who else has updated to HTC Droid Eris 2.1 Rooted

dmase05

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my Eris yesterday evening after the announcement of the rooted 2.1. So far it seems to work well, but here are a couple of things I found. Please feel free to comment or add to the list of bugs/issues.

-Astrid will not connect to Remember The Milk. Get invalid API key even after reinstalling app and rebooting device.

-installed Google Earth, but it does not open

-installed setCPU, but there is no profile yet for the Eris. I used the custom option and it complains that it can't read my sd card and does not charge cpu speeds when I manually set them. It initially had defaults as appoximately Min = 240000 and Max = 380000, but now it keeps running at 528000. I'm assuming it wasn't always running this speed before so maybe its eating my battery now. Does anyone know what the original clock speed is set to on the Eris?

-installed Overclock widget after uninstalling setCPU and it doesn't manually change clock speeds either. Says speeds successfully set, but when you go back into the app the speeds are back to what they previously were.
-noticed that Bluetooth address and MAC Address are no longer available in the settings info screen. Perhaps this could cause wifi/bluetooth issues? My wifi works fine though, haven't tried bluetooth though.

-Occasionally when I kill apps using Advanced Task Killer, when I exit ATK the home screen (Sense screen) is gone and I see an HTC flash screen, then the sense home screens reload. This does not happen every time I kill apps with ATK, but maybe 1 in 5 times (or less, haven't really been counting). I don't notice any unusual tasks running that I kill that I think would cause this.

HTC widgets are still available, but I noticed less widgets (HTC or non HTC) to choose from. I can't remember all that were available before so sorry I can't name any that are missing.

Generally I think this image works great so far. The biggest thing that worries me is the CPU speed issues with setCPU and Overclock Widget. Perhaps its a non issue and I don't understand it enough. Maybe the "high" speeds are what the phone was originally running at, but I'm not convinced. If anyone knows what the original min and max clock speeds are, please post. I'm sure these apps will get updated for the Eris at some point anyways.

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm 2.1 also so I can't help too much
I do know that astrid had been having problems connecting to rtm though so its not the rooted rom.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have installed the root as well. So far the only noticeable thing that I have seen is that it apparently doesn't ask you to sign in every time you reboot. So far, other than that, I have just noticed that the root is a bit slower than the leak. Home button can get frustrating when it doesn't work when you hit it. Still trying to find out what more I can do with the root, since obviously root has much more potential than the leak. "Add HTC Widgets" still doesn't work. Not too sure on how or what XDA does with the root, but hopefully they will get inside the phone and fix these issues and upload a new updated ROM for us to use. That is, if that's how it works.

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I have installed the root as well. So far the only noticeable thing that I have seen is that it apparently doesn't ask you to sign in every time you reboot. So far, other than that, I have just noticed that the root is a bit slower than the leak. Home button can get frustrating when it doesn't work when you hit it. Still trying to find out what more I can do with the root, since obviously root has much more potential than the leak. "Add HTC Widgets" still doesn't work. Not too sure on how or what XDA does with the root, but hopefully they will get inside the phone and fix these issues and upload a new updated ROM for us to use. That is, if that's how it works.
That's a bit disappointing to hear. I know there are some devs working on some new roms. Hopefully there will be improvements with those.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. Upon taking a further look, I don't think my Eris is even rooted. Got Android Terminal and tried the commands sudo and reboot. Both resulted in a message saying "Permission is Denied!". ??? :confused: Should I re-load the root?

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
And just for the record, I entered and got the following in android term.:

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ $
$ id
uid=10064(app_64) gid=10064(app_64)
$ su
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

well, maybe it is rooted? I am about to install the recovery image, so I should find out then for sure...

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
And just for the record, I entered and got the following in android term.:

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ $
$ id
uid=10064(app_64) gid=10064(app_64)
$ su
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

well, maybe it is rooted? I am about to install the recovery image, so I should find out then for sure...

and the result is??

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Sorry guys when I posted that I was a little unfamiliar with terminals and coding etc. Talked with the creators of the root for a long time last night and gained a good amount of knowledge on the stuff. I am positive I have root now. The sudo command isn't one you can use with the eris, that's why it wasn't working. If you are able to type the same codes I did into the terminal, and you get as far as I did, you have root. Also, flashed the recovery image last night, it installed great. Obviously you can't flash the recovery if you aren't rooted. Testing a new rom today for jchase, will let you all know how it runs.

dmase05

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just tried installing the new updated google maps on rooted device and it didn't work. Says package is incorrectly signed (or something like that).

dmase05

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's a newer ROM since the one announced on 3/16? What and where? I haven't been able to find any results for it. Also, the recovery image? Is this a way to go back to the original out of the box OS? If not, is there a way to go back?

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
EDITED:

Yes. I'm pretty sure you don't have it because I do and I downloaded maps update just fine. LINK: GUIDE: From stock 1.5 to the latest root 2.1 - Android Forums

And as for the recovery, the recovery image is basically a set of tools added to the recovery boot. It helps you flash new roms, and create backups and restore. You cannot go back to the out of the box OS yet, but if you mess something up in your current rom you can just boot into recovery and restore to whichever rom you choose. I would recommend creating a nand backup, as it saves EVERYTHING.

By the way the new ROM is great. Very fast, has a few bugs tho. This one asks you to sign into google from reboot, and sometimes HTC widgets don't appear. But you DEFINITELY want to upgrade to the new ROM after you flash the recovery.

Last edited:

dmase05

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks mrfarinhight, I flashed the most up to date ROM last night at the forum post you linked. It worked well and I got the nand backup. There still seems to be issues with HTTP access with in apps. Have you seen this? For instance, when Astrid tries to contact rememberthemilk.com it can not access the site.

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks mrfarinhight, I flashed the most up to date ROM last night at the forum post you linked. It worked well and I got the nand backup. There still seems to be issues with HTTP access with in apps. Have you seen this? For instance, when Astrid tries to contact rememberthemilk.com it can not access the site.

one of the known issues is Astrid won't sync with RTM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox