No Idea What's Going On

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Had my phone since the middle of December and love it.

Last night at dinner, it randomly began playing a song from my library, at full volume. I could not turn it down, and I could not get it to stop, I had to shut it down.

I thought it was a new music player app I installed, so I uninstalled it, then this morning, same thing, same song. When I unlocked the phone, it stopped.

But this absolutely has to stop. Any suggestions?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't read about this one before, but standard troubleshooting would be to:

1.) Power cycle
2.) 3rd party app process of elimination
3.) Hard reset
4.) Exchange for new one

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I have powered down and back up. Thought that fixed it last night, then this morning the song came on again.

I have spent a lot of time on different forums, and have never heard of this.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Have you made sure you have properly closed the application? How about trying a factory reset of the device, maybe it is glitching due to something lingering from the install of that other music player?

cryptiq

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
When the song is playing, does the music app show up...can you see what app is actually playing the song? Is it possible you have set the song as a notification for something like a facebook, email, next SMS alert...or as an alarm clock for that matter?

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
No app is showing up, and I have not set the song as a notification for anything. Nothing comes up in the notification bar, and as soon as I open the notification bar, it stops.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree with cryptiq - it must be some type of notification or alarm. If it's happening at the same time, I'd look at the alarm. If it's seemingly random times, I'd look at your notifications. And if you have young children who sometimes play with their own apps on your phone or may have gotten hold of it, then it could be anything. Just keep your media volume muted in the meantime until you get it figured out.

cryptiq

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
You also may want to try temporarily removing the song from the SD card. Perhaps whatever is accessing the song will throw an error the next time it tries to play it and it may give you a clue as to what's causing the problem.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Need to be sure it is 100% random.
Example - could it have been time for a notification from an app?
Does said app use a file from the SD card for it's notification sound?
Has SDcard been unmounted or cycled or scanned by any app since the last time you got a notification from our example app?

What I'm getting at -
It's a known issue that if you move enough data around on your SDcard the locations of the files change enough so that you need to reset app notifications. Let's be honest, Android still has some weird issues and this is one of them.

What if this is similar and it just appears random because it's so far fetched?