Bookmarks Widget

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this belongs in the Apps forum but...

I switched to the Dolphin Browser and I love it. The only problem is the "Bookmarks" widget that came installed on the phone, which I love, is connected to the native browers. So when I bookmark sites on Dolphin, they do no show up on the bookmarks widget.

Any idea how to sinc the widget so that it connects with my bookmarks from dolphin?

I appreciate the help.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The developer of Dolphin browser would need to use the default browsers bookmarks file instead of his/her own database. Android's is located in /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db

You can look at and modify these yourself as well from the shell
Code:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db "SELECT * FROM bookmarks;"

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
do you need root access to change this? or just a tweak in the Dolphin code itself, I assume? Do you open the apk file using the latest android SDK??

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The developer of the Dolphin browser would have to make the code changes. They are (understandably, I would do the same) using their own database to store bookmarks. HTC has written their browser as an OEM replacement of the Android browser, so they use the same database locations as stock.

The /data directory is read/write, so root access shouldn't be needed to modify the browser database. To modify/peek at it by hand on the phone, you will need to be sure that you have sqlite3 (or an equivalent sql database explorer) and run the command as above from a terminal. You could also pull the /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db file from the phone, edit it on a PC and push it back. I mostly gave the example showing how a command could be coded into the Dolphin browser to let the user add Dolphin bookmark entries into the standard browser's database with a click.

The Dolphin app is a very complicated and well coded application, so I imagine the developers would already know how this could be done. Chances are they either have a reason they don't want the bookmarks combined, haven't had the time to implement something like this, or have never thought of it. I'd suggest you drop them a line and request the feature, and if they like the idea or get enough requests maybe they can do something.

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
^ correct. The widget works for the bookmarks already assigned to it and opens them in Dolphin, the problem is with bookmarking pages in Dolphin...they do not show up in the widget. I still use the widget because some of the pages that were assigned to it I use, I just wish I could assign more.

Thanks for the responses

DaveDD67

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I just found this forum and am hoping to get some help understanding my new Android tablet. I'm a grandpa type who got the tablet for Xmas. I'm pretty good with PC's, but the whole tablet/smartphone thing is a real mystery so far.

Mine is a ZTO tablet with Android 4.0.4. Right now, I'm trying to edit the Bookmarks that came on the tablet to drop some of them and add some others. I can't find any way to do that, however. Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction. For what it's worth, I've always been a big fan of RTFM. Much of what I learned about PC's came from just reading the manuals and playing with the machines. The "documentation" that came with my tablet is considerably less than useful, however.

If you folks can tolerate a real rookie, I'm sure that I'll have more questions in the future.

Thanks