Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Who has gone from Droid to Eris? Any regreats?

    So I am in love with the android OS, but not so much the droid device. I dont use the physical keyboard and I dont really care for the chin on the droid. So that leaves me thinking about the eris again. The lack of physical keyboard is a big + for me, and the fact that we all know the 2.0 (or 2.1...maybe)

    Going down to 1.5 what will I notice different? I know the processor is a bit slower, and the resolution is less. I dont really play games and I dont really watch you tube. But what will I notice between 1.5 and 2.0? Just playing with the eris a little bit at the store the general layout of 1.5 is similar and seems to work about the same.

    Major apps that i use are bloo, handcent, panda home, a few games....nothing special and all free apps.

    Any advice or comments are welcome.
  2. #2  
    Sooks's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

    Default

    I would go with the droid honestly , i went from droid to eris then back to the droid and the droid is much faster , stronger phone , not as pretty lol , but man it rocks , and the zero lag is worth the little sexy uglyness lol ... go droid ... you wont regret it
  3. #3  

    Default

    Its all what you value. I'm a big fan of the Sense UI. I think that the vanilla Android is lacking a bit.

    The processor being slower is a big drawback of the Eris. To be honest though I think the Eris rocks. It does everything I need and it does it well.

    No one can really make the choice for you, but with 2.1 coming next month, it will be even better.
  4. #4  

    Default

    I think the Hero/Eris is plenty fast, it's 1.5 that's the bottleneck. I expect to see huge speed improvements once 2.1 is released.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    When you say 1.5 is the bottleneck, what do you mean? 1.5 just cant process a request? Home screens load slower? apps open slower??

    I might end up going back to my BB S1 for now, untill the next device comes out with 2.0 and no physical keyboard. Not my first choice of things to do but I cant say I am 100% happy with the droid
  6. #6  

    Default

    Lagg is only an issue depending on how many apps you have open (leave open). my wife has the BB World Edition, Eris is just as fast and even faster loading things up assuming I dont have 20 apps running already. If I've only got 1-4 apps running the Eris processes things equal to my wifes BB. She's making the switch on monday so we'll both be Eris users, she'll be saying good by to her crackberry days.

    Like any computer (thats what smartphones basically are), the more things you have running the slower the overall operation. If you stay aware of what you have running the Eris shouldn't be an issue, and the battery life will be improved greatly. you have 30 days to return a device you get on Verizon (store or online).

    Why not just jump and see if you like it before 30 days. IF not, just return it and go back to the moto droid. My wife does that all the time when she debates getting new phones.

    I use both handcent, pandora and they work just fine.
    Last edited by IzelTokatl; 12-18-2009 at 10:16 AM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Izel, good points. I have about 15 days left of my 30 so I might give it another week and exchange it after xmas. I dont run a ton of apps, I have 23 installed and a few of them i could dump as i just dont use them, like 2 bar code scanners as I wanted to try different one.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IzelTokatl View Post
    Lagg is only an issue depending on how many apps you have open (leave open). my wife has the BB World Edition, Eris is just as fast and even faster loading things up assuming I dont have 20 apps running already. If I've only got 1-4 apps running the Eris processes things equal to my wifes BB. She's making the switch on monday so we'll both be Eris users, she'll be saying good by to her crackberry days.

    Like any computer (thats what smartphones basically are), the more things you have running the slower the overall operation. If you stay aware of what you have running the Eris shouldn't be an issue, and the battery life will be improved greatly. you have 30 days to return a device you get on Verizon (store or online).

    Why not just jump and see if you like it before 30 days. IF not, just return it and go back to the moto droid. My wife does that all the time when she debates getting new phones.

    I use both handcent, pandora and they work just fine.
    Even if you have 20 apps loaded on your phone and tried to run them all simultaneously, Android will only actually run the last 5 or so. It will suspend the others, then if you switch to one of the suspended apps, it will resume that and suspend the oldest of the 5 running apps and so forth. It is very efficient at memory/resource management.
    a little obsessive...
  9. #9  

    Default Answer to your thread

    I went back and forth in the Verizon store between the Eris and the Motorola. I really thought that keyboard on the Motorola was useless so, I was leaning toward the Eris. Now having used the Motorola for about a month and using my wifes Eris, I do not like the Eris although, the screen layout I think looks nice. However, now that i have installed the GDE home, I never looked back.

    She loves her Eris, we were both former BB Storm owners, but, I now believe I made a better choice by getting the Motorola. Google 2.0 OS seems to do so much more than the Eris and now that I have the Extended Battery from Best Buy that recharges my battery while I am using it, the battery's short life is a non-issue.
  10. #10  

    Default

    It's all about personal preference. Coming from an iPhone I wanted all touchscreen. I also preferred the slim size of the eris. Android is so great. You can't go wrong with either one.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Even if you have 20 apps loaded on your phone and tried to run them all simultaneously, Android will only actually run the last 5 or so. It will suspend the others, then if you switch to one of the suspended apps, it will resume that and suspend the oldest of the 5 running apps and so forth. It is very efficient at memory/resource management.
    I'd be interested in where you got that information from. I'm not trying to start a fight, but that doesn't jibe with how the phone actually acts. There are clearly more than 5 active processes running on my phone fairly often. Like any computer, there's only so much RAM to share amongst the running applications, and maybe that's what you meant, but I'd be interested in where the 5 idea came from, as it just doesn't make sense.
  12. #12  
    johncihak's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

    Default

    I have both the Moto Droid and Eris. As I posted on this forum, the Eris is much more buggy and unstable. Unless you must have a smaller device, I find the Moto Droid better in every way.
  13. #13  
    jsbayer's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

    Default

    i have 2 questions on this topic,

    1 how is battery life on eris
    2 will the eris get 2.1 os?

    I am an ex vzw rep as of july, ive used bb for 5 years now. I really like the style of eris, and the all touch screen, and of course the sense ui. but not digging the os. i have 20 days left on my droid to trade to eris, but only will do so if its gonna get 2.1. and will the 2.1 make the phone faster? or is the processor just doomed forever?
  14. #14  
    johncihak's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

    Default

    Battery life is not as bad as I thought - almost a full day for my daughter who is a heavy user. It reboots much faster than the newer BBs, so battery swapping is not as bad as on a BB. The back cover is a cheap snap-on so it may wear out if you swap batteries several times/day.

    I talked with VZW tech support yesterday about updates. They said it will be updated to 2.0 or 2.1 in January.

    In my opinion, the Moto Droid is the faster multitasking phone by far, but I would not consider the Eris slow. I think its faster than any WinMo phone and much faster than the Storm 1 I had.
  15. #15  
    jsbayer's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

    Default

    Ok, anyone else have opinion or insight on this matter?
    c.hack, i appreciate your feedback
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Even if you have 20 apps loaded on your phone and tried to run them all simultaneously, Android will only actually run the last 5 or so. It will suspend the others, then if you switch to one of the suspended apps, it will resume that and suspend the oldest of the 5 running apps and so forth. It is very efficient at memory/resource management.
    Quote Originally Posted by graymulligan View Post
    I'd be interested in where you got that information from. I'm not trying to start a fight, but that doesn't jibe with how the phone actually acts. There are clearly more than 5 active processes running on my phone fairly often. Like any computer, there's only so much RAM to share amongst the running applications, and maybe that's what you meant, but I'd be interested in where the 5 idea came from, as it just doesn't make sense.
    No problem. Directly from android's official site:



    Watch the androidology (2 of 3) video under platform architecture. Try not to doze off.

    So, even though there appears to be a lot of "running" apps in your task list, they are in suspended states, ready to be called up by the Android OS periodically when they are needed.
    a little obsessive...
  17. #17  
    hakoreh's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

    Default

    is there a thread somewhere or a guide on how to strip the eris down so that it goes as fast as it can? i know you can't remove the stock apps last i heard, but is there anything else?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGS3)
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    HTC Droid Incredible
    HTC Droid Eris
  18. #18  

    Default

    As long as you turn 3G off when you are not using it, battery will be great. On my Eris, I can get through a whole day on a full charge - no problem. And as for 2.1 on the Eris, yes it will. Should be coming within the next few weeks I expect. Will probably also be rooted before or shortly after the update. And the 2.1 update will make the Eris MUCH faster than it is now, and much less buggy. When it comes down to choosing between the Droid and the Eris, in my opinion the only difference is the shape, and the Droid is overrated when compared to the speed of the Eris. I would definitely not say the Droid is a much faster phone. I have tested both phones and the only difference I noticed was the fact that the Droid will download apps quicker, and it is differently shaped. In every other aspect they are the same.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfarinhight View Post
    As long as you turn 3G off when you are not using it, battery will be great. On my Eris, I can get through a whole day on a full charge - no problem. And as for 2.1 on the Eris, yes it will. Should be coming within the next few weeks I expect. Will probably also be rooted before or shortly after the update. And the 2.1 update will make the Eris MUCH faster than it is now, and much less buggy. When it comes down to choosing between the Droid and the Eris, in my opinion the only difference is the shape, and the Droid is overrated when compared to the speed of the Eris. I would definitely not say the Droid is a much faster phone. I have tested both phones and the only difference I noticed was the fact that the Droid will download apps quicker, and it is differently shaped. In every other aspect they are the same.
    Not trying to start a war, but I totally beg to differ. I stepped in to the VZ store a couple of weeks ago and toyed around with the MotoDroid and man was it snappy. Click, and bamb... it was right there. There was zero lag in what ever I tried to do. Perhaps it goes back to what you said about what the update may bring in terms of correcting bugginess, but keep in mind that there is a huge processor difference between the 2.
  20. #20  

    Default

    I did the same thing except the Droids (Yes, I tested out multiple ones to be sure) I tested were lagging here and there, and the UI was not smooth at all. I don't know much about the hardware in the 2, but last I recall, the numbers between the 2 processors weren't really that different. I think when you say snappy, and I agree with this to a lesser extent, you mean when you click something on it it doesn't hesitate. This is true, but this is because it is running 2.0. The Droid will download things quicker, and open up apps quicker etc. due to 2.0 and a slightly better processor. But the Eris is much smoother for example when scrolling through home screens. Web browsing is the same on both. I think I like the Eris so much more, and not the Droid because the Eris has such a better UI.
  21. #21  

    Default

    @mrfarinhight: Point taken

    On another note, it will be interesting to see if we can overclock the Eris, once rooted. I think the MotoDroid processor has been overclocked to about 1ghz, or so... hmmm???
  22. #22  

    Default

    Yeah same here, wasn't trying to start anything, just stating my opinion
  23. #23  
    rrife's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

    Default

    I switch from Droid to Eris and haven't missed much from the Droid. Some apps where a little faster, but not enough so that I would care a whole lot.
  24. #24  
    rw6497's Avatar

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

    Default

    I have eris and my girl has droid, and yes there is definite speed difference. but I believe that speed difference is due to like most people that posted here, is os. 1.5 definitely doesn't handle sense well so thus the lag. I don't think its a CPU problem but a def os problem. With 2.1 right around the corner for eris,this lagginess should go away. I had bb storm1,and it was awful at release with lots of lag. With latest os upgrade ,storm ran like a champ with zero lag . I believe storm and eris have similar processors if I'm not mistaken. Keyboard on HTC is also much better. Also HTC sense is a far more polished looking os than Droids stock. Ide wait and see with update that eris is about to get, how well eris will run . (hopefully)....
  25. #25  
    that1bb's Avatar

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

    Default

    Wow, I am glad I found this thread. I am in the same boat. I have a Droid, but the form factor and dedicated phone and end buttons are very compelling features of the Eris, however the Droid just smokes anything I throw at it, and I'm hesitant to make the switch. Sense is not a factor for me, as I am quite happy with my stock three home screens. The keyboard is also not an issue, as I rarely use it. I can type much faster on the screen. So I too am lost. I do love my Droid. Cheers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B