1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Using UK Desire in the USA (Boss Me Around)

Hello all,

I'm travelling to the US for a 3-week vacation in Iowa, and I want to see if I can use my Vodafone HTC Desire there with a pay-as-you-go or pre-paid SIM. Keep in mind, I only want to make phone calls within the States, and not call back to the UK. Also, I don't want to use data, just phone minutes. Could somebody tell me if this is possible? If so, boss me around and tell me to go to such-and-such store (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc) and get a such-and-such sim card.

This is just for if I have an emergency in the US, such as needing a pizza delivered, etc.

Thanks,
    Scottie

ROM
    Oxygen 2.1.4

Default Re: Using UK Desire in the USA (Boss Me Around)

Quote Originally Posted by s tooley View Post
    Hello all,

I'm travelling to the US for a 3-week vacation in Iowa, and I want to see if I can use my Vodafone HTC Desire there with a pay-as-you-go or pre-paid SIM. Keep in mind, I only want to make phone calls within the States, and not call back to the UK. Also, I don't want to use data, just phone minutes. Could somebody tell me if this is possible? If so, boss me around and tell me to go to such-and-such store (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc) and get a such-and-such sim card.

This is just for if I have an emergency in the US, such as needing a pizza delivered, etc.

Thanks,
    Scottie
    Ha ha, that's the best example of an emergency ;-) Verizon uses the CDMA network standard, so you should go for a T-Mobile, Sprint or AT&T (ask if the GSM standard is used). You should question yourself if you really need another sim just for emergency's.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

You'll also have to get your Desire unlocked if it is locked. That's a post on the xda forum. Unfortunately I can't link you to it at the moment but I will edit this post when I am able to.

Sent from my HTC Desire