android.process.acore stopped unexpectedly

ma-diva

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok.followed steps & got a white screen with clearstorage highlightef in purple.
Below that is clear user data. Action yes.
Can't select anything... what now?

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok.followed steps & got a white screen with clearstorage highlightef in purple.
Below that is clear user data. Action yes.
Can't select anything... what now?

Remove battery and reinsert it back..........IF it still refuses then you are at that time for a new replacement..........ouch.

Last edited:

ma-diva

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
ok... well here's my follow up...

Was not all so easy. Evidently when the hard reset happened, it also erased the 26 digit authentication code. Ended up spending 45 minutes at Verizon anyway to put that back in and get the phone portions up and running again...

Ahh new technology.... know I know why some folks wait for second generation gadgets...

Thanks for the help tho'

jewdyth

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
My Solution

Yes I found that by remembering what apps I downloaded previous to the problem that when I started deleting one by one by turning phone on and off. If it still didn't work that meant the bad app was still there and causing the problem. Problem was resolved. It seems there are a few bad apps out there and I love my Eris. Awesome phone....some apps are bad...BUYER BEWARE.

jewdyth

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Spoke too soon...appears ERIS has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Wish I knew what the problem is?

shadyvito

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I went through my mind thinking of any changes and one that stuck out was putting a widget on my home screen. It was for Taskiller. I erased it and I'm all good now.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
hey guys, I had similar issues on reboot. Processes failing, no signal, no ability to turn on the phone since it would crash, no ability to get into market place. But you do have the ability to remove apps via the Setting options.

I went through 2 new phones and various combination's of apps thinking it was a particular app causing the issue.

A hard reset works(then proper activation again), only because your wiping out all your apps, but if you reinstall all your apps again the issue comes back because your filling up the memory to its threshold.

What I figured out was there is a memory issue, after hitting a certain threshold of installed apps, the phone will no longer boot or work properly. If you get this error, uninstall a few apps and reboot. That worked for me.

This threshold is memory based (total memory used of installed apps and stuff on the RAM, i'm not referring to the SD card). This threshold is not based on total number of apps, but the space they take up once installed. (ie having 5 apps, or 150 apps doesn't make the difference. But if your 5 apps take up 200MB then you have an issue. If your 150 apps only take up 100MB your ok. )

details:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-droid-eris/5326-reboot-eris-stops-working-dare.html#post29054

Last edited:

snavaro

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the above poster.
I have had the same problem with 2 different Eris phones on Verizon. The solution really has nothing to do with rogue apps, but with the bootloader on Android. If you have less than 60-70mb available in ROM memory at startup, the bootloader will fail to properly load the acore, gaaps, phone and other essential apps. As a result, you will get multiple force close messages, no service, and a total inability to access the phone or Internet. To check available memory , go to Settings from the Home Screen and check SD card settings. It will give the available ROM. If it is less than 60-70mb, then you may have problems re-starting the phone once it is completely turned off.
I have found 2 solutions. The most drastic is to do a factory reset (settings:Security), which we wipe out all existing Programs and reset all values to default. Because there are no outside programs taking up ROM space, the system boots normally. Just make sure to back up all your programs prior to doing a factory reset.
The 2nd solution is to start uninstalling programs until 60-70mb is freed up on the Rom chip. If the phone does not automatically detect service at around 60mb, try turning off the phone, then turning it back on. Once service is found, you can restore your programs that you backed up and had uninstalled. Nice part about the 2nd option is that any custom scene info is saved, and far fewer programs need to be re-installed.
Just a note: Until Verizon and HTC fix this issue, do NOT turn your phone off, or you will need to repeat this process.

rmer

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay, after three resets and two phones this is getting annoying. Please tell me that HTC and/or Verizon is working on this.

In my case I can confirm that it started after my phone completely shutoff. Once after the OTA update, and twice after the battery went dead.

jdog94#AC

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
so is that SD card space or internal phone storage??

I agree with the above poster.
I have had the same problem with 2 different Eris phones on Verizon. The solution really has nothing to do with rogue apps, but with the bootloader on Android. If you have less than 60-70mb available in ROM memory at startup, the bootloader will fail to properly load the acore, gaaps, phone and other essential apps. As a result, you will get multiple force close messages, no service, and a total inability to access the phone or Internet. To check available memory , go to Settings from the Home Screen and check SD card settings. It will give the available ROM. If it is less than 60-70mb, then you may have problems re-starting the phone once it is completely turned off.
I have found 2 solutions. The most drastic is to do a factory reset (settings:Security), which we wipe out all existing Programs and reset all values to default. Because there are no outside programs taking up ROM space, the system boots normally. Just make sure to back up all your programs prior to doing a factory reset.
The 2nd solution is to start uninstalling programs until 60-70mb is freed up on the Rom chip. If the phone does not automatically detect service at around 60mb, try turning off the phone, then turning it back on. Once service is found, you can restore your programs that you backed up and had uninstalled. Nice part about the 2nd option is that any custom scene info is saved, and far fewer programs need to be re-installed.
Just a note: Until Verizon and HTC fix this issue, do NOT turn your phone off, or you will need to repeat this process.

DROID_Eris_JP

Dec 26, 2009
www.twitter.com
There have been more issues like this since the most recent OTA update came out. The core applications had been force closing at boot and many people (myself included) have had to perform factory resets. I have heard of this issue in many different fashions, some worse than others (like me), and others who can deal with it without having to FR. The last update - was to fix a small bug when you unlock the phone - yet caused problems after update/restart. HTC Droid Eris gets an ultra-minor update -- Engadget

Ryobi

Banned
Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm certainly no expert with android but I'd like to offer up an educated opinion on what I'm seeing with sense and where some of the problems may lie. Don't beat me up. It's just my opinion and I may be way off base here.

I believe there is a memory leak using sense. For the first month and a half I ran the phone using sense. I would constantly see a drop in available memory. Using a task killer only regained a small portion of that memory. Eventually that memory would drop into the 50-60MB range. Only a restart would bring the memory back up. I would say if I remember correctly the 80-90MB range.

When I ran the phone with sense w/o a task killer the available memory would go down as low as 20-25MB. I never had an force closing of any app or process, but the phone was like a slug.

From that point on I have disabled sense. Now I know from what I've read that even when you clear defaults on sense and use home as default, sense lays around in the background. But I'm not sure thats the case. I believe it only does that when the phone is rebooted. I've checked a number of times (applications->manage applications) and the it seems that may be the case. The force close button on sense is unavailable, i.e., not able to click it.

I've been running the eris without sense the past few weeks. I have no task killer installed. I have over 20 apps installed. My available memory is always and I mean always in the 115-117MB range. The phone runs like a charm. It's as fast as it's gonna get. I have no problems with any app or process force closing. The only thing I do is a reboot every 2nd day. I use the back button on all apps.

The only thing you miss from using the phone without sense is the HTC widgets. I really like the way the phone operates and functions right now. There is almost always no lag on the phone. It may stutter at times but I've seen that on the Droid too.

I see the one thing people complain about is when ending a call and the lag. I don't have that. I also have installed not call log. It takes me back to the home screen when ending a call.

Until HTC gets this sorted out, if they ever do, I am staying without sense.

I know some of you may say whats the point, isn't that why you bought the HTC in the first place, sense? Um, no. It's eye candy, not something I need to have a functioning phone. Plus, there is enough on the market to satisfy me.

Oh and do yourself a favor. Stop using the HTC flip clock with weather. It's useless. It never updates. Instead, weather widget donate. Absolutely fantastic. And you can skin it to your liking.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
My Eris has been behaving well since the 1.17.605.1 update. Prior to that I had one hard reset and many spontaneous reboots. The hard reset was necessary due to the described condition of booting up and getting .acore forced closes. The spontaneous reboots were evidently triggered by some task killer shenanigans.

I no longer use a task killer and the phone works consistent and fast. So far so good in the recent weeks, and I was seriously ready to ditch the platform.

Daltdaddy

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Well...I'm having the same exact issue, which started last night...although I'm not making any progress, even after uninstalling all the apps and rebooting. I haven't done a hard reset yet and I'm going to Vetizon today...so we'll see!!!

Tammy#AC

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
yes!! the 1st time i had to factory reset & lost EVERYTHING!!! 2nd time i just deleted a bunch of recently added apps...cross my fingers!!!! so far so good!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair