Problems with voice dialer?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Anybody else having problems with the stock voice dialer? More often than not, mine doesn't work. It simply acts as though I haven't said a thing even though I can tell that it's "hearing" me. Every so often it does respond - just enough to give me reason to keep trying. Reminds me of my ex-wife. I'd like to keep my phone though!

DFXmobile

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Improving recognition results

o2bnclemson,

We make an app for Android 2.0 that uses the same built-in speech recognition engine (srec) that is used by the built-in Voice Dialer. Although our app does not yet work on your Eris, some of the tricks we learned to improve recognition may help. They are listed as part of our troubleshooting guide.

One other issue that may or may not apply: After about 1300 contacts, the built-in VD app silently stops adding to its grammar file. This means that contacts are randomly ignored. If your Contacts settings is set to show only contacts with phone numbers and the count shown at the top of your contacts list is over 1300, this is likely an issue for you.

Regards,

DFXmobile

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Anybody else having problems with the stock voice dialer? More often than not, mine doesn't work. It simply acts as though I haven't said a thing even though I can tell that it's "hearing" me. Every so often it does respond - just enough to give me reason to keep trying. Reminds me of my ex-wife. I'd like to keep my phone though!

I have the same problem. any fix?

morrie#AC

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Terrible software. Works sometimes, but only at about 70% accuracy. Other times, it doesn't work at all.
This software is a matter of life and death to millions of people who drive and talk (which in CA is illegal without hands-free). Guess will still be distractedly poking our (not as accurate as buttons) touch-screens until we get in a crash and die.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Terrible software. Works sometimes, but only at about 70% accuracy. Other times, it doesn't work at all.
This software is a matter of life and death to millions of people who drive and talk (which in CA is illegal without hands-free). Guess will still be distractedly poking our (not as accurate as buttons) touch-screens until we get in a crash and die.

My voice dialer, more often than not, simply doesn't work. It's as though it never heard what I said. The voice activation in my Google Maps, however, works pretty well. There are the usual and expected issues with variations in spelling and such, but all in all, it works well about 90% of the time I'd say. Just struck me as odd that the Voice Dialer simply doesn't even recognize that I'm speaking.

mc48

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
maybe it's your southern accent.

but just kidding, it it clearly hit and miss for me as well....and slow. It seems to work better for Google search than anything else. There's one game where you play against other android users called "What the Doodles!?" where you try to beat the other players to guessing the doodle. I suck at it mainly because everyone else can use the voice dialer to enter their guesses but it hardly ever recognizes what I said and enters something completely different and I end up having to type it in. I think it really was something that was overlooked in 1.5 and hopefully 2.0 will allow us to use the speech recognition software DFX references.

energizer1389

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
when it works, it gives u a set of options that u need to select from the screen. What's the point? Even when there's only one option u still have to look at screen, verify what its doing and select by touching the screen. On other phones (Blackberries) when u voice dial the phone reads out the options one by one and u answer yes/no or cancel. This way u dont ever have to look or touch the phone which is the main point for voice dialing. I think this is the weakest point of our beloved Heros/Eris.

I did noticed that when u say all your words or name/last name together(no pause between words) it responds way better. Still have to look and touch the screen to select what ever it thinks you are asking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed