why im not going unlock my phone through htc (voids warranty)

zionixi#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So HTC has a web tool to unlock your boot loader. Very smart of them, and kind as well. Until you think about it a little. Here's a scenario:

You buy an evo 3d (or whatever the new hotness is) and you pull it out, go to the site and register your UNLOCKED phone, thus nulifying any warranties you ever had. Say you had a faulty CPU from the get-go.. bad solsering, loose wires.. whatever. You are now essentially screwed, whether you ran a custom ROM or you just wanted to feel 'free'. You cannot take it back to Sprint/tmo/Verizon.. becauase now the phone is registered out of the warranty...

I had an og EVO that had this exact situation... Had I registered I would have been up a creek..

Listen, there is root and s-off methods for every phone pratically, some take more work than others.. the Evo line (and new HTC phones) have been given great tools like revolution that make HTC not worth it, when I can go s-on whenever I feel like it..

Just my thoughts

Reactions: the2ndflood

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: why im not going unlock my phone through htc

So HTC has a web tool to unlock your boot loader. Very smart of them, and kind as well. Until you think about it a little. Here's a scenario:

You buy an evo 3d (or whatever the new hotness is) and you pull it out, go to the site and register your UNLOCKED phone, thus nulifying any warranties you ever had. Say you had a faulty CPU from the get-go.. bad solsering, loose wires.. whatever. You are now essentially screwed, whether you ran a custom ROM or you just wanted to feel 'free'. You cannot take it back to Sprint/tmo/Verizon.. becauase now the phone is registered out of the warranty...

I had an og EVO that had this exact situation... Had I registered I would have been up a creek..

Listen, there is root and s-off methods for every phone pratically, some take more work than others.. the Evo line (and new HTC phones) have been given great tools like revolution that make HTC not worth it, when I can go s-on whenever I feel like it..

Just my thoughts

Do you have a link?

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Link? Does anyone have a link to the web unlocker? Or is this just theory?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a question though. Unless they specify that unlocking your phone through them, say like a warning before downloading, voids the warranty, how can they deny use of the warranty if they allow you to do it? If anything they may say that if you unlock your phone by any other means your warranty will be invalid.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a question though. Unless they specify that unlocking your phone through them, say like a warning before downloading, voids the warranty, how can they deny use of the warranty if they allow you to do it? If anything they may say that if you unlock your phone by any other means your warranty will be invalid.

You will be warned that it voids your warranty beforehand.

Sent from my Nexus S

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

You will be warned that it voids your warranty beforehand.

Sent from my Nexus S

Perhaps. I suspect if they do they won't have many takers. As for me, I've already unlocked mine and rooted and don't plan on going through them. Just another hypothetical scenario.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is what Google does, so there's a good chance HTC will do the same. When I entered the unlock bootloader command in ADB for my Nexus S, a screen on the phone appeared explaining that continuing may void the phone's warranty. However (presumably) unlike HTC, Google does not keep a record of who unlocks their bootloaders so you can still go back to stock for warranty repairs.

Sent from my Nexus S

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

This is why they were encrypted in the first place, and why HTC (and everyone else) will make them harder to crack, and keep a closer watch on the engineering tools that get leaked out to crack them.

Responsibility isn't really a hard subject to get a grasp on. Neither is fraud.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site

Wouldn't they have to prove you used the key? Downloading the key and using the key are two different things. You are requesting the key. Now, if once the key is put in, there is no way to get rid of it, once installed, then, yes HTC will know, but will Sprint have the capabilities to check if it is rooted, beside HTC telling them the emailed out the code.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

Wouldn't they have to prove you used the key? Downloading the key and using the key are two different things. You are requesting the key. Now, if once the key is put in, there is no way to get rid of it, once installed, then, yes HTC will know, but will Sprint have the capabilities to check if it is rooted, beside HTC telling them the emailed out the code.

Most likely by downloading the key you accept that your warranty is voided. And I wouldn't be surprised if HTC made a carrier searchable list that they could plug in the phone's ID and check if the key was downloaded for that device or not.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

This is why they were encrypted in the first place, and why HTC (and everyone else) will make them harder to crack, and keep a closer watch on the engineering tools that get leaked out to crack them.

Responsibility isn't really a hard subject to get a grasp on. Neither is fraud.

True. A lot of people mess with their phones not knowing what they are doing, then return them claiming they are defective. Some people don't understand exactly what rooting is or even know why they want to do it. They just hear others talk about it and think they should do it too. Look at all of the posts by commenting on how difficult it is. Not necessarily saying you shouldn't be able to do what you want to your own device. Just saying that a lot of people go into it blindly and don't want to be out a bunch of money when they can't fix it. I think you are right, it will get to the point where you either have to go through the company to unlock or wait for an exploit. Look at how long it took this time. In the future it is possible that the phone will be obsolete before an exploit is found.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

canterrain

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm probably going to say something unpopular here, but that doesn't make it less true.

If you root your phone without using HTC's tool, you have still voided your warranty. (And yes, if you use HTC's tool you probably have, since it says as much in the facebook post).

If you brick it, and manage to get it to a point that it doesn't look rooted and use a manufacturer's warranty to get a replacement, you've just cheated the system. Done something unethical.

It's hard to believe that anyone could go into rooting an evo 3d without realizing they are voiding their warranty. (I could see one click methods being used without that knowledge maybe).

And the fact of the matter is, if something happens to your phone because of, or through the process of rooting, it's not HTC's or any other manufacturer's fault. It's yours. And the company shouldn't have to pay for your risk. No matter what method you took to use the risk.

The manufacturer warranty is for the intended use of the phone. Nothing else. And the way this world runs, anytime people abuse these things we only end up seeing locked bootloaders, and more restrictive warranties.

Honesty is tough, but cheating only hurts everyone. That's why we have those sayings about everyone suffering for one guy's wrongdoings.

The best way to insure nothing bad will happen to your phone from your own use is not to root it. (And to look closely at apps you download...)

But if you do choose to root your phone, you should really own up to the risks you took. No matter the method.

Personally, I'll wait for HTC's tool. I know it voids my warranty, but at least I feel a little safer using it than the current methods out there.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably going to say something unpopular here, but that doesn't make it less true.

If you root your phone without using HTC's tool, you have still voided your warranty. (And yes, if you use HTC's tool you probably have, since it says as much in the facebook post).

If you brick it, and manage to get it to a point that it doesn't look rooted and use a manufacturer's warranty to get a replacement, you've just cheated the system. Done something unethical.

It's hard to believe that anyone could go into rooting an evo 3d without realizing they are voiding their warranty. (I could see one click methods being used without that knowledge maybe).

And the fact of the matter is, if something happens to your phone because of, or through the process of rooting, it's not HTC's or any other manufacturer's fault. It's yours. And the company shouldn't have to pay for your risk. No matter what method you took to use the risk.

The manufacturer warranty is for the intended use of the phone. Nothing else. And the way this world runs, anytime people abuse these things we only end up seeing locked bootloaders, and more restrictive warranties.

Honesty is tough, but cheating only hurts everyone. That's why we have those sayings about everyone suffering for one guy's wrongdoings.

The best way to insure nothing bad will happen to your phone from your own use is not to root it. (And to look closely at apps you download...)

But if you do choose to root your phone, you should really own up to the risks you took. No matter the method.

Personally, I'll wait for HTC's tool. I know it voids my warranty, but at least I feel a little safer using it than the current methods out there.

The problem I have with your reason for using the HTC unlock tool, is what about actual problems with the phone not created by rooting? By using the HTC unlock tool you are letting them off the hook for actual defects in the phone. They could just say "sorry you voided your warranty, we would love to help, but we can't. Sorry. "

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, I still see claims via the Insurance for "lost" phones. Yes, there's still money involved, but it's no where near having to pay the full retail price. I agree with a few points above indicating the lack of understanding what root is and the issues that may arise if the end users doesn't know what they are doing.

Lets hope people are ethical and don't abuse their own faults... after-all, everyone will be on the short end of the stick when the deductible policy increases again...

Reactions: CarrieK

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I can't necessarily disagree with much of what you're saying but you're saying it in a black-and-white way.

If I root my phone and overclock my processor and it blows up, sure I'm cheating the system if I get another warranty replacement phone.

However, if I've rooted and left well enough alone and I have a display issue, or a faulty power plug, or bad SD card slot or something other along those lines, simply rooting shouldn't void my warranty for manufacturing defects.

Imagine if PC manufacturers would only warranty their systems if ONE version of Windows (or Linux) was on there? Would they get away with saying I voided my warranty if I load a different version of an OS on my computer? It's becoming the same with cellphones.

Reactions: websterzx10r1

canterrain

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site

I think that's where the can and could part of HTC's facebook page come in.

They've been one of the best companies I have ever seen for taking care of the customer. I've seen them honor a manufacturer warranty where the carrier didn't, only asking that the customers send the phones in.

If your phone legitimately craps out after you used HTC's tool, I think they would take care of it. If they didn't, then I'd be willing to vote with my dollars and move on.

I even alluded to that in my original post when I talked on cheating the system.

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm a Lead Technician at an indirect Sprint Authorized Sprint Repair Center. Here's the official Sprint policy on handling rooted devices. Note at the bottom, we reload your software if it's rooted, and if your phone still doesn't work, we exchange it. As long as that TEP is on there we can swap it for free. Without it? $35. Just don't break your phone or get it wet and you won't be out a lot of money.

Code:
Handling Rooted Android Devices Policy (ASC)
Version 5.0 ? 2011 ?Sprint. Sprint and the logo are trademarks of Sprint. Other marks are the property of their
respective owners.
4/4/11
1 of 1
Store Type Authorized Service Center
Device Type Sprint (CDMA) and Nextel (iDEN)
Overview
Rooting a phone (or getting root) is the process of modifying the operating system on a
device to obtain complete control over it. By rooting a device, the user can then alter certain
built-in functionality of the device. Rooting is strongly discouraged by Sprint and device
manufacturers.
Since there is currently no way of proving that a device has been rooted by a customer,
suspected rooted devices should be handled as follows:
Advanced Exchange Locations
If the customer is experiencing issues that are suspect to be caused by rooting the device
Step Action
Educate the customer on the risks involved in rooting their device:
• Rooting can cause irreparable damage to the device.
• Rooting can result in an inoperable device.
• Rooting may result in all customer data and customizations being lost.
Open and eTicket and exchange the device per standard Advanced Exchange
procedures. NOTE: Refer to AE Transactions M&P for more information.
In the eTicket, document the specific issues with the device and note that the device is
suspected of being rooted.
Full Service or Service Only Locations
If the customer is experiencing issues that are suspect to be caused by rooting the device
Step Action
Educate the customer on the risks involved in rooting their device:
• Rooting can cause irreparable damage to the device.
• Rooting can result in an inoperable device.
• Rooting may result in all customer data and customizations being lost.
Open an eTicket and document the specific issues with the device. Also, note that the
device is suspected of being rooted.
3 Attempt to resolve the issue by reloading the device software.
If the issue cannot be resolved, exchange the device per standard Advanced Exchange
procedures. NOTE: Refer to AE Transactions M&P for more information.

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I think that's where the can and could part of HTC's facebook page come in.

If your phone legitimately craps out after you used HTC's tool, I think they would take care of it. If they didn't, then I'd be willing to vote with my dollars and move on.

I even alluded to that in my original post when I talked on cheating the system.

Yeah...I wouldn't bet my money on a corporation ignoring their own disclaimer and taking money out of their own pockets and giving it to me just to be nice if I break something that is officially out of warranty. That just doesn't make for a profitable business.

The whole reason for the disclaimer is to save money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2