Gumbo-Eris Project (need volunteers)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I said I would port my Hero ROM and build a kernel for the Eris when it was rooted. I need a few people to get me some info:

From a clean (data wipe and DON'T sign in to anything) Eris I need:
The entire /system dir zipped up
The boot.img
The kernel config
The entire /data dir zipped up

To get the /system and /data directories use adb to pull everything

To get the boot image (from adb):
Code:
adb shell
su
cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/boot.img
exit
reboot
It will be saved on your SD card as boot.img

To get the kernel config:
Code:
adb pull /proc/config.gz /PATH-YOU-WANT-TO-SAVE-IT

I'll also need a brave soul to test the first trial. Think hard before you volunteer.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This is assuming someone has ROOT access on the Eris now, correct?

I would, but im on the leak... so im on the side lines. Otherwise i'd do as you said.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Install Amon-Ra's custom recovery image.

Then you can flash and load anything you like, in any version. "Root" is just one file, with the correct permissions, in the correct place :)

Once dropped in the ROM from the last update you then have a stock rooted ROM to build from. It just seems like there's no interest.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well if you can find me a stock 1.5 rooted ROM, i'll consider trying to help you. If the worst happens, I can always use nand restore. After all, i'm only getting information, right?

semmtexx#AC

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Well if you can find me a stock 1.5 rooted ROM, i'll consider trying to help you. If the worst happens, I can always use nand restore. After all, i'm only getting information, right?

Hey mrfarinhight: He said flash Aman Ra's recovery image if you have already rooted your 1.5 Eris.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh. Sorry I must have misunderstood what you were saying gbhil. So let me get this straight: you want all that data from a clean wipe on any current ROM? If that's the case, I won't be able to use ABD as DOS doesn't recognize the phone with current ROM's on XP. So I will need to do it through terminal. If you could tell me the steps to fit using a terminal that would be great. Otherwise it might take a bit through trial and error.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
lol. I almost have myself confused.

You need to be rooted to do any of this.
You need to be running 1.5 and have Amon Ra's recovery installed
I can't whip up a rooted 1.5 ROM and guarantee that it will work (or even boot) as I don't have an Eris.

When someone releases a rooted 1.5 ROM I'll just get what I need from it. No need for anyone to be a guinea pig for this :)

rvpartsguy

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
lol. I almost have myself confused.

You need to be rooted to do any of this.
You need to be running 1.5 and have Amon Ra's recovery installed
I can't whip up a rooted 1.5 ROM and guarantee that it will work (or even boot) as I don't have an Eris.

When someone releases a rooted 1.5 ROM I'll just get what I need from it. No need for anyone to be a guinea pig for this :)

well technically 1.5 is not rooted 2.1 is can you use this infor from the 2.1 root ? or does it have to be 1.5 which is not rooted

binny1070

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Anyone with the eng spl can load the 1.5 system and boot images from the spl and than boot into recovery and do the adb commands from there. If I have some time this week ill try and do this for you.