Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By andrewarm
  • 1 Post By Hydraulic Jack
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question Regarding EVO Chagers

Hi, recently I got an EVO 3D for myself and a few EVOs for the rest of my family plan.

Now, instead of replacing all of the chargers, I had a question: Can I use the new EVO 3D charger
    (5V @ 1A) to charge standard EVOs, a blackberry Bold (?V @ ?A), & a Kindle 2 (4.9V @ .85A)?

As far as I understand, the voltages must be nearly identical, the amperage must be at least the stated value, and the input (micro USB) must be the same across all device.

Does this hold true? What about with car chargers?

Thanks for the help - this was a pretty large investment, and I do not want to fry all of them.

Default What charger is best?

What charger is the fastest/best for this phone?....HJ

Default Re: Question Regarding EVO Chagers

Nobody knows what charger charges fastest? HJ

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hydraulic Jack View Post
    Nobody knows what charger charges fastest? HJ
    Don't use a higher voltage than is recommended, you may charge faster, but it will be terrible for the components. You can't push a higher current through the phone than it is meant to take, either. In other words, just use the stock charger.

I read that one car charger would charge it up to 85% in 45 minutes....My stock wall charger that came with it doesn't come close to that...HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hydraulic Jack View Post
    I read that one car charger would charge it up to 85% in 45 minutes....My stock wall charger that came with it doesn't come close to that...HJ
    Is the official palm pre wall charger or car charger OK to use with this phone....I have two of each that I would love to repurpose versus chuck...
    "月に代わって... ~ おしおきよぅ!" - 月野うさぎ!

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    Is the official palm pre wall charger or car charger OK to use with this phone....I have two of each that I would love to repurpose versus chuck...
    Yes. They are both 5V, 1.0A per USB specifications.
    Thanked by:
    daikon 
    daikon likes this.

Who's this Chuck guy? HJ
    daikon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewarm View Post
    Yes. They are both 5V, 1.0A per USB specifications.

Y-E-S
    BEST NEWS EVER FTW!!!!!!!!

What now palm pre--- its over-- your over yes yes yes EVO BBBBBBAAAAAAABBBYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

thank you
    "月に代わって... ~ おしおきよぅ!" - 月野うさぎ!

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raffiy View Post
    Hi, recently I got an EVO 3D for myself and a few EVOs for the rest of my family plan.

Now, instead of replacing all of the chargers, I had a question: Can I use the new EVO 3D charger
    (5V @ 1A) to charge standard EVOs, a blackberry Bold (?V @ ?A), & a Kindle 2 (4.9V @ .85A)?

As far as I understand, the voltages must be nearly identical, the amperage must be at least the stated value, and the input (micro USB) must be the same across all device.

Does this hold true? What about with car chargers?

Thanks for the help - this was a pretty large investment, and I do not want to fry all of them.
    You could indeed use the EVO charger for the Kindle 2. The difference between 4.9 and 5.0V is negligible, considering the fact that the emf of either charger will likely vary by more than .1V. And the Kindle will only draw .85A from the quoted 1.0A PS of the EVO, so there's no problem there.

What you said about the voltages being nearly identical and amperage being at least the stated value is correct. I haven't checked the EVO power supply, but I'm guessing that it varies by ~.2V, so using a 4.8-5.2V charger certainly couldn't hurt it. Similarly, using the EVO charger for anything in that range should certainly be fine, provided the amperage is high enough. Otherwise, you'll probably ruin the charger.

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daikon View Post
    I'm using my pre car charger. I used it with my EVO 4G and it would charge and keep 100% charge. The pre car charger charges my 3d but gets to 100% then it will stop charging and go down to around 97% and start charging again.
    Is that normal or is the pre charger not working correctly?

Sent from my EVO 3D via Tapatalk

I have used the iGo tips as a guide as to what chargers I can cross-purpose. Just search on their site for different devices and see which tips come up. I came from the Pre a year ago and it had the same tip as the EVO 4G... which also has the same tip as the Kindle 2/3. I've used the Evo charger to charge the Kindle 3 and vice-versa. Since the 3D charger is the same as the 4G one, it should work too. And they also work with my GSM phone, an unlocked LG Thrive. I love needing fewer chargers to travel.