designed for.

in short is it a teenagers phone with all the facebook and twitter integrated bs ( I dont use it and cant use being in china and all )

From what I understand the Eris is pretty much the same thing.

It's an entry level smartphone compared to the more recent releases (Incredible, EVO, etc.) but it does the job for me. I don't use it for business, just for personal use and fun so I can't really comment on how good of a device it is for that.

Facebook and Twitter are apps that have to be downloaded so you don't have to deal with them but with the recent 2.1 update it has access to all of the newest marketplace apps.

I would say the Desire is comparable to the Nexus One or the Incredible.
    ads

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ICS

The Desire is VERY close to the Nexus One, same screen, guts. Primarily only two differences. Nexus One has a noise-cancelling mic and associated audio processor; from what I hear it works very well in high noise environments and is easy to understand, but gives your voice a bit of a synthesized sound. The Desire has an optical trackball (preferred by most); the N1 has a roller trackball.
    A toy? What phone is NOT a toy to a 3 year old ;-)
    It is not on par with Blackberry business apps if that's what you're used to, but I'd say on par with pretty much anything else and Android phones in general are gaining ground quicker than ANY platform. I don't think you'll see that many teens with them due to cost, all most of them want to do is text, or be SEEN with an Iphone.

ADS
    ads

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ICS

Default Not entry at all, just that the specs move so fast

Almost a twin the the Nexus One as noted in my other post, but when the N1 came out - actually available, not just a released spec, late last year, it was the biggest baddest deal out there. Now, everybody drools over the EVO; in six months - well maybe longer as 4G phones may not release so fast, but you get the idea - somebody will ask if it is a serious smartphone.
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by buddha724 View Post
    From what I understand the Eris is pretty much the same thing.

It's an entry level smartphone compared to the more recent releases (Incredible, EVO, etc.) but it does the job for me. I don't use it for business, just for personal use and fun so I can't really comment on how good of a device it is for that.

Facebook and Twitter are apps that have to be downloaded so you don't have to deal with them but with the recent 2.1 update it has access to all of the newest marketplace apps.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you for the answers you kindly provided, and the comment about three year olds and phones is spot on.

I come from Nokia background so this is a whole new thing for me but now I am trying to load android on my wifes Iphone haha its a computer nerd dream in many ways.