1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car charger

When I bought my Eris, Verizon wanted $30 for a car charger and since we were buying two phones this seemed a bit steep. I have been looking at aftermarket car chargers and noticed that they keep saying mini USB for the Eris. Several of the pictures of the chargers that i have seen, such as this one clearly show a mini usb connector, which is NOT what is on the phone. I could get a USB charger and use the cord that came with the home charger, but it would get really old haveing to move the cord back and forth.

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the one sold by Verizon that has the correct plug on it?

There are quite a few aftermarket options for car and wall chargers. Check Boxwave.com (as well as Amazon). You don't have to pay anything like $30 for a car charger. You can probably pick up something at Walmart or Target as well.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The cheapest one there is $25. Most of the chargers on Amazon say mini USB but also say compatible with the Eris which seems highly unlikely.

Anybody know if the Moto Droid uses the same jack? Hard to tell from the pics I can find, and no VZ store nearby to go and check.

Hmmm, maybe some of the other HTC phones, going to have to check.

The jack on the Eris does not look like a mini usb but I can guarantee that a mini usb will work, providing the voltage specs are met as well. The Moto Droid uses micro usb and not mini.

The Eris definitely uses standard mini-USB port. been using my standard mini-usb cab les at work and in the car for over a month now with no issues. If you go to any verizon store, and look at whats charging them in the store... its mini-usb. They are just trying to make an extra $20-30 off of you by selling you custom mini-usb cables... but verizon themselves is saving money and using standard min-usb.. lol

I actually have a dual USB port car charger i got years ago for another device. I think I paid $5 and its lasted years.

Here are some examples of what would work fine with your current mini usb to USB cables you already may have:

Dual USB Port:
    Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Electronics
    Amazon.com: 2 Port USB Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Dual Plug for iPod MP3 Players Charger - Color White: Electronics
    Amazon.com: Powerjolt Dual Universal 2 USB Blk Car Charger: Electronics

Single USB Port:
    Amazon.com: P002 : Universal USB Car Charger Adapter: Electronics
    Amazon.com: Kensington Mini Car Charger for Mobile Devices with USB Port: Electronics
    Amazon.com: GE 97574 USB Car Charger for Devices with USB Charging Ports (White): Electronics

I have the white one, works just fine.

you can always use if you find something and want to find the cheapest comparable.

here is all of what Amazon has:
    Amazon.com: car charger usb
    Last edited by IzelTokatl; 01-21-2010 at 12:22 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for clearing that up. That answers my question and makes life a bit easier.

I bought mine at Best Buy with the standard jack and it works just fine.
    Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

just an fyi, I found a stock motorola droid car charger on amazon for $ 9.00 the other day.
    Droid---[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0, Nextheme, Bekit 800mhz kernel!
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance!

Quote Originally Posted by bertbear View Post
    When I bought my Eris, Verizon wanted $30 for a car charger and since we were buying two phones this seemed a bit steep. I have been looking at aftermarket car chargers and noticed that they keep saying mini USB for the Eris. Several of the pictures of the chargers that i have seen, such as this one clearly show a mini usb connector, which is NOT what is on the phone. I could get a USB charger and use the cord that came with the home charger, but it would get really old haveing to move the cord back and forth.

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the one sold by Verizon that has the correct plug on it?
    Try the i go charger from radio shack the tip will be about $10 the charger $12 you need the A97 tip