Did Rooting My Eris Destroy my SD Card?
Please help a newbie out.
I rooted my Eris with KaosFroyo v34 and was in the process of downloading all my favorite apps when I got a notification that my SD card was damaged. Tried unmounting/mounting from the settings menu. Then powering down, removing/replacing the battery and card to see if that might work. As a last resort, I tried reformatting the card, all to no avail.
Has anyone had a similar issue or a possible work around? I'd prefer not to have to buy a new card for fear of frying it.
Frankly, I'm a little spooked. Talk me off the ledge!
- 09-30-2010, 05:42 PM #2
- 6 Posts
Fix damaged SD notification
Had the same problem with a Corrupt SD card notification.. This worked like a charm for me on my Eris.
1) Download and install "Auto mount your sd card " from market (its Free).
Run and set the check mark to on.
2) Plug your phone into your computer with the usb cable.. It should automatically mount as a drive on your pc and you should be able to see all the files on the SD card. Now stop and thank baby Jesus...
3) Copy the entire content of the SD card onto the computers hard drive...
4) Once your SD data is backed up to your pc you can safely format the SD card (which clears the error). NOTE:Unplug and Format the SD card using your phone and not your pc.
5) Plug back in and copy your data back over to the freshly formatted SD.
Your android should read the sd card fine now.
Hope this does the trick for you too.
- 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM #3
Rooted and went to dl and install a ROM...discovered the sd card could not be read and install anything. So....copied over all files, wiped, formatted...and tried again. Still says "bad" sd card. I did not move any files over except for the ones I wanted to use. In other words, the update.zip files. I'm flung back to 1.6 and can't anything to update in recovery. I'm still rooted, tho...and it boots up fine, just can't go anywhere else. Are there any sbf full system files to flash via usb and how do I do that? I've searched here and over at XDA and haven't found any. Help!
BTW, I'm doing this to my former Eris...not my current phone. Just was trying to do this and give it to my son. Should have left well enough alone.
- 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM #4
- How did you root the phone? Which process exactly?
- Did you format the card on the phone, or connected to a PC by a USB card reader?
- If you restart the phone to the bootloader - with the phone powered off, hold down VolDn and press power (keep holding VolDn until the bootloader starts). Which version of the bootloader are you running? It should be something like 1.47000, 1.49000, 1.492000. Also, does it say S-ON or S-OFF?
- Do you know if you have Amon's Recovery or Clockwork Recovery?
- You say that you are "back to 1.6", but the Eris never had 1.6 - it went from 1.5 to 2.1. Did you never update to 2.1 on the Eris? Or are you running the 1.6 version of a custom ROM? If that's the case, which custom ROM is it?
- Going back to how you formatted the card, did you ever use Amon's Recovery to partition the card for apps2sd (i.e., applications to SD card)? If so, perhaps going through the partition process on Amon's Recovery, choosing 0 bytes for the size of the ext partition and the swap partition, will solve the problem, as that will put only a single FAT32 partition on the SD card (note that this will also wipe the SD card.)
Are there any sbf full system files to flash via usb
There is an RUU utility for Windows that will put an unrooted, stock 2.1 build back on the phone, but I would hold out on that for now - whether it will work depends on the version of the bootloader on the phone, and people have bricked their Erises with Clockwork Recovery when trying to install an RUU.
- 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM #5
I used a one click app from the Market to root.It was on 2.1 from the factory (replacement phone). Now it says 1.6 Firmware. Weird. No ROM installed, ever on this device. Kernal is 2.6.29-8a03cb9a [email protected] #1.
Never touched the partition on the SD card. Didn't have Amon or Clockwork...
SBF is a term used for recovery files on the X. They return the phone back to stock and unbrick.
I formatted the card without PC, using wipe on phone.
Again, never was able to install any ROMS...I did dl a couple, and even had the old images for 2.1 on the card, which I saved and then put back on the card after formatting to try that. Of course, it still would not allow me to flash anything.
The phone isn't bricked. It boots up fine into this 1.6 os. However , it will NOT connect to wifi. So, I don't have any wireless or otherwise connection to dl or do much of anything with it.
So, something that root app did to the system files regarding reading the card. I also thinks it's weird it through it back into this 1.6 and didn't retain the 2.1 it was on.
Bootloader is 1.49 S is on.
I knew that only a FAT32 non-partitioned sd card would work...but as I said...didn't mess with the partioning on the card before rooting.
Again, this was a factory stock version of 2.1 before I dl the root app and installed. Then the fun began:-(
This happened upon reboot after installing root app. Followed instructions which said to reboot and allow app to root, then reboot again.
- 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM #6
- 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM #7
You must have Amon's Recovery. If you hold VolUp while powering up the Eris, it will boot into Amon's Recovery (as you used the 1-click app.)
If you restart in Amon's, there is an option in the menu called USB-MS. If you connect the phone to your computer and select that option, it should mount the SD card to your computer, if it does have a valid partition and format. From there you can copy any other ROM to the SD card, then dismount the card from the computer and press the trackball to return to the Recovery main menu.
I suggest one of these ROMs; I think that they are the best for the Eris:
xtrSENSE 4.6.5 - looks and works just like the stock Eris, without the terrible lag that develops over time. It uses the stock Sense launcher, widgets, etc. It is missing Amazon MP3 store, but you can get that from the market.
xtrROM 5.0 - It's pretty close to stock, without the Sense launcher, with the vanilla Android keyboard and some changed icons, etc. It does have the default Android launcher, with three home screens, but many people get a replacement launcher, like LauncherPro, ADW, ADW Ex, Zeam, etc.
You can find them here:
[ROM][GPL] xtrROM5.0 odex,cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc[1/23/2011] - xda-developers
[ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrSENSE4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers
Copy one of those files - xtrSENSE4.6.5.zip or xtrROM5.0.zip - to the SD card when you use the USB-MS toggle, and then:
- Go to the wipe menu, choose both "Wipe data/factory reset" and "Wipe Dalvik cache".
- Go back to the main menu, then to the flash menu, and choose one of those ROMs.
- After the ROM is loaded, restart the phone. The first launch will take several minutes, but then you should be all set, and hopefully that ROM supports the SD card.
If using the USB-MS menu does not show the SD card on your computer, let me know. You can try to format it using Amon's Recovery and see if that fixes it for good.
- 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM #8
I have two ROMS already loaded onto my sd card via usb connection to my computer...copied them over there last night. Rebooted into Recovery, wiped and fomatted card, performed Dalvic-cache wipe, went back to flash ROM...still would not allow me to do the flash...kept saying the file was "bad". Same for every ROM I tried, even the orginal leaked 2.1 image file I had kept from last year. I'll dl one of the ones you suggested and see what that does, but am not hopeful.
Will report back after I try what you've suggested.
thanks so much...keeping fingers crossed.
- 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM #9
Generally, if Recovery says that a file is bad, that means it was probably either an incomplete download or an incomplete copy to the SD card. After you copy, if there is a way to verify that the file size matches what you downloaded, that's helpful. xtrROM5.0.zip is 98,639,201 bytes; xtrSENSE4.6.5.zip is 125,453,133 bytes. If you know how to do an MD5 hash, that's also helpful, as you can verify for sure that the files were completely downloaded.
- 02-15-2011, 04:02 PM #10
- 02-15-2011, 04:46 PM #11
To be honest, there is now a Gingerbread ROM that I think is better than the Froyo ROMs. It's still a little early, but everything (except Adobe Flash) works - the camera, GPS, WiFi, etc. - it's stable and ready to go, IMHO.
It's called GingerShedBread (or GSB for short). There is one thing to watch for when installing, though - it is a two step flash process. The install requires both the .zip file for GSB and a .zip file for Google apps. You install it with this procedure:
- Restart in Recovery
- Nandroid backup (just in case)
- From the wipe menu, "Wipe data/factory reset" and "Wipe Dalvik cache"
- From the flash menu, Flash the GSB file (GSB.v1.4-CM7.0.0_STABLE.zip)
- Before you restart, go back to the flash menu and Flash the Google apps file (gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip)
This build has a themed version of LauncherPro as a default home. If you want something different, you can try ADW or Zeam - both are good and free.
I find both Gingerbread and the Froyo ROMs to be as fast as the two xtr ROMs that are running Eclair (2.1), but they burn less battery.
You can find the two files to download here: [ROM][NAV Fixed] GSB v1.4 | GingerBread 2.3.2 [CM7.0.0 RC0 NIGHTLY][2-15-2011] - xda-developers
- 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM #12
Ok, got the GingerShedBread ROM installed, and all seems to be working very smoothly. In the process of setting up Launcher Pro, etc. I am using wifi to accomplish all of this.
I can't thank you enough for helping me through this. Been a long time since I fooled with my old Eris. My adult son will enjoy using it a lot now..beats his having to go buy another phone to replace his old LG Tritan! lol It is such a smooth device now, I almost wish I were keeping it! haha
oh well...I do love my X, too. BTW, I am quite concerned that upcoming devices will be tracked and the network disabled for rooted phones. I've heard that is coming (rumor from good source). One reason I am so hesitant to get a new phone coming out.
Again, thanks a million! I did do an extensive search to solve my issue before posting here. And the ppl on Android Central are the very best!
- 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM #13
- 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM #14
Checked in with my son this morning to see how the Eris was running for him. He reports no problems. He did say that Angry Birds was laggy. Don't think there is any fix for this.
Again, many kudos to you for your help! Hope I can "pay it forward" too!!! You just helped a 62 yrs old grandmother! Yep, I'm not the usual android addict:-)
- 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM #15
- 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM #16
- 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM #17