1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So how far can Eris grow? 2.2?

It took us this long to get 2.1 - is the Eris capable of further growth? 2.2 or further? Was this already addressed somewhere and I just missed it?
    Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

I wouldn't really count on it lol
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Oh, I'm not counting on it. Just curious.
    Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

haha yeah, I mean, it would definitely be nice though.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

You might be able to get 2.2 with root sooner or later

Looking at this from HTC's and Verizon's point of view, I see no motivation for them to spend months developing a 2.2 update for a phone that uses older hardware and which is not one of their top-tier Android handsets. I would think that developers are working on FroYo updates for people who have root, but I seriously doubt that there will be official updates released.

I think that Verizon and HTC really wanted to make sure that Eris users were not stuck at 1.5 but received an Eclair update. They have done that. I can see them coming out with bug fixes for 2.1, but not 2.2.

I think Verizon usually gives one update prior to end of life, which for the Eris, I think is June. If they EOL the phone, there won't be any further official updates, though we will probably get fixes for a few months. I hope so anyway!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Nothing like buying a product that doesn't even make it for a year....

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Yeah tell me about it. I got mine at the end of Dec and I used a buddy of mines upgrade so I don't even have a warranty on it. I am using leak 2.1v3 and have no way to roll back to 1.5 to root
    jd

I'm being optimstic. I think we'll get froyo. At least for root anyway.

VZW will prolly get a 2.2 update out for the Eris. Remember, the standard upgrade is 20 months so expect support for that long at least. Android is easier to test than bb, better internal documentation and change logs from Google, so that makes VZW's job easier. I say yes, it'll get upgraded. But ill be onto a different phone by then.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I guess my main thing is not so much what VZ will do but what the Eris' system can support. Can it handle anything beyond (or much beyond) 2.1? Dunno if there's a concrete answer for that.

I thought they said at the 2.2 announcement that the Eris is capable of it, but I didn't see anything first hand. I guess you should go look up the transcript of the announcement and see what they said, if anything.
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai