jaycop

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to unlock my desire so i can update to 2.2, I am on Telus in Canada. Can anyone tell me the easiest, cheapest way to unlock my desire?

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to unlock my desire so i can update to 2.2, I am on Telus in Canada. Can anyone tell me the easiest, cheapest way to unlock my desire?

Debrand it.
Its free you can do it yourself the info and softwere is readily available just make sure the rom you use is the HTC release with thegeneric radio version.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Flash works great for me. I'll try your link later (using my phone as hotspot right now and it's several feet away - too far for me on a morning xD), but I can view trailers on Gametrailers just fine. It's a little stuttery, but I'm sure they'll sort that out in a future release. I hear the N1 version of Flash has been very optimized for that particular phone, and I'm hearing they'll do the same for others.

jaycop

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Debrand it.
Its free you can do it yourself the info and softwere is readily available just make sure the rom you use is the HTC release with thegeneric radio version.

can you post a link to this free software. I have looked all over for unlock code and they all cost money.

Is unlocking any different from debranding? if so how?

BLu#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I debranded my new O2 Desire yesterday. It's a fairly painless process, if you follow the guidelines.
There's plenty of info out there on how to go about it.....I'd just suggest having a good old read.
I probably spent at least three times longer Googling than I did actually flashing and updating.

Have gone from a branded (and somewhat buggy) Desire on 2.1 to a nice fresh Desire as HTC intended it.....and running FroYo too, which I can't see O2 releasing for a while yet still.
It's amazing to see just how much they had disabled/changed actually. Ar$eholes.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I debranded my new O2 Desire yesterday. It's a fairly painless process, if you follow the guidelines.
There's plenty of info out there on how to go about it.....I'd just suggest having a good old read.
I probably spent at least three times longer Googling than I did actually flashing and updating.

Have gone from a branded (and somewhat buggy) Desire on 2.1 to a nice fresh Desire as HTC intended it.....and running FroYo too, which I can't see O2 releasing for a while yet still.
It's amazing to see just how much they had disabled/changed actually. Ar$eholes.
Yeah, I'm done with branded phones. I got my Desire undranded the day it was released, and I got the 2.2 update as soon as it was made available in Europe. Nothing's locked, nothing's removed, and no unnecessary crap running on the phone. Just how I like it. :)

BLu#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm done with branded phones. I got my Desire undranded the day it was released, and I got the 2.2 update as soon as it was made available in Europe. Nothing's locked, nothing's removed, and no unnecessary crap running on the phone. Just how I like it. :)

Hello mate.
I wanted to buy unbranded too, and always used to when I had Berries, but Carphone Warehouse (best place here for it, provided you are upgrading/want a contract) wanted a fiver extra a month, and 100quid for the phone, whereas my network gave me it for nothing.
I'd done my reading in advance, and would've gladly paid the extra for a generic one if I hadn't stumbled across the fact you can remove all the network's junk.
Really happy I went for it.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello mate.
I wanted to buy unbranded too, and always used to when I had Berries, but Carphone Warehouse (best place here for it, provided you are upgrading/want a contract) wanted a fiver extra a month, and 100quid for the phone, whereas my network gave me it for nothing.
I'd done my reading in advance, and would've gladly paid the extra for a generic one if I hadn't stumbled across the fact you can remove all the network's junk.
Really happy I went for it.
I'm guess I was kinda biased by the fact that my contract's run out and I'm on a month-per-month basis now. Since I've got plans on moving to the UK later this year or early 2011, I don't want to be tied into a new contract. If this wasn't the case, I might've done what you did. :)

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
can you post a link to this free software. I have looked all over for unlock code and they all cost money.

Is unlocking any different from debranding? if so how?

Unlocking = allowing you to use the phone on other networks. And $20 isn't too shabby, lucky you didn't look exactly 1 year ago when they were $100.

Debranding = removing the carrier's boot logo, bloat software and themes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol