1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S-Off vs Root

Did a google search for this but couldn't really find a straight answer. With the new s-off utility available for the 3D, does this now grant root access? What I am looking to do is simply run a few apps that require root (Wireless Tether, Titanium Backup, Ad-Free Android, etc). From what I have read, it seems this s-off tool will allow me to load custom ROMs (something I'm not that interested in). But in order to run the apps I want that require root, does that mean I will have to run the tool and load a custom ROM or can I simply run this tool and then run the root-requiring apps I want to?

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Default Re: S-Off vs Root

There is a separate zip you need to run after getting soff.
    [HOW-TO] ╰╮╰╮REVOLUTIONARY╰╮╰╮ Get S-OFF, Recovery and Perm-Root!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Did a google search for this but couldn't really find a straight answer. With the new s-off utility available for the 3D, does this now grant root access? What I am looking to do is simply run a few apps that require root (Wireless Tether, Titanium Backup, Ad-Free Android, etc). From what I have read, it seems this s-off tool will allow me to load custom ROMs (something I'm not that interested in). But in order to run the apps I want that require root, does that mean I will have to run the tool and load a custom ROM or can I simply run this tool and then run the root-requiring apps I want to?
    From what I found, s-off is a permanent root. There is a way of getting temporary root, but you will lose it after you reboot. My understanding is that s-off enables you to stay rooted even after you reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Follow the link provided in post#2. All you need to do is d/l the seperate zip and install superuser on your phone. That is when you will have root and can install your apps. You do not have to load a custom ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by smd4usc View Post
    From what I found, s-off is a permanent root. There is a way of getting temporary root, but you will lose it after you reboot. My understanding is that s-off enables you to stay rooted even after you reboot.
    S-off is completely different than rooting. Rooting is a separate process, but if you have S-Off, you can make root permanent.