Advantage to not using HTC Sense?

Ty07allstar

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there any advantage to using the standard Android home instead of the HTC Sense UI? I've heard that it's not as laggy and you get a little longer battery life? What have you guys heard or tested to prove this true?

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I dont really think you'll notice much of a difference. I started using the android home screens for about 2 weeks, I didn't notice much. Plus I had to download additional widgets to get the same functionality with the already HTC stuff so I just figured i'd go back to the SenseUI. I didn't notice much of a performance thing. That is purely based on what widgets you have running. if you remove all widgets from the SenseUI it runs fine, so i just dont overload it with all kinds of running apps for widgets, just what I need.

Ty07allstar

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I was just wondering because I was using it a bit and I also didn't really notice a difference. Just wanted to see what other people had to say.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I tried it myself and really didn't notice a difference. But imo I hate Sense, I believe they should have left the GUI stock the white bar and all looks cleaner imo, but we should have a choice on what features of the Sense to run!

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I think there is no difference in speed mostly because the SenseUI still runs in the background regardless if you use it or not. Check the processes when your in the android stock UI.

I personally enjoy the Sense UI over the android stock. For those that don't like the SenseUI, the beauty is you dont have to use it :). So its a win win.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I just started running without Sense (ha) last night, and the phone both seems faster to respond and seems to use less memory than when it's running Sense UI as the home. The things that I miss from Sense UI are a much smoother home screen to home screen swipe (you have to swipe like you mean it with plain Home), and the app drawer control is pretty dopey looking. Otherwise, the phone seems snappier to me.

I'll know for sure when I actually receive a call - the lock screen is almost always unresponsive with Sense UI (I need to hit the send button in order to answer calls almost always). We'll see what happens without Sense UI.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Doogald, you may be noticing this because yoru not using as many active widgets on 7 screens. If you look at your processes you'll still fine Sense UI is running, your just not using it. The default Android 3 home screens limits you by nature to running only so many widgets. So technically Android will be faster because of its design restrictions. SenseUI can be just as fast from what I noticed as long as you dont go overboard on putting lots of widgets on each of your 7 screens... heh. I went back and forth and I just came back to using senseUI. Again, to each their own :) I can't wait to get 2.x, then unlock then hack the stock apps out, and overclock, then add a bigger battery... then SenseUI will be as responsive as Android's default home.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Doogald, you may be noticing this because yoru not using as many active widgets on 7 screens. If you look at your processes you'll still fine Sense UI is running, your just not using it. The default Android 3 home screens limits you by nature to running only so many widgets.

On SenseUI, I was running only a few widgets: the HTC calendar widget, which showed the next calendar item; the HTC battery widget; and the HTC toggle widgets for each of the radios (WiFi, Mobile Network, GPS, and Bluetooth). I got rid of the analog clock/weather widget long ago. I'm using the same number of widgets now on home.

Also, it's too early to tell for sure, but I believe that I am getting better battery life without Sense UI.

m89maru

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
IDK it stands to reason that if you use less resources, less power is consumed. I love sense UI but I do notice it being sluggish at times. hopefully a lot of kinks will get worked out in 2.1

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
On SenseUI, I was running only a few widgets: the HTC calendar widget, which showed the next calendar item; the HTC battery widget; and the HTC toggle widgets for each of the radios (WiFi, Mobile Network, GPS, and Bluetooth). I got rid of the analog clock/weather widget long ago. I'm using the same number of widgets now on home.

Also, it's too early to tell for sure, but I believe that I am getting better battery life without Sense UI.

Maybe your right, but are you running the same widgets? the HTC widgets don't work in the standard android home screen. so different widgets may use different resources. I tested for awhile and didn't really notice a real difference so I went back to Sense.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe your right, but are you running the same widgets? the HTC widgets don't work in the standard android home screen. so different widgets may use different resources. I tested for awhile and didn't really notice a real difference so I went back to Sense.

I wasn't using the same widgets, just the same number of widgets. I had a different battery widget, and was using the Pure Calendar widget to show my next few calendar items. The battery widget was able to toggle WiFi and Bluetooth as well (actually, for BT, it took me to my settings, where I could turn it on.)

I've actually switched back to Sense, as I find it easier to use. I went back to the HTC battery widget, back to the radio toggle widgets, but decided to keep using the Pure Calendar widget. If there is a difference in battery life, it's not much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2