Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Default Desire Disk Space trouble :-(

Hi Peeps

I've been a big fan of reading these pages (I have a Moto Milestone/Droid too) and was wondering if you could please possibly help.

I have just been given a UK HTC Desire, running 2.2

One of my apps/widgets, Mini Info, tells me that the on board Disk Space is just 147 MB

I have read everywhere that the Disk Space should be around 512-576 MB so am totally puzzled.

The device is brand new, I only received it yesterday.

Any ideas where the missing disk space is folks?

Thanks so much for your help and for reading this. x

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    ROM
    InsertCoin 1.1.1

It's taken up by the operating system, as far as I'm aware. Those 147 MB is what you're left with after Android, HTC Sense and all the standard functionality and apps that come with them are installed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Thanks SeeK - really appreciate the reply. That explains a lot - so thank you.

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    ROM
    InsertCoin 1.1.1

You're quite welcome. Don't hesitate to ask if you're wondering about anything else - me and many others had these questions at some point, and we're happy to help.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Mini info displays the internal memory NOT the rom mem or the ram mem to see the ram available install advanced task killer your available ram mem is displayed @ the top of the screen.
    Eg: I have 29meg according to mini info ( internal space to load apps onto ) but running 19 prosesses I still have 167meg or ram left.

Heres a quick breakdown on how it all works were mem is concerned.
    HTC Desire has
    512meg Rom what your OS runs of and is installed too (normaly on the motherboard)(meats minimum system requirments for gingerbread) YAY
    576meg Ram what fetches and stores app data prosesses data (normaly plugged into the motherboard) (more than minimum system requirements for gingerbread) Woohoo
    147meg internal storage this is were all of HTC's apps are installed including all the sence UI and some of the prosesses.(your hard drive(not including micro SD card))(were you install apps to unless you have FroYo 2.2 and A2SD )(what mini info is displaying)

ROM = Read Only Memory
    Ram = Random Access Memory
    Internal Storage = what it says (hard drive on a PC)
    Last edited by Sonicaholic; 08-16-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Makes me wonder what the future plans are concerning the trouble with small internal storage capacity build in the recent smartphones. Its easier to install ALOT of apps on Apple products, instead of Android wich makes you choose wether you really want it. After Froyo I thought we where finally released from this problem, afterwards we stil rely on dev's.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
    Makes me wonder what the future plans are concerning the trouble with small internal storage capacity build in the recent smartphones. Its easier to install ALOT of apps on Apple products, instead of Android wich makes you choose wether you really want it. After Froyo I thought we where finally released from this problem, afterwards we stil rely on dev's.
    Not all apps can run from SD anyway anythink that's tied into the system needs to be on the internal memory. But I am inclined to agree building a device with as much power as the HTC Desire and putting meager amounts of internal storage dose make one wonder, I would rather have a little more bulk and larger internal memory myself because thats what it boils down too. However comparing it to apple products when you realy think about it that have only internal memory without any option to expand its memory switch batteries its sheer inability to delete anythink on the fly isn't realistic, this is how apple manage to do it "no access". Would you prefer to not be able to carry a spair battery and have the device die after 5 hours or carry 2 x 32gig SD cards and swith them at will or delete an app to replace it with one that's needed or wanted at your whim?
    Last edited by Sonicaholic; 08-16-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: Desire Disk Space trouble :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicaholic View Post
    Not all apps can run from SD anyway anythink that's tied into the system needs to be on the internal memory. But I am inclined to agree building a device with as much power as the HTC Desire and putting meager amounts of internal storage dose make one wonder, I would rather have a little more bulk and larger internal memory myself because thats what it boils down too. However comparing it to apple products when you realy think about it that have only internal memory without any option to expand its memory switch batteries its sheer inability to delete anythink on the fly isn't realistic, this is how apple manage to do it "no access". Would you prefer to not be able to carry a spair battery and have the device die after 5 hours or carry 2 x 32gig SD cards and swith them at will or delete an app to replace it with one that's needed or wanted at your whim?
    Hha I didn't say I love Apple-products that much, just certain things of their entire collection. :P

I am getting more and more the feeling that HTC is testing or atleast expermenting with their phone's. Just putting stuff in it and using the feeeback and a part of the revenue to build real robust devices. :/

Hmmm,maybe they are going to give discount on new phones when turning in Desires and other Android phones. :P

Sent from my HTC Desire

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

To be honest m8 I didn't think that atall I was mearly stating the obviouse, as personaly I don't think comparing phones from different OS's is eather constructive or practice as its realisticly the OS your comparing not nesaseraly the hardware as we have seen on here many a time that different devices with very similar hardware builds running the same OS version vairy rather drematicly.

Always posting with my desire *giggles*
    Samsung galaxy Nexus i9250 stock

I have a question I cleared my history, cashe, and only have 54.55 mb anything else I could do I onky have put on 15 mb of added programs.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrwolf6969 View Post
    I have a question I cleared my history, cashe, and only have 54.55 mb anything else I could do I onky have put on 15 mb of added programs.
    Which firmware are you on?
    Current: Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M)
    Previous: Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747M), HTC Desire, BB 8330, Nokia 6265i