Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oscar_madison
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Otter Box: Defender Series

Just got my Otter Box: Defender Series, it fits like a glove on my EVO 3D it makes the phone a bit more bulky but is ok for the protection, super responsive screen-protector with a smooth grip and feel. Thumbs up! P.S - pics look the same as they did without the case, to me. Experience may vary.
    Last edited by raydawg13; 07-01-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Otter Box: Defender Series

I agree. The case is made really well and it feels great in the hand.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Great case if you don't mind the bulk and need those extra layers of protection. If you don't use for phone outdoors a lot where you may drop it than the case is a waste. It is made for protection where dirt and dust may get inside. Personally I am going to wait until the official kickstand case comes out because I work in retail sales and rarely even use my phone on the job where I may drop it.

As for the build and quality of the case it is made very very well and fits perfect to the Evo 3D. As you mentioned the protective screen is very responsive and works as if it isn't there.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

Awesome case

great case but i will be pulling the screen protector off of it i think. Its really reflective and with it on the screen washes out in direct sunlight

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I'm loving my defender. It feels very solid in the hand. The screen protector feels good as well. I like the extra protection of the flaps on the headphone jack, 2d 3d slider, as well as the charging port, but it does get a little annoying to have to POP them up the plug thing in. Overall I feel that the phone is very safe inside the defender.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I really like the protection the Defender case provides. I am rough on my phones -- I work as a firefighter and my phone is constantly getting bumped, banged, and, yes, occasionally dropped. So I am one of the (few) people who truly needs the level of protection the Defender provides and am willing to put up with the extra bulk.

But I do find a couple of annoyances with the case. I've had to hard reboot the phone several times already and getting the hard plastic part of the case apart is a pain. Equally frustrating is getting the rubber sleeve back on. It sits nicely everywhere but at the top by the earphone jack. It takes five minutes of fiddling every time to finally get that part to sit flat.

If I had to guess, those two issues are what will eventually cause me to have to replace the case before I replace the phone next year. I can foresee the plastic frame breaking during a future hard reboot, and I'm willing to bet that the rubber will either stretch out and not latch onto the frame or tear at the headphone jack.

The good news is Otterbox comes with a 1 year warranty, so the replacement won't cost me anything.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by btrotta View Post
    I really like the protection the Defender case provides. I am rough on my phones -- I work as a firefighter and my phone is constantly getting bumped, banged, and, yes, occasionally dropped. So I am one of the (few) people who truly needs the level of protection the Defender provides and am willing to put up with the extra bulk.

But I do find a couple of annoyances with the case. I've had to hard reboot the phone several times already and getting the hard plastic part of the case apart is a pain. Equally frustrating is getting the rubber sleeve back on. It sits nicely everywhere but at the top by the earphone jack. It takes five minutes of fiddling every time to finally get that part to sit flat.

If I had to guess, those two issues are what will eventually cause me to have to replace the case before I replace the phone next year. I can foresee the plastic frame breaking during a future hard reboot, and I'm willing to bet that the rubber will either stretch out and not latch onto the frame or tear at the headphone jack.

The good news is Otterbox comes with a 1 year warranty, so the replacement won't cost me anything.
    I love this case personally. The screen protector built in is ok but it did get a small crack in mine so I just popped it out (it's only held in with some adhesive gel) and replaced it with a invisishield. The other slight problem I had with the built in screen protector was the fact that dust would get underneath it and was nearly impossible to remove with out taking apart the whole case.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I've been using the defender since day 1 and I've tried with and without it. It is a little bulky yes but I almost feel the phone is too thin without it. I personally prefer a slightly bulkier phone so I can grip it better. Even with the phone its not that bulky, still fits in my jeans fine and I dont wear ones that are 10 sizes too big.

I did however tear the screen protector off of the case-- That was the only thing I disliked.

Otherwise its a great case and well worth it for me

Quote Originally Posted by zaslek View Post
    I've been using the defender since day 1 and I've tried with and without it. It is a little bulky yes but I almost feel the phone is too thin without it. I personally prefer a slightly bulkier phone so I can grip it better. Even with the phone its not that bulky, still fits in my jeans fine and I dont wear ones that are 10 sizes too big.

I did however tear the screen protector off of the case-- That was the only thing I disliked.

Otherwise its a great case and well worth it for me
    Was it really easy to remove the screen protector? Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing but was not sure how hard to get it off.
    I like the fact it added some bulk. For me the phone without the case was too thin to hold comfortably when I am using the "phone" fuction. (Yes, I use it as a phone, too, not just as a hand-held computer )
    Only thing I did not like about this case as the screen protector. The touch response is good but nearly impossible to see through outside. And dust gets underneath it like another member mentioned. It is not as clear as I expected. The black edge at the top of screen under the ear speaker grill, the black color looks defintely different between the section under the built-in screen protector and the section above not under the protector.
    On my original EVO 4G, I used the Seidio Tough case (Innocase + Rubber + skeleton). I liked it but the inner Innocase layer scratched corner edges of phones.

Exceptional case. I've been using it since day one. It's everything I could ask for in a case plus a built in screen protector. Belt holster doubles as a stand. It's bulky but it is still very comfortable in my hand. Reminds me of my Handspring Visor Pro in it's Active Armor case. The case is well designed, well made, and comes with a one year warranty. If you need heavy duty protection you will love this case. If you don't need the real heavy duty protection you might like the commuter better. Next time I need a new case for anything I'm going to look at Otterbox first. I am thoroughly impressed with the overall quality of this case.
    Hydraulic Jack likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I think I might be giving this case a go! Not 100% sold yet! If I do pick it up I will review it! All I can say is VERY tempting! :P
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!