Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trying to Root.

I am trying to Root my Eris. This is my first time trying this and i've done everything to a "T" I was able to do it on my cousin's phone which didn't have any of the leaked versions of 2.1.

I in the other hand did i had version 1, 2 and 3 and then installed the file after it was official (manually installed it.) I can't get the my phone to updated that PBOOOM.zip (whatever is called) it says it is an older version.

Doing everything i've done... is there a way to Root my Eris at the moment?

Not if you are running a leaked version.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I had the leaked version but then installed the official version.

If by the official version you mean the RUU update that people have posted, you still cannot root.

The issue is that the bootloader of the original, 1.5 release of the Eris is version 1.47. The bootloader of all of the leaks is 1.49, and the RUU update is also 1.49. If you install the 2.1 patch over the air on a phone that is running 1.5, it leaves the bootloader intact at version 1.47.

The ROM image that gives you root will not install over a bootloader that is version 1.49. There is no way to go back to the 1.47 bootloader version (that anybody has discovered), and there is not yet a way to get root for a phone running the 1.49 bootloader.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

But on the bright side since the ruu came from Verizon then you will most likely get all future updates for the phone. Seeing as they have updated the bootloader to 1.49. So I would hold out for froyo as far as I know the only device not getting it is the g1.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the info I though that the bootloader thing was what it was preventing me from doing it.

I am glad to hear that the eris "should" be getting Froyo we all know how long it took for them to bring 2.1.

Default new phone came with the leaked version of 2.1...

I had a problem with my phone and verizion sent me a new one...yea. Well turns out that this "like new" replacement has the leaked version of 2.1 on it. What the hell, wondering if i should call and complain. I think the leaked version is the problem, my home screen will start scrolling by itself. Anyone else have this problem?

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

The "leaked" version is the same as the OTA, except someone has disabled OTA updates on the leaked version. Either way you don't want it. I had 2.1 installed on the 3rd replacement I just received. I'm really starting to hate this phone, it was a good phone till 2.1.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

I still think it's a great phone...just wish they would 1 put out an ota update to fix the problems..ie silent bug, 2 keep the phone alive, I hate when you buy a phone and then get 1 update and then 6 months later it's old news and I have 18 more months with the phone. Will the Eris not support 2.2? I swear I got more os updates on my Blackberry.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I found this that should help... the instructions are very poorly written and i am not too familiar with the whole rooting buisness.

I can't get the device to show up on the computer when is on recovery mode. it advices to something pre installed on your phone but it does not say how or where to find the files.

Maybe someone more tech savy then me can figure this out and help everyone who is stuck with the 1.49 HBOOT.

Rooting 1.49 on hboot. ONLY WAY FOR NOW. (Now with Video proof) - xda-developers