Please help a non techy out!

dunkyfried

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
ok guys and gals...i suck at technology and i am stuck with this pos eris. i have heard that "updating", or whatever its formally called, to 2.2 or later will fix a lot of the eris' crappy issues. i have downloaded "htc eris one clock root" from the droid marketplace... went through the steps and it doesnt do anything. does a prompt come up saying something,at least reassuring me that i am doing something right? ;) from there, how do i proceed. i have read and tried 4 different procedures and nothing has worked. i got this one Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums to the gscript unpacking and it says bad zip file. i downloaded it 5 times, rebooted, nothing. thats the farthest that i have gotten. i know its horrible but i am a complete computer dunce...

any help, maybe a short step by step would help.

i have searched and have been reading and trying for 2 weeks now...sorry to bother, but thanks in advance to anyone that can help

old guy

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
After running the one-click app and restarting the phone, you are rooted. Amon's Recovery image was installed to your rooted phone after the first restart. If you download a Froyo ROM, such as Kaos Froyo, you can then copy it to the top directory of your SD card (not a directory called "top" - just the top of the tree of directories on the SD card, rather than in a directory or folder), then you should power it down.

From there, you can follow the steps starting in this post: Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums (which is the best step-by-step guide that I know) to start Recovery (from a powered-down phone, press and hold volume up while pressing power until you get a screen that looks like the first image in that post) and run through the process to create a Nandroid backup of your phone - if you have ever used the Norton Ghost application in Windows to save a state of your computer at a given time, this is equivalent; you can use Nandroid Restore later on to bring your phone back exactly to the state it was at the time you ran Nandroid backup). Then you can follow Erisuser1's steps to wipe the data from your phone, flash the Froyo ROM that you want from your SD card, and restart your phone, which will then be running Froyo (or whichever ROM that you choose.)

Good luck. I'll check in here to see how you're doing.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My daughter rooted and installed the Kaos Froyo ROM on her Eris yesterday. It finally worked after she did a wipe of her phone. Until she did that, nothing was working following the instructions given for gscript. The only issue she is reporting to me is she cannot change her wallpapers. She is looking into that problem. Otherwise, she really likes her Eris again!!! She says is it like having a completely NEW phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci