Update coming sooner?!

jemproperty

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I know I am new to this forum, just got my Eris. I was on the phone with HTC today asking a few technical questions and I asked if there was an update coming soon... I was informed not once but twice that there is an OTA coming tomorrow- as in 12/4/09. Take it for what its worth, but he would not elaborate on the details of the update.. hope it happens. Just thought I would share the info...

weihl165

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
It wont be 2.0. I am assuming since it is coming before the 11th update it will prolly be covering some of the battery issues. Fixing the awake time and what not. I will be wathcing my phone for somthing to come through

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
It wont be 2.0. I am assuming since it is coming before the 11th update it will prolly be covering some of the battery issues. Fixing the awake time and what not. I will be wathcing my phone for somthing to come through

Agreed, people should not expect 2.0.

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
What about 1.6 or did HTC have plans to skip to go straight to 2.0(2.1)? I just want an update that is a little more than a bug fix, even though that is still pretty good(ideas a 1.6 that includes a bug fix atm since 2.0 and sense seem a bit premature).

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing (keyword guessing) that the update for the Eris will be much like the update for the Sprint Hero. A quick patch to fix a few glaring bugs, but not a new code base. This makes the most sense, as whether we like it or not, Vzw/Moto's responsibility is to get the device stable with it's current features.

Let HTC finish their work on 2.x in house and it's a good possibility we all will get a much more stable and working version of Sense 2 in the near future.

The one thing about the whole situation that does bother me -
Google Maps (a highly publicized feature of all 3 CDMA HTC phones) is no longer supported by the developer on a phone that's only a month old. HTC owes us all some patch to make Google Maps updates available on a 1.5 system, or Android needs to revise their position and continue to maintain the 1.5 and lower versions.

But like Dad always said - It's good to want things.

jemproperty

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
htc Droid Eris is getting an update to a newer version of Android early next year. Google Navigation support is coming your way ;)
27 minutes ago from CoTweet

I dont know if you all follow HTC on Twitter, but this is right from them!!! WOOHOO...

Last edited:

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
So, I spoke to a tech and they said there will be two updates in the upcoming months. One is scheduled for the 11 of this month(same day for a Droid update) and one is for the 22nd of January. He cold not really see what was planned for the 22nd update but he said the update on the 11th will see a few bug fixes. The few mentioned were the clock and weather widget taking up more battery that suppose to, something relating to google sync, a browser related on and a settings related one. Not sure how really accurate this is, but it sounds positive.
Maybe others can call vzw tech support and ask around

jemproperty

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Coldmack... HTC and Verizon stated that in early quarter of 2010 we are getting either 2.0 or 2.1 with navigation! I guess my guy at HTC was incorrect about the update for yesterday... sorry if I got anyones hopes up... :-(

anti_gravity99

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
HTC posted on their Twitter page today that the Eris is getting an update. I call Verizon and they confirmed this and the Rep also said that it will be Andriod 2.0...

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
VZW rep told me that update in January if it is 2.0 would be a newer build/version of 2.0 or something like that. At least that what he is hearing around the office.

orangepeel#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Coldmack... HTC and Verizon stated that in early quarter of 2010 we are getting either 2.0 or 2.1 with navigation! I guess my guy at HTC was incorrect about the update for yesterday... sorry if I got anyones hopes up... :-(

You know I saw your post and kept waiting for you to get ripped for it,but you never did....that tells me this forum is above childish attacks like that.

The reason I say that is if you did that on a certain BlackBerry forum there would be pages of people just ripping you a knew one post after post....it's really pathetic to watch. It seems the crowd here is more mature,and I'm not talking about age,but mind.

I like hearing what people hear from others,even if it doesn't come to fruition.

Last edited:

jemproperty

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I myself was tentative to write what I heard because I belonged to that same forum. Glad I did not get ripped apart for it! I guess a thank you is in order to everyone on this board!!!

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
So, I spoke to a tech and they said there will be two updates in the upcoming months. One is scheduled for the 11 of this month(same day for a Droid update) and one is for the 22nd of January. He cold not really see what was planned for the 22nd update but he said the update on the 11th will see a few bug fixes. The few mentioned were the clock and weather widget taking up more battery that suppose to, something relating to google sync, a browser related on and a settings related one. Not sure how really accurate this is, but it sounds positive.
I spoke to another rep that said similar things. Except he did say that the update coming on the 11th will add Google Nav support according to the docs, but it won't be a 2.0 update. That also comes with a better/faster GPS connection. He also said the update will fix the 3G issue many users are facing where it won't properly lock on to 3G, which would equal better 3G connection and reception

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious, is there any way to check to see what version one's phone is running? I know it's no big deal now, but when it comes time for the upgrade, whenever that will be, it'd be nice to verify. Anyone know if we'll get a message saying we've been upgraded or if there's a way to check the OS version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool