programs "running themselves" even after I close them

JDR

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Hey, hope someone has seen this before.

I am a user/abuser of Advanced Task Killer because I like to keep the memory free and the battery life high on my Eris.

Since the update I find that when I run ATK, a slew of programs are running that I never ran. Footprints, Amazon mp3, Skype Voice, and on and on.

I 'KILL' them and go about my business, an hour later I go to ATK and they are all running AGAIN.

Any idea if there's a permissions level I can set to prevent programs from self-running without me manually activating them?

thanks
JD

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
First, task killers are android systems worst nightmare. For this exact reason!

The processes you are trying to kill are the ones that need to run in he background at all times in order to operate. Android is smart enough to kill Alps over time if they are not in use which makes task killers pointless. No need to be memory nazi. All will pan out. Just leave it to android. =)

JDR

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Respectfully, I have to disagree or think that you didn't read my post thoroughly.

Explain why Amazonmp3, Peep and Skype Mobile need to run at all times? These are on demand services that should run when and only when I use/want them.

(if these are, somehow, running a full time background service, I should have the option of turning it off -- its ridiculous to think I need Amazon mp3 service all the time)

Sure, you can make a case that 'Messages' or 'Mail' could run without user action because it may need to actively check your mail and message accounts on a preset timer.

But why these other programs? It's the PC Desktop equivalent of finding that Firefox is self running and idling the back ground...except instead of 4gigs of memory to waste, you have a lot less.

I wouldn't be a memory monitor if I didn't need to be - memory management (along with battery life) are not stand out qualities of the Eris so I need to do the work that the programming or firmware doesn't.

There's a reason Advanced Task Killer has millions of downloads and 4+ stars. Sadly the google folks didn't plan for this and someone else had to.

Any other solutions out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz