Seidio Active EVO 3D case review with pictures

ATC Buckeye

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been carrying my shiny new EVO3D around in the new Seidio Active case, in Burgundy, and I must say I'm very impressed. For the last couple years I've been a die-hard Otterbox fan, and I've used all three models they make on a couple different phones with great results, and I had every intention on purchasing one for my EVO3D as well, but decided to try out this Seidio Active case this time instead, and I'm quite glad I did.

Fit:
For me this is the most important characteristic of a good case. It's gotta fit PERFECT, and this one does. Every plug, port, button, etc lines up perfectly and is accessible. The silicone skin is a nice snug fit, and the plastic skeleton pops on with no trouble and stays put. It just takes a couple of tiny adjustments to make everything sit how it should when installing the case for the first time, but it's a "set-it-and-forget-it" install. Very nice. I actually found the power/sleep button and volume rocker on the phone to be a bit hard to press in the short time I used it with no case. Well, the Seidio case solved that problem. The buttons now press just right, in my opinion. Not too easy to press, but not too difficult either.

Bulk:

The EVO3D is a big phone so I didn't want to add much bulk, hence the reason I went with the Active case. It's sleek and lightweight and doesn't add much bulk. Just right.

Protection:

This case solves one of the biggest problems with the EVO3D. Without a case, the camera pod sticks out beyond the back of the phone, just asking to get scratched or cracked. Well, this case is the fix. It surrounds the camera pod and extends beyond it just a tad, so setting the phone down on its back doesn't cause the cameras to come in contact with anything. The cameras aren't actually covered, but the fact that they are now recessed is exactly what I was hoping for. As far as the rest of the phone goes, I'm confident this case will protect nicely against bumps, drops, etc, although I've done none of those things yet to actually test its shock protection abilities

I've found that the silicone skin of this case doesn't attract too much lint and dust, but it does attract some. Just the nature of a silicone skin I'm afraid. The plastic skeleton is a really nice satin finish and slides in and out of a pocket easily. The burgundy color is beautiful and is a real nice touch. Well done on the aesthetics!

There are a couple things I would change about the case. The first is the fact that it does not include a screen protector. This would have been a nice touch to include one like Otterbox does.

Second, the 2D/3D switch is tough to flip with the case on, but I don't think there's really any way around that. It's recessed down in the case so you have to use your fingernail to flip it. The camera button however, is covered by the case, and it operates perfectly while covered. I'll be using that button a lot more than the 2D/3D switch.

Finally, I do wish that the charging port and earphone jack holes had plugs to protect against dust and dirt. It's more convenient having them open, and actually my last Otterbox case tore right at the charging plug, but I'd prefer to have those ports covered. No biggie though.

Overall I love the case. It's a great design with a perfect fit and a really nice, elegant look. I'm confident this case will provide the protection that I need for this expensive phone. I feel this case is on par with the Otterbox commuter, and I consider Otterbox to be the standard to which other cases should strive for. Well done Seidio. This case is a keeper!!!

Pictures:

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

IMG_7291.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

Reactions: mdallen5 and boski

PIP 3D

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I haven't had a chance to look for a case yet. But I can vouch for this one. This is what I used on my og EVO. can't count how many times it saved my phone. Very well built case. Now that I know seidio was making this case for the 3d this will be mine. I do have to check out this Otterbox thing though. How much do they run?

mrazzino

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a Seidio case like this for my Evo 4G. My only issue with it is that if you drop your phone, be prepared for those little corners of the hard case to break off. Twice one of the top corners broke off... granted, the case did its work, but for a $30 case to break every time you drop it... that was hard for me to swallow. The first time I did a warranty replacement, the second time I just took the case off and went naked. Just my two cents on these kinds of cases - I think the Otterbox style is better with the entire side being plastic instead of the 6 little tips.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
When you say "satin finish" does it feel somewhat like the back of the EVO 3D naked? Kinda almost like it's coated plastic sorta but not quite?

I broke down and got the Platinum Cruiser at best buy. The Platinum/Surface was nice, but seemed too expensive for just basically scratch protection IMO. Figured I might as well get my money's worth. I'm finding this to be a bit more of a dust magnet than I wanted though. I went this route over the Otterbox Commuter because a) I'd have to wait for it and b) not a fan of the hard plastic total coverage, heh.

Trying to figure out if the Platinum Cruiser is indeed a rebadge seido or some other company. My friend's Seido Active is hard plastic for his 3GS. Not that I'm complaining, I was quite surprised when I opened the case, in a good way.

ATC Buckeye

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'd say its similar to the stock backing, at least the smooth part of the back. It's a very sleek satiny finish that slides in and out of pockets with ease.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the same case for my oG EVO too and I loved it and I love it on this phone now. Only case I'm gonna use unless I buy a kickstand one.

Wow! I haven't had a chance to look for a case yet. But I can vouch for this one. This is what I used on my og EVO. can't count how many times it saved my phone. Very well built case. Now that I know seidio was making this case for the 3d this will be mine. I do have to check out this Otterbox thing though. How much do they run?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes they sent me one too and they sent my friend a convert whole combo with the holster and all he loves it. His review will be posted soon..

The nice people at Seidio sent me a preproduction case early to try out and review. Still really liking the case and the phone.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
the only downside to this case right now is how much pocket lint/dust it likes to pick up =/ sometimes I'll have to really wipe down my screen so I'm not pushing dust around.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah my only con to the case was the dust and lint on the black silicone part. But I love the feel of it in my hand.

the only downside to this case right now is how much pocket lint/dust it likes to pick up =/ sometimes I'll have to really wipe down my screen so I'm not pushing dust around.

DocToxyn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a Seidio case like this for my Evo 4G. My only issue with it is that if you drop your phone, be prepared for those little corners of the hard case to break off. Twice one of the top corners broke off... granted, the case did its work, but for a $30 case to break every time you drop it... that was hard for me to swallow. The first time I did a warranty replacement, the second time I just took the case off and went naked. Just my two cents on these kinds of cases - I think the Otterbox style is better with the entire side being plastic instead of the 6 little tips.

I had the same problem but never dropped it once, the tabs eventually just broke off. Granted it took 5-6 months before the first one came off, but sure enough within about two weeks the case was unusable. Quite a few people reported similar experiences on this and other forums.

I really liked the case and the grip/feel in my hand was great, but I couldn't drop another $30 for something I knew would break again.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't drop another $30 for something I knew would break again.

I had one on my Epic 4G for 8 months with no issues. Granted it a slightly different form factor with the slid out keyboard. Love the case on my EVO 3D too though.

It can pick up a bit of the cat hair floating around the house but it blows right off. :) Maybe I'll brush the cats more often. ;)

mauddib

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the one from Best Buy and I like it a lot as well. Only issue I have is trying to drag things from one screen to another because the ridge of the case gets in the way of my phone.

Agree with the lint problem. I have heard some people have success by either wiping their phone with a dyer sheet or spraying a static cling guard on it. Can anyone attest to this?

Qoheleth

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I was looking for a "bumper" type case just after I got my 3D and found this at Best Buy (sold under their "Platinum Cruiser" label). They only had the white and black versions, but I quickly found the Seidio version with some other colors (oddly, not including white). I was even able to get some of the white pieces and, with a little RIT dye, create my own Green (top left) and Brown (on the 3D right now).

The case is great. It's actually quite thin considering the protection it adds. The 3D still slips nicely into my shirt pocket.

Last edited:

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I was looking for a "bumper" type case just after I got my 3D and found this at Best Buy (sold under their "Platinum Cruiser" label). They only had the white and black versions, but I quickly found the Seidio version with some other colors (oddly, not including white). I was even able to get some of the white pieces and, with a little RIT dye, create my own Green (top left) and Brown (on the 3D right now).

The case is great. It's actually quite thin considering the protection it adds. The 3D still slips nicely into my shirt pocket.

pretty damn nice. how'd you get extra white pieces?