bluetooth keyboard question

divechief

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I was at the local brookstone today. They had a roll up silicone bluetooth keyboard that was advertised for the Iphone, but said it would work with androids. there was no manual available and the low battery light was blinking on the demonstrator but it would not pair with my HTC 3D. has anyone tried this? any success?

TIA

readable

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It should work. I have a few iphone bluetooth keyboards and they work. A couple of things
1. When you pair the keyboard type in a four digit code (any 4 numbers). Then type in the same numbers using the bluetooth keyboard and press enter. You will be paired.

2. You do need to go to the input panel. The just start typing in the a text field.

I use SwiftKey the predictions are great.

I was at the local brookstone today. They had a roll up silicone bluetooth keyboard that was advertised for the Iphone, but said it would work with androids. there was no manual available and the low battery light was blinking on the demonstrator but it would not pair with my HTC 3D. has anyone tried this? any success?

TIA

majestros

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
from what I've read, android only supports spp keyboards, not hid keyboards (which the iPhone does support). I'd look for a little more confirmation that it will work before keeping it. If you root your phone this isn't an issue.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is one that supports both. I found many with HID and SPP support. These are nice. I have yet to find myself with that much to type at one time into my phone to warrant the purchase personally. However I'm like the option.

meastling

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I have the Brookstone Keyboard and have used it with my iPad successfully. I wanted to see if I could use it with my EVO 4G. After reading how to pair them from readable's post.. I have paired them successfully but get the message 'paired but not connected' in the bluetooth management app. Is there a step I am missing, or is this an incompatability issue?

Thanks in advance for any insight..

-m

Beanz111

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You should have received a small dvd with the keyboard that contains a driver or application to install onto your Android device. I installed the application,but when I opened it it said activation was required. When I tried to activate it would say activation failed exiting application. Let me know if anyone has the same problem or if it works for them. I have an EVO 4g with 2.3.3.

Last edited:

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

TIA

Download bluekeyboard jP on market

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

GGreenberg

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought (and will now return) the Brookstone keyboard. It cost %50

Amazingly, it attaches just as discussed above, no drivers, no problem. The instruction to type matching keys on the not-yet-attached-keyboard is exactly right.

The process is MUCH easier than the Freedom Pro mechanical keyboard, where you have to:
- permit non-marketplace apps
- download the driver
- install it as a device in bluetooth
- activate the device in keyboards
- change the "Input method" that the text entry fields see new characters arrive.

On the other hand, the device itself is an awful disappointment. Fully 1/2 of keystrokes fail to register, and if you push/hold them too long, you get the alternative character the keyboard you're overriding would have chosen (like an accented letter or a goofy character).

I'll stick to my Freedom Pro (& Swype on the go).

- G

adrianmuniz

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I ve just bought a brookstone keyboard, and i have exactly the same problem than you. Do you solve it? could you tell me how?
Thanks

You should have received a small dvd with the keyboard that contains a driver or application to install onto your Android device. I installed the application,but when I opened it it said activation was required. When I tried to activate it would say activation failed exiting application. Let me know if anyone has the same problem or if it works for them. I have an EVO 4g with 2.3.3.

rplummer

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the rollup Bluetooth keyboard with a wireless USB dongle last week from Brookstone. Haven't tested the USB connection yet. The Bluetooth works pretty well for me with the default configuration on my Motorola Xoom. It came right up during the bluetooth bonding and all the keys appear to function. I haven't had a problem with missed presses or runaway stokes.

I purchased it because the Logitech that I have is too big to fit into the Targus case I have for my Xoom, which also works well and has a stand for the Xoom. I now have to go and find a stand that will easily fit into my Targus case.

My misgivings are;

4.5 hours to recharge via USB 2.0
90 minutes of battery life / charge
you can't fold the keyboard flat or compress it with anything heavy.

Might be reasons that I end up taking it back.

jd_on_ice

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
HI,
Simple question about that keyboard.
When i write lets say a text message, is there a key on the keyboard that will replace `send` on my phone ?

Thanks

hugh308

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just connected a Brookstone roll up keyboard to my new Droid Razr. After several failed attempts to follow the suggestions in this thread, I tried once again and it worked! What was the difference, you ask?

Well, I typed in the "1234" code on first the Droid and then on the keyboard but not until the third try did I remember to also push "Enter" on the keyboard. That's all it took and bingo evrthing works perfectly. I was thinking that it would be necessary to install the drivers that are provided on a micro disc with the keyboard, but that proved unnecessary. Good thing I didn't 'cause that might well have screwed things up.

So far after several lengthy test email messages I'm impressed with the keyboard. If one is careful not to stress it too much physically (e.g. too tightly folded or banged around) should be a big help in my goal - leave the laptop behind while traveling.

Reactions: the2ndflood

jessechunn

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
My misgivings are;

4.5 hours to recharge via USB 2.0
90 minutes of battery life / charge
you can't fold the keyboard flat or compress it with anything heavy.

Might be reasons that I end up taking it back.

Umm, that is 90 HOURS, not 90 minutes. Significant battery life on this little guy for a 4-5 hour charge, which I typically do while at my desk using a laptop (which has its own keyboard).

As for folding it or compressing it, so far, I have been carrying mine around smashed up in my laptop bag, cramming it into overhead compartments on planes and such, without issue. For me at least, it has withstood a lot more abuse than my (excellent) logitech "hard" bluetooth keyboard, which I eventually broke (but got another because it is a great keyboard too). I guess if you are looking for something indestructible, this is probably not it, but it has been pretty durable for me.

The two things I DONT like about it:
1. Cant get the software to activate (I assume it is only there to supress the on-screen keyboard)
2. The little "cap" that covers the on-off switch and charging port is easy to lose. I still have it, but I am sure I will eventually lose it. It should be attached somehow. Once it is lost, I will no longer be able to type underwater, and will have to find another solution to my underwater typing needs.

If anyone has a solution to the software activation problem, I would really like to know about it. If someone has a solution to the underwater typing problem, well, you lead an interesting life.

dcperi

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU! When this KB paired with my iPad it generated a random 8 digit PIN and told the iPad what it was.

When I tried to pair it with my DroidX. it wouldn't tell me what the PIN was. The software that came with the keyboard was garbage (though the instructions were written by a non-native-English speaker, which is always good for a giggle). When I read this thread, I realized that I could punch in the password on the phone, then the same password on the keyboard, and press enter. Voila!

Had to use an 8-digit password, though. Otherwise, everything is peachy now. Just need to uninstall the junkware app from the phone...

Audrey Ann Low

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I type underwater at around 30 wpm on a Motorola Defy, using the stock virtual keyboard. Coming up to breathe every 2 minutes or so makes underwater typing even slower for me. I would like to push my underwater typing speed closer to my land typing speed of 110+ wpm by finding a good bluetooth keyboard. Size is important - the keyboard must fit in my swimmers, yet also be full sized if possible. I am considering the Brookstone although the plug will be a deal-breaker if there's something comparable with no detached parts. Any new reviews on the Brookstone or similar?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon