Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default From Eris to Incredible for free

Hey all. Just wanted to share a story with ya about how I got my Incredible. Gonna try to keep it short, as most Eris owners understand about all the false 2.1 update rumors. I purchased the Droid Eris in December. When I did it was between that and the Moto Droid, and as much as I like the features of the Droid, It was just too ugly for me. Another story for another time, just my personal opinion.

When I got my Eris, I did it with the understanding that it would be getting the 2.1 update soon(January I was told). The end of Jan. rolled around and no update. I was still in my 30 days so I called and asked. This time I was told it was almost ready for release and would be out in early to mid Feb. Ok i can wait.

April rolls around, and still no update. By this time I'm pretty pissed off that my device is being crippled. It can't do what it's capable of = crippled IMO. Again, another debate for another time. So now I started email people. HTC, Vzw, HTC, Vzw. Keep getting the usual run around. Blah blah then end of life for Eris story hit and I'm still very unhappy.

So this is where it gets interesting. After exchanging emails with tier 1's at VZW's CS, I sat down, composed a well-thought out, professional sounding letter(no swearing, didn't mention class action anywhere, politely stating my concerns while showing I was angry). At the end of the letter I added something along the lines of " I understand if you do not have the information to, or cannot address my concerns in more detail. If that is the case, I would like to formally request you forward this message or get me in touch with someone who can. I don't care if it is customer service, a developer, or the CEO........ blah blah more of the same. I also think that if no one is able to address the 2.1 update for the Eris, you should replace my device with something that is capable of what I was promised."

Ok to make a long story less long or TL;DR version: I got a call from a lady that was from the Internet Response Team. She was very excellent and stated that she could see how upset I was and She would send me a Moto Droid. Then said, "or you know we have the Incredible coming out in a few weeks. I know your tired of waiting but if you wanted to hold off a little longer, I can send you one of those.

Now I didn't know if I would have to pay a small restocking fee or w/e so but then she said "of course this will all be at no charge to you". Since I wasn't technically eligible for an upgrade, she couldn't put me in for a pre order, but yesterday morning she keyed it in for overnight shipping(no charge for me again) and I got my Incredible this morning and love it. I really liked my Eris and this is very similar, just everything is X2 lol.

Again sorry for making this so long, but had to for a couple reasons. So people believe me(tho I dont really know why I care), and also for people to take it seriously I guess. Realize that, obviously, Vzw is not going to replace every Eris with an Incredible, if you are persistant, and polite, you may get lucky like I did. Ok good luck all, and goodbye Eris forums!

i had planed to do this as well, i had it all planed out but did not go though with it and im kinda to lazy to do it now, tempting it is but i updated my phone to 2.1 leak so that would probably mess up my chances of pulling this off
    LG Dare => HTC Droid Eris (Rooted) => Motorola Droid (Rooted) => Droid Pro => Samsung Facinate (Rooted)
    Follow Me on Twitter!!!!

Did you make more progress with HTC or Verizon?

I'd rather have the moto droid..
    @imchaad Not asking you to follow me just check it out.

Check out my personal site

can he have some pics?

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gotwood3001 View Post
    can he have some pics?
    pics of?

10 char
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGS3)
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    HTC Droid Incredible
    HTC Droid Eris

ROM

well im to hear someone got something out of all these 2.1 rumors. i personally got too damn tired of waiting and i got myself a droid and i'm going this week to get the incredible so i can switch off from the 2 phones. the droid is def. the superior phone of the 2 but the incredible does pack a serious punch and HTC Sense UI IS THE SH*TTTTTTT
    Device : Galaxy Nexus
    Build : 4.0.3 IML74K
    Kernel: 3.0.8-g490ff3

Quote Originally Posted by Andr0id View Post
    Hey all. Just wanted to share a story with ya about how I got my Incredible. Gonna try to keep it short, as most Eris owners understand about all the false 2.1 update rumors. I purchased the Droid Eris in December. When I did it was between that and the Moto Droid, and as much as I like the features of the Droid, It was just too ugly for me. Another story for another time, just my personal opinion.

When I got my Eris, I did it with the understanding that it would be getting the 2.1 update soon(January I was told). The end of Jan. rolled around and no update. I was still in my 30 days so I called and asked. This time I was told it was almost ready for release and would be out in early to mid Feb. Ok i can wait.

April rolls around, and still no update. By this time I'm pretty pissed off that my device is being crippled. It can't do what it's capable of = crippled IMO. Again, another debate for another time. So now I started email people. HTC, Vzw, HTC, Vzw. Keep getting the usual run around. Blah blah then end of life for Eris story hit and I'm still very unhappy.

So this is where it gets interesting. After exchanging emails with tier 1's at VZW's CS, I sat down, composed a well-thought out, professional sounding letter(no swearing, didn't mention class action anywhere, politely stating my concerns while showing I was angry). At the end of the letter I added something along the lines of " I understand if you do not have the information to, or cannot address my concerns in more detail. If that is the case, I would like to formally request you forward this message or get me in touch with someone who can. I don't care if it is customer service, a developer, or the CEO........ blah blah more of the same. I also think that if no one is able to address the 2.1 update for the Eris, you should replace my device with something that is capable of what I was promised."

Ok to make a long story less long or TL;DR version: I got a call from a lady that was from the Internet Response Team. She was very excellent and stated that she could see how upset I was and She would send me a Moto Droid. Then said, "or you know we have the Incredible coming out in a few weeks. I know your tired of waiting but if you wanted to hold off a little longer, I can send you one of those.

Now I didn't know if I would have to pay a small restocking fee or w/e so but then she said "of course this will all be at no charge to you". Since I wasn't technically eligible for an upgrade, she couldn't put me in for a pre order, but yesterday morning she keyed it in for overnight shipping(no charge for me again) and I got my Incredible this morning and love it. I really liked my Eris and this is very similar, just everything is X2 lol.

Again sorry for making this so long, but had to for a couple reasons. So people believe me(tho I dont really know why I care), and also for people to take it seriously I guess. Realize that, obviously, Vzw is not going to replace every Eris with an Incredible, if you are persistant, and polite, you may get lucky like I did. Ok good luck all, and goodbye Eris forums!
    Could u pleez forward me your LETTER so that I may plAgerize? Plz n thnx!

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

borgey401 spec wise isn't the incredible much better in every way than the motodroid? so how can you say the moto droid is better?

Quote Originally Posted by quic View Post
    borgey401 spec wise isn't the incredible much better in every way than the motodroid? so how can you say the moto droid is better?
    I think he was just stateing his opinion.

I intend on doing the same thing. I just had Verizon send me a new phone because my first eris was having all kinds of making calls issues.

The new one seems to be better, but I have become very disillusioned with this phone. Any advice on what steps I should take inorder to copy what you have done here. The Incredible is everything I thought I was getting with the Eris and didn't.

I don't want to call Verizon and just start ********, but I do want them to know I am serious.

Any chance I can get a copy of the letter you sent? Just so I know what buttons to push.

This did not work for me, I was persistent, talked thru email and on the phone multiple times even had they give me to a supervisor on the phone. Still would not let me switch and all I wanted to do was switch out my Eris for a MOTO Droid. Good luck to whomever gets this done with success.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I talked to the Same woman (possibly) from the Internet response team Yesterday morning.
    The previous night I had e-mailed the Ceo of Verizon wireless with a well thought out, non flaming, not even angry e-mail as well.. (kinda surprised at this post because it was exactly what I did)
    I received an e-mail response from verizon's ceo Lowell Mcadam and then a call from the response team.
    I wasn't looking to get a phone, I just wanted an answer.. why were customers mislead into purchasing this device via promised 2.x updates.

What i got out of it:
    2.1 is indeed in the works still for our device. No she could not give me a timeline, but she did confirm with the development team that it was still on for release "soon"

She was going to follow up with my VZ store that sold me the eris and that told me last week that 2.1 was NOT coming out for the eris.

Overall was a VERY good phone call.
    I was just shocked I got a response from verizon's ceo...

I'm not exactly sure who Lowell Mcadam is but he/she is not the CEO of Verizon. The current Chairman and CEO is Ivan Seidenberg.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Lowell Mcaddam is the Ceo of Verizon WIRELESS
    Ivan is the global Verizon unit CEO.
    They operate under different divisions.
    Banned

Worked through internet response, got upgraded to the Incredible at $199, though I just joined VZW last month. Didn't feel like going through all the hoops to try to get a free upgrade. Feel like I'm moving from the JV to the varsity. Arrives tomorrow...adios Eris.

Well I didn't quite get the Incredible for free, but after I sell my Eris it will be free.

I complained to customer service and the store about the 2.0 update that I was assured would be here in Feb, when I bought the Eris in November. I finally went to Verizon's Executive Relations and the agreed to let me purchase the Eris for $199 (on line price). It shipped yesterday and will arrive Monday.

Like the OP said, be nice, yet adamant and let then know that you are mad, without getting made. Do not threaten to file a complaint with the FCC or to leave Verizon as that will get you nowhere. Just be persistent with them.

I really doubt the claims that customer service has given the concession for people that just recently bought the Eris. They generally don't have that kind of authority. But you have to start there to show that you tried to resolve the issue before going to corporate.

It's funny that all they did for me was to change my contract expiration date in the system. Just a few mouse clicks to keep a customer happy. That's all it took to make a Verizon customer for life.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

did you mean incredible
    jib

Quote Originally Posted by Andr0id View Post

So you lied to Verizon and they sent you a new phone? My wife purchased the Moto Droid shortly after release and chose it because it had Android 2.0. The Eris had 1.5 and she was told there would be an update to it to 2.0 in the first quarter of 2010 according to HTC but she wanted Google Maps and it was better on the 2.0 platform. At the time I decided to wait before getting a new phone because I needed a PTT phone for personal use and my BB Tour didn't have the PTT software yet.

When the Tour Software was available I started looking at my personal line and decided to wait since there were rumors of the Incredible and Android 2.1. When the ERIS was released there was no 2.1 software offered so someone at Verizon believed your story? Sounds fishy to me, can you back up your claims that you received a free Incredible because everyone else in here seems to be getting told another story.
    My Droid Incredible Spanked Your iPhone.

Spent an hour on the phone with customer service. They moved my upgrade date to today, so I can replace my phone, and once I sell mine, it will have been free.

Customer service guy was not happy with me. But I was polite and persistent.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jib View Post
    So you lied to Verizon and they sent you a new phone? My wife purchased the Moto Droid shortly after release and chose it because it had Android 2.0. The Eris had 1.5 and she was told there would be an update to it to 2.0 in the first quarter of 2010 according to HTC but she wanted Google Maps and it was better on the 2.0 platform. At the time I decided to wait before getting a new phone because I needed a PTT phone for personal use and my BB Tour didn't have the PTT software yet.

When the Tour Software was available I started looking at my personal line and decided to wait since there were rumors of the Incredible and Android 2.1. When the ERIS was released there was no 2.1 software offered so someone at Verizon believed your story? Sounds fishy to me, can you back up your claims that you received a free Incredible because everyone else in here seems to be getting told another story.
    Not sure what you mean by lying. Hmm didn't know I'd need evidence, but I can sure show ya what I got. I have the original emails from VZW(until I talked to the lady from Internet Response Team as we switched to phone correspondance). I have my old Eris, with the return label I was sent to return it to VZW. I have my new Incredible. I have my Invoice that shows my $500+(whatever the price is) credit as well as the overnight shipping credit.

*Edit* Unless you mean when I stated that I was told the Eris was getting 2.1 when I purchased it? I guess I don't remember the specific number they used, but I was specifically told that the Eris would be getting an update to be able to use Navigation as well as a few other apps I was interested in, and would be running the same OS version as the Moto Droid. I don't know if they said 2.1, I just used that as it's the OS being implemented.

But again, to all those that asked, I can sure show ya all the "evidence" I have. Email correspondance, both phones, return label for Eris, invoice showing I paid nothing. Can't think of anything more, but if I got it, I can sure show ya. I will not, however, be releasing the name of the lady I talked to.

I don't really think that evidence is really needed so I wouldn't waste your time..

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chdtpn View Post
    I don't really think that evidence is really needed so I wouldn't waste your time..
    Touche, my friend. I agree.

I was just sharing a story so that someone else could possibly benefit from it. I know how frustrating it is waiting and waiting for the update with all the rumors flying around. I haven't been following the Eris specifically, but it sounds like the real deal may be on the way? I hope so for all the Eris owners. I do love my Incredible so much more than any other device I have ever owned, but I must say, I really liked my Eris. I picked it over the Moto Droid when I got it, and was always confident with my decision from a personal standpoint.

If anyone is thinking about upgrading from the Eris to the Incredible but is on the fence, I'm sure you will be extremely happy if you do. Like I sad, I loved my Eris, and the Incredible is like the Erisx2. It really is very similar, just way way faster and with more memory and 2.1.

To be honest I would probably rather have the MOTO Droid over my Eris or the Incredible. They both are so similar and I just get bored with phones easy so hopefully 2.1 will spark up new interest in my Eris.

The only thing Verizon has offered to do is switch out my Eris for another and I've been talking to them for weeks trying to get them to give me a MOTO Droid instead lol. So finally I just said forward my emails to Lowell Mcadam.