What's happening with my Sense??

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, my Eris has, from time to time, asked me what I wanted to do when I pressed my Home button - Home or Sense. I've not changed any settings. I tell it to make Sense the default from now on but it will still ask me, inconsistently. I had installed some new apps - all small footprint games - prior to that, but nothing that should have interfered with that.

Any ideas??

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, my Eris has, from time to time, asked me what I wanted to do when I pressed my Home button - Home or Sense. I've not changed any settings. I tell it to make Sense the default from now on but it will still ask me, inconsistently. I had installed some new apps - all small footprint games - prior to that, but nothing that should have interfered with that.

Any ideas??

Are you running the leaked 2.1?

Try this -
Download Home switcher from the market. Use it to wipe out Sense's persistent setting and then re-enable it. Or do it manually in your application settings. Sounds like the sqlite database might be corrupt or too big for it's britches.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Not running 2.1 - just 1.5. I'll try Home Switcher.

OK. Was just gathering info. This is like the third time in a few days I've heard someone with the Eris having this issue. All have been on 1.5.

As unlikely as it sounds, I'm thinking it's a third party app. A newly released one that either has a widget or uses a different screen resolution/color depth. If this was an Eris issue, I'd think it would have popped it's head up long before now. All just a guess BTW

In short, was just trying to see what you would say/think before you heard the above, because it's a bit more "correct" than it would be after someone else may have influenced your opinion :) Not trying to hold out on any info.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Turns out the problem is not just with my HTC Sense home, it's with any default. Every time I open up Dolphin it asks me to make it my default. I do, and it keeps asking. Same thing when I press the Search button from the home page. AUGH - Frustrating!

bayb63

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
It because you have somehow cleared the default, all you have to do is pick one, your android os wants to know which browser to bring up by default, when you hit home its bc the android os wants to know if it should run sence ui or just plain android 1.5, hope this helps.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Turns out the problem is not just with my HTC Sense home, it's with any default. Every time I open up Dolphin it asks me to make it my default. I do, and it keeps asking. Same thing when I press the Search button from the home page. AUGH - Frustrating!

That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Sounds like something has went haywire in your /data partition. Without actually having the phone in my hands the only thing I can suggest that I know will work is a full factory wipe :(

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Sounds like something has went haywire in your /data partition. Without actually having the phone in my hands the only thing I can suggest that I know will work is a full factory wipe :(

I can live with it for the moment. What's odd is that it doesn't happen every time - just sometimes. But when I press & hold the Home key, HTC Sense shows up as another app. Everything else still works fine though.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of whats wrong with sense, I just got my "new" refurb, and for some reason when I flick through the homescreens, the little bar that has "Add to Home" "Phone" and the App. Drawer will disappear and then reappear once the screen has stopped moving. Basically anytime the home screens are moved the bar will disappear. And the sense launcher has been frequently been force closing on me whenever I try to do something such as add calendar to my home. Common problem?

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I can live with it for the moment. What's odd is that it doesn't happen every time - just sometimes. But when I press & hold the Home key, HTC Sense shows up as another app. Everything else still works fine though.
Have you just for shiz n giggles tryed to clear the default and retry to make sense your home again?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Have you just for shiz n giggles tryed to clear the default and retry to make sense your home again?

Every time it asks me to make it the default, I check the box then choose Sense. Same with my Dolphin browser And it works fine for a while, then, for no apparent reason, it asks me again. I've uninstalled some apps that I had installed just prior to this happening and then restarted, but it's still going on. When I try to go into the settings and make things my defaults, the option doesn't present itself.

Wouldn't be an antivirus thing, would it? That's the only thing I've added that might do that -- but I had it for weeks before this started.

Another potential culprit could be Tasker, but again, I'd been using it for a while before this happened.

Weird....

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not Tasker, but antivirus...hmm. Wonder if the app your using thinks the saved data files in /data/data/name of the app need to be quarantined or deleted? Shoot the question off to the antivirus app developer and see what he/she has to say.