HTC Droid Eris: Voicemail notification icon won't go away

Gmaoimaui

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Voicemail notification icon won't go away

I just fixed this problem on my Virgin Mobile (Sprint) HTC EVO V 4G. I got the solution from another post but it is a temporary fix and after googling the problem, it seems this issue problem is across the board affects a variety of phone carriers and a variety of phone brands and models.

First - the TEMPORARY[/FONT] FIX FOR REMOVING VOICEMAIL (VOICE MAIL) NOTIFICATION DATA AND ICON FROM STATUS BAR:
1. GO to SYSTEM SETTINGS.
2. SELECT APPS.
3. SELECT ALL (APPS).
4. GO to and SELECT PHONE.
5. PRESS "CLEAR DATA" - the voicemail notification icon will disappear.

This is a TEMPORARY FIX and in isolating the causes - I came across three known causes:
1. The voicemail (voice mail) notification icon will RE-APPEAR in status bar after resetting your phone to factory settings, and
2. The voicemail (voice mail) notification icon will RE-APPEAR in status bar after SYSTEM UPDATES - UPDATE PROFILE.
3. Restarting phone also causes the pseudo voicemail notification icon to RE-APPEAR in status bar.

APP INFO:
Phone (version 3.5.2214292951.367891).

Last edited:

cowgirl66

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Just figured out you can tap and hold on the notification, it gives a pop up that says app info. Tap on it and then hit force stop.

I tried both the call settings - voice mail notification and the apps - all - phone - force stop methods and I don't have either of those options and this worked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

d14b0ll0s

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

^ This works only until next reboot.

What helped to solve it for me was chatting with a carrier rep. (T-Mobile in my case) and asking him to activate my voicemail, which I called then, set my PIN, and asked him to deactivate it again. No notification, even after a reboot. Of course if you actually use your voicemail, simply call it and leave a message or try having it deactivated and activated again instead! Whatever works better for you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Boy, I love how this old thread about a long-ago problem with the HTC Droid Eris continues to live on!

Fuzzballz

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Here's what just worked for me on my Tmobile Galaxy S3

1) Pull the battery
2) Wait a few minutes with the battery out (I waited 5 minutes)
3) Pull the SIM card
4) Replace battery and power up phone. Wait until phone is fully booted
5) Power down phone
6) Replace SIM card and power up

Thank you so much for this!! Upon upgrading from ICS 4.0 to Jelly Bean 4.1 (which I hate) on my Spectrum 2, the voicemail notification would not go away. This is what I did:

1) Pull battery, wait 10 seconds
2) Pull SIM card
3) Restart phone without SIM card
4) Go into Settings > Application Manager > All Apps > Phone
5) Push "Clear data," say ok to warning
6) Pull Battery, wait 10 seconds
7) Replace SIM card
8) Restart

This and only this seemed to fix it permanently.

Danny Cook

May 7, 2013
Visit site

I did a factory reset. i noticed the gvoice number and carrier number were the same. Once the reset was done i called the voicemail and there was a message "stuck in limbo". Once erased the notification was out. I have a LG nexus 4 on jellybean. I was using google voice and must have messed up some configuration.

nancyrundle76

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

Don't have that option on the Samsung Infuse 4G. Still can't get my voicemail icon to go away after trying several suggestions I've seen on here. Need help!

GVMnr

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

it closed by going to setting, then apps, voicemail, then uncheck and re-check it (if you want) . Once unchecked the icon goes away.:cool:

Angel Heart1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I tried this..went to apps clicked all, selected phone, clear data and my voicemail icon went away! thank you so much it was driving me crazy!!

pkjunction

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

It turned out that all I had to do was call AT&T and have them deactivate my voicemail account. Of course getting AT&T to understand that I wanted to deactivate not activate the account want quite as easy. As soon as they deactivated my voicemail account the icon went away. My Googlevoice account voicemail still works fine. My first clue that the AT&T voicemail account might be the cause of the problem was when I changed back to the carrier voicemail from Google voice and closed this setting in the Settings menu, I got the message "No Change", which clued me in that the problem may be because of AT&T.

Hope this helps someone

ChadiTheGreat

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Below is what worked permanently for me:

1- Clear Data for the Phone's application. Once cleared, the notification disappears.
2- Call your mobile number from another phone and leave a voicemail.
3- From your phone, call your voicemail to check the message. The notification should show up again.
4- Delete the voice message. The notification should disappear.
5- Restart your phone.

Hope this helps for some

nvb3

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I have an htc evo 3d and none of the solutions in this form worked but after trying to solve this for two months I stumbled on to the solution, for the htc evo 3d any way. I hold the power button down until the power options screen appears than I select restart (Green Button) below the button it says Close all apps and restart phone. After the phone restarted it took a few seconds for all the icones to return to normal and Viola! no more annoying voice mail notification. Hope this helps.

Nick McKinsey

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Hey there! Thanks for the instructions in your reply. I think it is attached to that visual voicemail. I may just delete it.

IAmJoanS

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Finally!!! The annoying voicemail icon is gone! This has been very helpful!!! Thank you!

NevahDat

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I tried All of the other suggestions. None of them worked. I tried this and Done!
Thank you! That icon was ANNOYING.

Mary Lynn Zahn

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Irks me to have to pay for an App to get rid of the notifcation but nothing else worked. It was worth the 99 cents!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1