Gmail on Android - FAIL
04-07-2010 06:33 PM
- i'll tell you why...
when i'm in a hurry and i try to get through all my emails on my BB i can stop and all the ones that i read will be marked read, however... on the android i cannot stop in the middle of a long convo (lets say 50 emails) and then continue when i have time from the same spot ... they just mark the entire conversation as read (even though i didnt get to the last email).... and when i do go back to the convo i have to expand it fully and look for the email i stopped at to continue reading .... is there any way i can go around this thing or is this just a google failure ... does anyone else have the same problem?04-06-2010 07:09 PM
- That's not a problem that I have myself (I mean, I tend to read all messages in a conversation rather than leave things unread.) However, I think if you set up your gmail account for IMAP (meaning, from your computer go into gmail, go into settings, and activate IMAP access) and then use the phone's mail application to connect via IMAP, you should be ok - I seem to recall that the Mail app does not gather emails into conversations the way that the Gmail app (and gmail on the web in general) does.04-06-2010 07:38 PM
- That's a nice thought but then I wouldn't be getting my emails instantly...
Or how about as you're reading a convo you receive a couple emails for that convo and can't read them without having to Back out of it and as u do Gmail marks them read ... THAT grinds my gears04-06-2010 08:36 PM
If that is not discrete enough, you can use both apps. Use the regular Gmail app to notify you of emails using push. You can even use it to read the one-off messages. You can then use the Mail app (with background notifications turned off - so you avoid duplicate notifications) just for reading the long conversation thread items that you are talking about. Set it for manual update and just refresh when you want to go into those long threads.
I tried out gmail on the browser, by the way, but it doesn't seem to be able to discretely mark one of the messages as "unread from here", or star the particular message in a conversation - it just stars the last message of the conversation.04-06-2010 09:00 PM
- i see how thats a fix, yes... but the way my eris handles my AOL IMAP (slow as hell) i wouldnt want my gmail the same way
thanks for the suggestions but i still think google should do something about the way android handles gmail
you know of a google suggestion box i can drop this thread in?04-07-2010 10:01 AM
- That's probably an AOL issue. I have used Mail with Gmail using IMAP and it has not been an issue at all.
There are third party mail apps. I've read others talk about K9, but I have not used it. See K-9 Mail for Android - Communication
It says that it support IMAP idle push, and it is free, so it may be worth a try?04-07-2010 10:14 AM
- Sorry to thradjack, but I just have a question:
I have my gmail, "pop'ed" on my desktop. My mail Archived when I read said message in mail (OS X). But when I send a email from my phone I always get the sent message in my OS X mail inbox. Any ideas why? Anyway to stop it?
Also, for some reason I'm not getting any emails today unless I refresh the gmail app myself.
Thoughts?04-07-2010 03:00 PM
- 04-07-2010 06:33 PM
- More Android Goodness
- The Archives
- Android Central Archives
- HTC Droid Eris
Gmail on Android - FAIL
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD