2.2 on the eris

jd

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't heard, punk.kaos,the developer over@xda forums has been working on froyo for the eris.I'm running v13 of his rom and its awesome.he's got v17 up already though.so if you're rooted and you want to play with froyo check it out.

xstrider

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
V17 already. I was looking at it yesterday and it was v15 lol. I might have to give it one more day before jumping in although I have heard good things about v13.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll be trying this out next week myself, just to see FroYo in action. I do like running the Cyanogen/AOSP plain Android ROMS, but you miss out on some Eris features - MMS receiving never seems to work, cameras are terrible compared with an HTC frameworks based ROM, etc.

fox1161

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank You! I am tiring of not being able to hear my ringtone when receiving calls. 2.1 has been nothing but frustration. Please don't let us down in 2.2.

Dr Mixer

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
New to Root... Eris on 2.2

I'm new to the Root game, but I'm ready to dive in. Quick (and probably easy) question. Paid apps... will I have to buy them again, or am I good when I re-install them?

Also, do they have a step-by-step directions link for the Froyo version you are running?

How easy is it to update and flash a new ROM when another Froyo version comes out.

Thanks

---------------------
n/m www.theunlockr.com has excellent tutorials + vids

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to the Root game, but I'm ready to dive in. Quick (and probably easy) question. Paid apps... will I have to buy them again, or am I good when I re-install them?

No, so long as you use the same google account as when you purchased them.

Also, do they have a step-by-step directions link for the Froyo version you are running?

It was pretty much go into Amon's Recovery, wipe menu, do both Dalvik cache wipe and data wipe, then flash the ROM. It even has the Google apps, I believe.

See [ROM]KaosFroyo V23 [07/14] [FROYO] - xda-developers

How easy is it to update and flash a new ROM when another Froyo version comes out.

It's actually not too bad. It is still early yet for FroYo, and I only flashed one version, found an issue with one of my apps, and went back to a 2.1 build. I think that most updates are wipe and install. However, these stock Android Cyanogen based ROMs I believe include the Cyanogen feature that downloads all of your apps at first install. I was shocked when I installed the other day to find all (or perhaps almost all) of my apps downloading and installing after I logged in with my Google account. I had run a 2.1 based Cyanogen ROM before, and all of those apps came installing back down. I don't think that the data came back - I still had to log in to my twitter account in Seesmic and all of that - but, otherwise, it was very painless.

CrackMonkey91

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Yah this rom is so coool im on V23 cant wait for every release this guy makes (is he a guy? lol) any way last guy posted the link go to it if you have root its so cool some bugs but still pretty cool

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I got tired of waiting for the OTA and ended up rooting my phone..yes the leaked v3 2.1 can be rooted. my bootloader is still 1.49 S on, i have SU and everything. I been rocking the KaosFroyo V23.. me like. It does have a few bugs, my camera doesn't work. And a few other thing but all in all better than what it was before.

xstrider

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I keep thinking about it but I do love my Evil Eris and sometimes I use te camera lol. If it wasn't for that I might have jumped in. Of course I could probably use a 3rd party camera. I think I am just going to wiat till v24 which hopefully has the new kernel.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The camera works in v23 when you take photos - it's the preview that does not work. Well, barcode scanner does not work, either.

xstrider

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Camera Magic from the market works...and yes, he's working on the kernel for v24.

Sent from my FroyoEris

Yea I have been eagerly awaiting for v24 to see if they got the kernel working. I beleive there is a beta on Github now.

I liked the ROM, however I have discovered I am quite fond of the camera in Sense. At leat I think it is the Sense camera and not the a default google one. But I guess I would have to play with Camera Magic a bit more. I also hope thye get the camcorder to work, just because I like all the option there even though I don't really use it. :p

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
how hard would it be to load sense ui on this rom? Do get me wrong it's great, but I have several apps that keep force closing and I have no problems running them on sense ui. I tried adding rosie.apk to the system/app in the zip file, but no joy

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
to get wifi tethering down load wifi tether fromthe app market..the one by muller,lemon or something like that...it works.I'm using it right now in my work truck

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Right, WiFi tethering works in kaos.froyo, just not the built-in, Android 2.2 tethering.

I was using camera magic last night and I was not all that impressed, but, saying that, the Eris camera is a piece of junk anyway. I have not been happy with any photos that I have taken with the eris, official sense camera software or not. It would be nice to have it working, though.

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Two odd KaosFroyo V24 annoyances

I tried to get Evil Eris working properly, gave up on it and moved on to KaosFroyo V24 earlier today. Overall, it's working a lot better than I expected. After all, I can live w/o the camera for a little while.

I have, however, found two annoyances, one of which is serious. First, the dialer can't lookup contacts by using the letter equivalents of a phone keypad's numbers, as is common in HTC Sence, iPhone, WinMo, etc. It would be nice to have this feature back. Any ideas, folks?

Second, and more seriously, the Home/Menu/Back/Search bar doesn't light up any more, making it almost impossible to hit the right spot when using the phone in the dark.

Please -- anyone have any insight into how to fix this? I'm hoping it's a setting that I missed somewhere. Otherwise, it's a major problem with an otherwise very impressive ROM.

Thx...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Second, and more seriously, the Home/Menu/Back/Search bar doesn't light up any more, making it almost impossible to hit the right spot when using the phone in the dark.

Please -- anyone have any insight into how to fix this? I'm hoping it's a setting that I missed somewhere. Otherwise, it's a major problem with an otherwise very impressive ROM.

This was lost in the V24 update. If this is really bugging you, I'd suggest flashing V23 instead - the link is still there in the thread at xda - as the backlit softkey buttons worked in that version.

Kaos is aware of this issue, and I am sure it will be fixed in V25.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie