US Carriers and release date speculation...

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
T-Mobile summer if at&t gets it it wont be until fall can't release it to close to the iPhone

I disagree, I think they are past that stage honestly. They have a total of 5 Android Devices coming this year. Highly doubt they will wait til the very end of the year to get them out.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I disagree, I think they are past that stage honestly. They have a total of 5 Android Devices coming this year. Highly doubt they will wait til the very end of the year to get them out.

I completely agree. ATT needs to get market share in the Android market. I could see mid spring release of this device on ATT. If not, early summer, but not much later. I cant see them doing anything really around the iPhone, especially something they know could resemble competition to it.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

For your sake I really hope you're right. It's hard to believe so much time has passed with at&t being a no show to the Android game.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
For your sake I really hope you're right. It's hard to believe so much time has passed with at&t being a no show to the Android game.

Is it? They have the iphone and their 3G network in major cities can't even handle that as it is without major issues a good portion of the time. Do they really want more data heavy phones bogging down an already stressed network? Waiting was smart.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Is it? They have the iphone and their 3G network in major cities can't even handle that as it is without major issues a good portion of the time. Do they really want more data heavy phones bogging down an already stressed network? Waiting was smart.

Fine for me here in Chicago. I can't recall the last time I even dropped a call but that is besides the point of this thread, it's simply a thread to speculate what carriers and a time frame.

(I'm not directing this to the above poster but I know this thread will turn into my carrier is better than yours real fast and I don't want to see that happen.)

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Fine for me here in Chicago. I can't recall the last time I even dropped a call but that is besides the point of this thread, it's simply a thread to speculate what carriers and a time frame.

(I'm not directing this to the above poster but I know this thread will turn into my carrier is better than yours real fast and I don't want to see that happen.)

Sorry about that, I don't want to see it go off in that direction either, wasn't my intent. Just my rationalization as to why AT&T has been slower to adopt the Android phones.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
IMO AT&T was smart to hold off. No sense in a big investment if Android turned out to be a flop.

I see the Desire hitting T-Mo late spring as a peace offering for the way they are forced to handle the Nexus sales and support.

pseudoremora

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
IMO AT&T was smart to hold off. No sense in a big investment if Android turned out to be a flop.

I see the Desire hitting T-Mo late spring as a peace offering for the way they are forced to handle the Nexus sales and support.

Apparently, Desire is causing such a big commotion that all 5 major European carriers plan on promoting and carrying the device... I'm looking forward to the SuperSonic though, should be pretty cool.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has to be first for the US. They took a major chance on Android with the G1 and paved the way for everything we're seeing now. I had a friend who got it at launch and through the growing pains it became a really good solid phone.

It'll be interesting to see if the Desire gets the BB curve treatment (Release on every US carrier with slight variations between the 4 diff versions) or how its handled.

barkerja

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
I don't see AT&T keeping the iPhone for another year, this will be the year they lose their exclusivity meaning the iPhone will probably launch on other carriers this summer. Hence why they're pushing Android heavily now ...

With that said, I think the desire could go to any carrier except for Verizon, since Verizon already has the Nexus One which is essentially the Desire just renamed and a few other minor changes. Sprint is a possibility, but doubtful with them about to drop the Supersonic (which I cannot wait for..), so my guess is T-Mobile and/or AT&T.

Just my speculation :)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site

For the most part it's the exact same device, leads me to believe it will not hit T-Mobile. I guess we will find out in due time though. :p

kennethmsmith

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I think this summer you will see some shifting. I think you will see iPhone shift to other carriers like VZW and T-Mo, and it will be replaced (sales wises) on AT&T by the iPad. And the reason AT&T is finally bringing out Android, is because they don't want to be the only carrier to not have both iphone and android starting this summer. So I predict AT&T will have at least 3 android devices by the summer time (at least one will be an HTC phone with equivalent specs to the Nexus 1 or Desire).

And that will be the smartphone I buy to replace my old Motorola Razor V3xx

Music Ian

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
My guess, due to a specs page I read (where it shows GSM and CDMA bands), it will eventually be across all carriers, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to a lot more phones in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2