How to tether Verizon Droid Eris to Mac via bluetooth or USB

anti_gravity99

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Hello Apple Users:

I am looking at upgrading my phone and want to get the Droid Eris. The bad part it that tethering my phone to my Macbook is the only form of internet that I have due to living in the middle of nowhere with no DSL or Cable availability. I want to be able to tether the Eris to my Macbook via USB to take full advantage of EVDO Rev A 3G speeds but will settle for bluetooth
tethering at the moment.

Also, I am aware that I will be able to tether it to a Mac using PdaNet once the Eris gets upgraded to Android 2.0 and I can't go a 30 - 90 days without internet waiting on HTC to port the Sense UI over to Adroid 2.0.

Does anyone know if the Eris rooting process is coming along? I know once it has been rooted that USB tethering and turning it into a WiFi hot spot (ad-hoc) will be a possibility and ad-hoc would be incredible because I wouldn't have to worry about compatibility on a mac or my version of OS X.

Any help will be appreciated!:confused:

Update:
I emailed JuneFabrics.com, the company that makes PdaNet, to see if and when they will support tethering to the eris and mac via usb and I just got a reply today. They said they will release the Mac version in 2 weeks!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

hastetheday2k6

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
what will be coming out in two weeks? an update for mac or an update for eris? im asking because i just got my girlfriend an eris and im sitting here trying to figure out how to put music on her phone with no luck!

geeanywhere

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
what will be coming out in two weeks? an update for mac or an update for eris? im asking because i just got my girlfriend an eris and im sitting here trying to figure out how to put music on her phone with no luck!

my best tip is download, doubletwist. it is like Itunes and it worked out for me. good luck.

travisrew

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Is it working?

Did you end up successfully tethering with your mac and eris? I have the same issue here... it's going to be a deal breaker if I buy the phone or not. I need to be able to tether... and did you use PDAnet?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Proxoid v1.0.5 Application for Android | Communication

chart

Download and install to your phone.
Download and install the Android SDK for Mac

Start proxoid on your phone, set port to 8080

From the terminal on your mac,
Code:
adb forward tcp:8080 tcp:8080

Set Safari (or whatever browser) to run via proxy on port 8080.

Enjoy web surfing via your phones 3g. Prepare for quite a large bill if you get caught.

travisrew

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
A few questions

Proxoid v1.0.5 Application for Android | Communication

chart

Download and install to your phone.
Download and install the Android SDK for Mac

Start proxoid on your phone, set port to 8080

From the terminal on your mac,
Code:
adb forward tcp:8080 tcp:8080

Set Safari (or whatever browser) to run via proxy on port 8080.

Enjoy web surfing via your phones 3g. Prepare for quite a large bill if you get caught.

So, I'm new to figuring this stuff out... on the terminal, do i just paste that in and i'm good? Then i was looking on safari preferences, and i have no clue how to set it to run via proxy... sorry if the question seems dumb... thanks for the help!

buckeyebob

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
will this work with ipad and xoom as well? Does this just use your phone data plan so you dont need to subscribe to Verizon tether plan?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12