HTC Eris vs Palm Pre Plus

RadRacer513

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Palm Pre Plus through Verizon; I've had the phone since May and I LOVE the Os, but the lack of apps and updates is killing me. The whole reason I wanted a smartphone was for the apps. Anyways, I have an offer to trade my Pre Plus for a Droid Eris. It's been rooted already although I don't know what ROM he's running. I've been doing some research and I'm thinking of doing the switch, but what do you guys think? Obviously most of you will be biased to the Eris :p but I want everyone's input.

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I traded my Palm Pre on Sprint for the Droid Eris on Verizon and gave the Eris to my girlfriend. Comparing those two I can tell you that I liked the Pre better, the Eris is just too laggy. My first experience with Android was the HTC Evo and I loved that phone it's super fast. The Eris on the other hand is laggy, doesnt have enough app storage, and is generally slow. While texting it even lags when you use the on screen keyboard. You won't notice it at first, but if your phone gets to much stuff on it and you don't constantly maintain it; it really slows down.

So if you want a change go for it, the Eris is still a good phone. I would stay with the Pre Plus though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
*psh*. It's a tough choice, really. I'd go with the Eris. Seriously, though, with all of the apps on my phone, here is what I really use a lot:

- gmail
- twitter/facebook (hardly facebook, though)
- browsing/searching
- messaging
- Lastpass, for looking up online passwords, plus connecting to sites that I have stored in the database
- weather (obviously, something that could be done with the browser)
- Evernote
- Kindle app (just for those times when I am waiting for something and want to fill some time - waiting for my son to be done with soccer practice, say.)
- I should note that I just did navigation for the second time today, the first time using it to go when I wasn't sure of the directions already. It's fantastic, though the phone doesn't like it much - the temp was up to 49 C by the time I was done.

I have a ton of other apps; I hardly ever run them. Looking at all of these, only the Kindle app is missing for Web OS.

I'd say that if I needed the keyboard, and was used to the Pre+, then obviously I'd have a tough time moving to the Eris. However, if there is an app for Android that absolutely crave, then obviously moving to the Eris would be smart. Also, a rooted Eris running one of the Froyo ROMs is a pretty fast device, and, these days, rooting an Eris is not that difficult to manage, even if it is stock, and moving to another ROM is not rocket science, too.

It's a tough choice, that's for sure. I'd go with the Eris, but, you see, you could say that when I bought the Eris, I had already made that choice anyway. You may want to wait a bit, though; I thought that I read that an update to WebOS is coming very soon.

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually just rooted my girlfriends Eris and put KaosFroyo on it. I'd definitely take a Eris with Froyo on it over the Pre Plus.

It's so much snappier now.

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the Eris, it doesn't really matter what it's running as it's extremely easy to flash to another ROM it takes all of about five minutes. I'd just make sure that it's running Froyo as that's what increased the speed I believe. I looked and I don't think that xtrSENSE is running Froyo but I could be wrong.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the Eris, it doesn't really matter what it's running as it's extremely easy to flash to another ROM it takes all of about five minutes. I'd just make sure that it's running Froyo as that's what increased the speed I believe. I looked and I don't think that xtrSENSE is running Froyo but I could be wrong.

xtrSENSE is 2.1. But, you are right; flashing one of the froyo ROMs is not that difficult. Some are more difficult than others, but they are all pretty simple to get set up.

One thing I'm curious is does the Eris have threaded SMS and MMS? That's one thing I love about the Pre

Well, they have separate conversations for each of the contacts with whom you have sent and received messages, but the messages themselves are not threaded using stock messaging. Or said another way, all of my messages and their replies with my daughter are together, but they are all sorted by arrival - they are not sorted by thread of conversation, if we were going back and forth over two different issues over time.

If that's what you mean by threaded conversation, yes, it's there on Android. There are third-party messaging apps (i.e., Handcent) which are a bit more powerful and (arguably) more attractive than stock messaging.

RadRacer513

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much, I want it similar to an iphone, where everything sent/receive (even MMS) is sorted by contact, then strung together by time. I previously had an enV2, and hated going from one text to another, then have to back out and go check a different folder just to kepe track of one convo

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
If that's what you want you won't be disappointed. Android also has several other sms mms options, personally I use handcent on my droid 2 but my girlfriend uses the default on her eris and it works great.