1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ERIS 2.1 help! I want to root my cell.

I am currently running Android 2.1 the OTA version that Verizon put out. I want to know how to root my Eris that is already running 2.1, my HBOOT version is 1.46.0000

Thanks in advance for anybody's help... PEACE OUT!

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

It's the same as 1.5

As xesso mentioned, the steps are the same if you have 2.1 installed OTA with a 1.46 bootloader.

You may want to if you want to try to set up the ability to unroot later on, though the images to do that are publicly available anyway.

Two ROMs that I like and recommend are (don't let the alpha fool you - it's stable, and very close to stock 2.1, with speed and many of the less popular apps set up to always run) and , which has most of the HTC frameworks without the SenseUI front end - it's very lean, with a lot of free space, and FAST. Just follow the directions carefully - you flash the ROM itself, reboot, set up your Google account, then restart in recovery and flash the Google extra apps (and any of the other options, such as the HTC social networking sync apps and live wallpaper support.) Again, though, I'd start with Ivan's and get comfortable with that.

Here is a really good guide that i followed when i rooted an Eris and worked great.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hey thanks for the replies, I will try later tonight when I get home from work. So I should probably backup everything first LOL!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

If I update to Ivans Alpha, is there any problems updating to a different ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by torrentgonzo View Post
    If I update to Ivans Alpha, is there any problems updating to a different ROM?
    No, you can switch to ROMs as often as you like. As long as you do all of the steps right, you will have Amon's Recovery Image loaded, and from there you can make Nand backups (and then restores) of your phone, so it makes switching from one ROM to another and then back to where you were very easy.

Again, if you read those steps carefully, you should be all set.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all the help, I DID IT!!!! I rooted my Eris last night and it was pretty easy. Now if I want to change to another ROM what parts do I have to redo? I know I dont need to redo the Android SDK and Java. But what else?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I know it was posted how to change the ROM but I want to make sure so I don't brick my phone.

make sure to check the hash file # for the root it should be 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94. I went online and downloaded one that was tagged as 2.1 root, but was 2.1 V3 leak...luckily my phone is messing up again and they're sending a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by torrentgonzo View Post
    Thank you for all the help, I DID IT!!!! I rooted my Eris last night and it was pretty easy. Now if I want to change to another ROM what parts do I have to redo? I know I dont need to redo the Android SDK and Java. But what else?
    Assuming that you installed Amon's Recovery Image, you would:

- restart the phone in recovery (by holding Volume Up while pressing power),
    - (optionally) going to backup/restore, perform a Nand backup (in case you want go back to this ROM the way that it is now, without having to reinstall and reset everything),
    - go back to the Recovery Menu,
    - go to the Wipe menu, perform both Wipe Dalvik Cache and Wipe data/factory reset,
    - go back to the Main Menu, -
    - and then choose to flash a new ROM image.