Droid Eris Crippled?

sk817

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
So my theory is that the eris got crippled by verizon with the poor battery just to give the moto droid more advantage. Does anybody else feel the same? Why not just give it a 1500 battery instead of a 1300? I get my upgrade Dec. 1st which its a long time for me. I've played with the eris and i like it. :D

church.cameron

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

My name is Cameron Church, I am from Verizon in thier Wireless division here to clear up a few things about the HTC ERIS and the battery life you may be experiencing.

All consumers look for that key ingredient in anything they purchase; reliability and performance. And of course they will look at their provider or manufacturer if that item isn't working as expected.The HTC ERIS running ANDROID 1.5 and has protocols and policies in play that manage battery use. It also has a optimal battery life and allows you to get the full utilization from your supported device.

Many things have to be considered when looking at your phones battery life-time. When using your phone extensively on certain apps, or maybe even surfing the web, it can have a impact on your phones battery life-time. being in locations like dense buildings can make your phone work harder to locate cellular signal, in this affect it can also shorten the life time on that battery which would require you to charge more often.

Most of the time its not your equipment it can be your environment. Many things you don't take into consideration while using your mobile device. The HTC ERIS has been tested and shows a battery time span ( or talk time ) of 6 hours. The reason for the the 1300 battery is due to the compatibility of the phone. A 1500 would require the phone to lose out on its current slim line design. As for the comment of "giving the Motorola Droid the advantage", this would not be true. Both phones are obviously different and acquire different characteristics that cannot be compared since they are in two different realms of hand-held capabilities and performance. Its truly up to the consumer to choose which one is the right fit for them, I could understand the comment if they were identical and held only one difference which would be battery model, but this is not the case.
In summary, many of your day to day environments can cause certain impacts on your phones performance, much like any product out on the market today.

I hope this helps you understand more about your HTC ERIS.

Cameron Church
VERIZON Corp Relations

Last edited:

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
I might have bought Cameron's statement about the reasoning behind the 1300mAH battery if it weren't for the fact that the Eris and Sprint Hero are basically the same phone and the Hero has a 1500mAH battery.

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

My name is Cameron Church, I am from Verizon in thier Wireless division here to clear up a few things about the HTC ERIS and the battery life you may be experiencing.

All consumers look for that key ingredient in anything they purchase; reliability and performance. And of course they will look at their provider or manufacturer if that item isn't working as expected.The HTC ERIS running ANDROID 1.5 and has protocols and policies in play that manage battery use. It also has a optimal battery life and allows you to get the full utilization from your supported device.

Many things have to be considered when looking at your phones battery life-time. When using your phone extensively on certain apps, or maybe even surfing the web, it can have a impact on your phones battery life-time. being in locations like dense buildings can make your phone work harder to locate cellular signal, in this affect it can also shorten the life time on that battery which would require you to charge more often.

Most of the time its not your equipment it can be your environment. Many things you don't take into consideration while using your mobile device. The HTC ERIS has been tested and shows a battery time span ( or talk time ) of 6 hours. The reason for the the 1300 battery is due to the compatibility of the phone. A 1500 would require the phone to lose out on its current slim line design. As for the comment of "giving the Motorola Droid the advantage", this would not be true. Both phones are obviously different and acquire different characteristics that cannot be compared since they are in two different realms of hand-held capabilities and performance. Its truly up to the consumer to choose which one is the right fit for them, I could understand the comment if they were identical and held only one difference which would be battery model, but this is not the case.
In summary, many of your day to day environments can cause certain impacts on your phones performance, much like any product out on the market today.

I hope this helps you understand more about your HTC ERIS.

Cameron Church
VERIZON Corp Relations
So instead of typing out a boiler plate response..OR trying to do damage control......have YOU used an Eris like a normal or even a POWER Smartphone user does? I don't think so. VZW is promoting this device to do this so-called background work transparently to give the user all info that is UPTO date, so now if that is true I have to always make sure that Background Data is ALWAYS ON to accomplish touted feature which is counter-productive to what a battery can survive. To a certain degree I will accept your answer of " keeping the device smaller or keeping a slim-line" hence a slimbattery. YET, VZW should provide a bigger battery with a different cover to help STOP the damage control you are trying to do. What a great PR that would have been for VZW ;)
A normal smartphone user almost always does some of these settings on their phones (mind you this is generic statement and I dont mean that EVERY phone user does this)
Screen Brightness turned down to as low as possible
BT headset on always (remember lot of states have hands-free law, then what baffles me is why NO Voice-Dialing capability on a device made in these modern times)
Wi-Fi on ONLY when needed
Background Data ON
Sync Always ON for Corp or regular emails.
Typical Call Times around a total of 120 minutes/day sometimes less too.
Maybe txtn'g around 20~40/day
Surf the Web for maybe a total of an hour per day
I don't want to bring in Applications downloaded as it will askew many of the results I look for as far as "normal" battery life.
I have the Droid and the Eris, I switch between the two every other day cause I am a techy-geek...:eek:

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX